Faith, Facts & Foundational Goals
FACTS & FIGURES
Founded in 1976 as a ministry of Immanuel Bible Church.
Conveniently located in Springfield, Virginia in Fairfax County on a 14-acre campus. We serve students from Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C. and we are only minutes from I-394 and I-495.
- Over 470 students enrolled in kindergarten through tenth grades. Eleventh grade will be added in fall 2020 and twelfth grade will be offered in fall 2021.
- A diverse student body:
- African-American: 11%
- African: 2%
- Asian: 6%
- Hispanic: 7%
- Indian: < 1%
- Anglo: 52%
- Bi-racial: 12%
- Other: 9%
- Over 100 area churches are represented in our student body.
Our gifted instructors are spiritually mature, 26% hold advanced degrees and 72% have over five years experience.
- Kindergarten: average 43 students in three classrooms with three kindergarten teachers, three teaching assistants; specialized teachers visit for art, music and Spanish. Students visit teachers for Bible, P.E. and library; recess twice a day
- Elementary Grades 1-4: average 44 students per grade; each grade has two classes with two teachers, two teaching assistants; students visit teachers for Bible, science labs, P.E., art, music, Spanish, and library classes
- Middle School Grades 5-8: average 42 students per grade; each grade has two classes with two teachers; fifth grade has a teaching assistant; students visit teachers for Bible, science labs, P.E., art, music, Foreign Languages, library and math
- High School Grades 9 & 10: opened in fall 2019 with twenty-eight students. Our plan adds 11th and 12th grades in the successive two years completing the high school expansion in fall 2021. When the expansion is complete our high school program will accommodate a student body of 200, 50 students per grade. Our program is comprehensive, college preparatory, and taught within a Christian framework. The high school academic program is designed to lay a solid academic, intellectual, and spiritual foundation and challenge students to excel as they are being prepared for our nation’s best colleges and universities.
Tuition Discounts & Assistance
Over $500,000 of need-based tuition assistance awarded annually.
The Results Speak For Themselves
- High schools our Lower School graduates attend:
Ad Fontes Academy
Episcopal High School
Fairfax County Public Schools
Flint Hill School
Fork Union Military Academy
Immanuel Christian High School
Paul VI High School
Thomas Jefferson School for Science and Technology
Trinity Christian High School
Trinity at Meadview
- Universities our graduates attend:
Armed Forces Service Academies
Christopher Newport University
East Carolina University
Georgia Institute of Technology
George Mason University
Grove City College
James Madison University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of South Carolina
University of Virginia
William and Mary College
Accreditations & Memberships
Immanuel Christian School will admit students of any race, color, national, or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally made available to students at the school. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin in administration of admissions policies, educational programs, financial aid, athletic and other school-administered programs.
Ministry & Governance
Immanuel Christian School is governed by a self-perpetuating School Board and is blessed to be a ministry of Immanuel Bible Church (IBC). Because of the close relationship, the ICS school board acts as a council of the IBC Elder Board. Aside from normal management responsibilities, the school board is also charged with the spiritual oversight of ICS. All are members of IBC and currently have or previously had children attend ICS and we are blessed to have members who are well qualified both professionally and spiritually to provide leadership for ICS. Every member of the board considers his work an important ministry.
“Exploring the Truth with our Head, Heart and Hands”
Jesus said, “Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” John 18:37
FAITH: Believing the truth by hearing and doing what is true
SPIRITUAL GOALS – The Belief Stage
Emphasis on Spiritual Formation & Christian Character Training
•Scripture reading, prayer, and daily devotional instruction
•Bible instruction & chapel themes on practical Christian living
•Scripture memorization, biblical theology and apologetics
•Active program of community service, missions, and outreach
•Integration of biblical truth with the objectives of each subject area
•Permeation of biblical worldview across the curriculum
KNOWLEDGE: Knowing the truth and how it can be verified
CONTENT GOALS – The Grammar Stage
Acquisition of Core Knowledge & Mastery of Basic Skills
•Mathematical understanding and computational skill
•Language Arts, Phonics, Reading, Spelling and Grammar
•Social Studies integrated with writing, and historical literature
•Science knowledge, experimentation, and hands-on discovery
•Fine Arts, Practical Arts, Physical Education and athletic skill
THINKING: Using the truth carefully and strategically
PROBLEM-SOLVING GOALS – The Logic Stage
Training in Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Strategies
•Literature-based core subject integration
•Science Fair projects, oral defense and presentation
•Book seminar discussion, shared inquiry, debate, and interactive learning
•Integrated and strategic application of problem-solving technology
•Cooperative and small group learning activities
•Outdoor education, ropes courses, and wilderness venture challenge
COMMUNICATION: Sharing the truth effectively and creatively
EXPRESSIVE GOALS – The Rhetoric Stage
Development of Communication Skills — Written, Verbal and Visual
•Research writing, library and media resource training
•Writing conferencing, editing & rewriting, and response journaling
•Young Authors Conference and student book publishing
•Word-processing and distance communication technology
•Skillful use of presentation media, PowerPoint, integrated graphics
FAITH – WHAT WE BELIEVE
We are, first of all, a Christian school and as such establish the biblical basis from which we will teach a Christian world and life view. While we recognize that not all parents will agree with every item in this statement, it is necessary that the parents agree to support the premise that their child will be taught from the perspective provided in our statement of belief.
Our faculty is sensitive to areas of difference among Christians who love the Lord and seek to obey the dictates of Holy Scripture. We focus on the areas of agreement, not on issues which divide. It would be unacceptable for students or parents to seek to propagate doctrines that divide or are not in agreement with our statement of belief.
Please review the Immanuel Christian School Essentials of the Faith, Admissions Policy and Parent Agreement which appear on the Online Application. As part of the application process you will be asked to support these principles in the education of your child, understanding that we will base our program on the implementation of these standards.
Essentials of the Faith
(based on the Statement of Faith, established by the Elder Board of Immanuel Bible Church)
These are essentials of the faith, which are described more fully in the full Statement of Faith of Immanuel Bible Church. As such we believe:
- The Bible is the verbally inspired Word of God and is the infallible rule for Christian faith, doctrine, and practice.
- There is one true and living God, and that He has revealed Himself to men in three personal distinctions of deity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- There exists a real personality who is the author of sin and god of this age, called Satan.
- God created the heavens and earth and all life by direct act, and not by undirected evolutionary process.
- Each person is born with a fallen nature and as a result becomes a willful sinner.
- The only salvation from sin is through redemption by personal faith in Jesus Christ.
- Salvation is by grace alone, and not by works, and that the saved are eternally secure in Christ.
- The Church is a New Testament institution and is Christ’s “Body” for service in this world and His Bride in eternity.
- The two ordinances of the church are baptism and the Lord’s supper.
- There is an essential and everlasting difference between people who are saved and those who are lost.
- Christ will, prior to the tribulation, catch away His church and return to rule during the millennium.
- All persons will be resurrected to eternal reward or eternal punishment.
- The Holy Spirit indwells the believer at the moment of salvation, baptizing the new believer into the Body of Christ and that baptism in the Holy Spirit occurs at that time.
A Ministry of Immanuel Bible Church
Immanuel Bible Church has a rich heritage of ministry to families, adults and our community. Programs such as AWANA for children, our Adult Bible Fellowships meeting throughout the church on Sunday mornings or the many Bible studies and small groups meeting on campus and in the community, Immanuel provides a place to get connected with others and grow in your faith.
Immanuel Christian School began when the leadership of Immanuel Bible Church opened the school in the fall of 1976. As one of the largest ministries of Immanuel Bible Church, we are the beneficiaries of exceptional facilities, the underwriting of utilities and the provision of custodial support.