We believe Scripture memorization is important. The elementary and middle school years of education provide unique opportunities for memorization because children typically have
- Extraordinary abilities for memorization.
- Retention skills which can provide a lifetime opportunity for recall and application.
- Sensitive hearts which respond to the Truth of Scripture.
In addition to grade-level memory verses, students at Immanuel are encouraged to participate in the Bonus Verse Club with our Head of School, Mr. Danish. Why an additional verse? The Bonus Verse is part of a school-wide incentive to help students take hold of important life principles that lead to maturity. In concert with the Character-In-Action program, which is designed to help students put their faith to work, the Bonus Verse speaks to spiritual formation issues and heart attitudes that should accompany our acts of service. Bonus Verses are brief biblical passages that teach a series of life principles; the kind of transforming principles that Paul spoke of for the “renewing of the mind” (Romans 12:2). They are called “Bonus Verses” because they offer an extra Bible memory challenge beyond the regular quarterly Bible memory assignments, and include a variety of annual prizes and incentives. While the quarterly assignments promote memorization for breadth across a wide range of biblical literature, the annual Bonus Verse, by comparison, promotes memorization for depth.
Students proudly wear their Bonus Verse bands as a reminder of the truths contained in each verse.
The Bonus Verse allows opportunity for sustained focus on a single biblical theme for an entire year with a powerful “transformational” principle that can influence the very course of a student’s life.
Below are resources and grade-level memory verse listings provided as additional resources for parents and students.
Bible Memory Verses For Every Grade
15-Minute Bible Study Method
Step One: Read the Entire Passage Out Loud 10 Times.
- Find a place where you can concentrate (no TV, radio, stereo or iPod).
- Look up the passage in the Bible version you want to memorize. Have the printed passage in front of you with the reference.
- Saying the reference first, in a slow, normal voice, read the passage out loud ten times. Read slowly enough to see it, say it, hear it and think it. This will get the sound of the verse in your ear and on your tongue. And it will help you begin to see the passage in your mind.
- Believe it or not, every time you read a passage in this way, your brain is automatically starting to memorize it. If you do this step well, you will avoid other mistakes later in the process.
Step Two: Say the Reference 3 Times.
- Next, read the reference once more while looking at it.
- Then close your eyes and try to say it three times slowly.
- If you have trouble, look at the reference again, read it out loud, and then try saying it again three times with your eyes closed.
Step Three: Say the Reference and First Phrase 3 Times.
- Now read the reference and the first shortest phrase of the passage.
- Remember to read it slowly enough to see it, say it, hear it and think it.
- Then close your eyes and try saying the reference and the first phrase three times.
Step Four: Add Each Phrase and Say it 3 Times.
- Continue adding one phrase at a time until you complete the passage.
- Remember to look at the printed passage each time you add a phrase, reading everything slowly from the beginning.
- Then say everything from the reference to the new phrase three times.
- If you have trouble at any point, back up and repeat the previous step, and then try adding the new phrase again.
Step Five: Say the Entire Passage Perfectly 3 Times.
- Read the entire passage one more time saying the reference first.
- Then try to say all of it perfectly three times.
- Again, if you have trouble at any point, back up and repeat the previous step, and then try adding the final phrase again until you can say everything.
For a more complete Bible memory method see “Mr. Danish’s Ten Step Bible Memory Method for Life.”
Mr. Danish's Bible Memory Helps
Bonus Verse for Current Year, Study Guide and Resources
THE ARMOR OF LIGHT
“11Besides this you know the time,
that the hour has come for you to wake from sleep.
For salvation is nearer to us now
than when we first believed.
12The night is far gone; the day is at hand.
So then let us cast off the works of darkness
and put on the armor of light.”
ROMANS 13:11-12 (ESV)
Bonus Verses from Previous Years
Proverbs 4:23 2007-08 Bonus Verse
James 1:23-24 2008-09 Bonus Verse
Psalm 1:2-3 2009-10 Bonus Verse
Matthew 6:24 2010-11 Bonus Verse
Proverbs 3:5-6 2011-12 Bonus Verse
2 Corinthians 10:4-5 2012-13 Bonus Verse
Psalm 119:10-11 2013-14 Bonus Verse
Luke 6:47-48 2014-15 Bonus Verse
Psalm 24:3-4 2015-16 Bonus Verse
Hebrews 4:15-16 2016-17 Bonus Verse
Psalm 3:3-4 2017-18 Bonus Verse