August 8, 2019
August 8, 2019
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
See You on Campus in a Few Weeks
With the beginning of school, a little over two weeks away, we hope you are enjoying the remainder of the summer. Teachers and summer staff have been busy preparing for the new school year and staff will be here soon for several days of training and planning. Please pray for our teachers and staff as they prepare for the new school year. The ICS team is praying for you, the parents and students, as we enter this new school year.
ParentsWeb, ParentSquare, and FACTS: WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?
- ParentsWeb – Student homework, grades, and Web forms
- ParentSquare – All school and class communication, sign-ups, school calendar, resource documents, and time sensitive alerts (school closings, etc.)
- FACTS – Tuition payments
Openings for First Grade
Continue to spread the word about ICS as you see people over the summer, at the pool, camp, etc. If you have a friend who may be interested in enrolling their rising first grader at ICS, please encourage them to contact email@example.com to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. There are only very few spots still available in first grade for the 2019-2020 school year! Apply HERE. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives!
First Day of School Wednesday, August 21, 8:20 a.m. – 3:20 p.m. (morning option K – 12:30 p.m. dismissal)
We will begin the school year at 8:20 a.m. on Wednesday, August 21, with an assembly in the gym due to construction. Please do not go to the classrooms first. Parents are invited to attend the assembly, but please know that the students will be seated on the floor and there will be limited seating available. It may be standing room only for most parents. The first day of school will end at 3:20 p.m. All students will need to bring a lunch. We are looking forward to a great day and a great school year.
Back-to-School and First Day Events
- Meet Up for High School: Thursday August 8, 6:30-7:00 p.m.- Building tour. 7:00-8:30 p.m.- in the Atrium. RSVP HERE
- Meet & Greet for K – 8th grades: Monday, August 19, 6:00-6:45 p.m. Bring any school supplies you purchased and meet your child’s teacher. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. to purchase PE uniforms for grades 6-8 ($20), pick up your carpool number, purchase an ESV Bible, meet with the school nurse, and see used uniform giveaway.
- ALL 5th, 6th, 7th& 8th Grade Student and Parent Orientation: Monday, August 19, 7:00-8:00 p.m. Note: Childcare for school-aged siblings available with reservations HERE.
- HS Opening Assembly: Tuesday, August 20, 8:00-8:30 a.m. in the Atrium
- HS Parent Information Session: Tuesday, August 20, 8:30-9:00 a.m. in the Atrium
- K-8thGrade 1st Day of School Assembly in the gym. Gym opens at 8:00 a.m.
- New Parent Orientation: Wednesday, August 21, 8:40-10:00 a.m. in the Atrium.
- Information Fair in Atrium 8:40-11:00 a.m. – Lobby outside Atrium
Important Information for New Families
Welcome to ICS! In order to be ready to begin the school year, please complete the following tasks:
- Email all final 2018-2019 report cards and testing results to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Summer reading is required for grades 1-8. The required books for grades 3-8 are available to be picked up in the school office. See Summer Reading Program for the list of books on ParentSquare. Other books should be purchased elsewhere or borrowed from a local library.
- ParentsWeb is the parent access to the ICS database. You can access web forms and update information, etc. Set up your account and create a password so that you can complete the Back-to-School Web Forms online by to receive class placement information. District Code is ICS-VA.
- ParentSquare Is our primary communication system. Messages will come by email and texts from the school and teachers. Download the app. This is the best way to view the calendar, find documents, and to volunteer for a variety of needs.
Web Forms must be completed by ALL FAMILIES to Receive Class Placement
Please complete the Back-to-School Information and update Web Forms on ParentsWeb (District Code is ICS-VA). Forms are required to be completed BEFORE you receive your child’s class assignment. Below are the web forms to complete (Click “save” at the end of each form.)
- Verify Parent Information
- Verify Student Information and provide medical information*and t-shirt size*
- Provide Grandparent Information
- Provide Emergency Contact Information (must have at least 3) including one local non-parent contact.
- Complete Annual Forms:
o Parent Agreement *
o Responsible Use Policy *
o Field Trip Authorization *
o Volunteer Driver Application*- Check license and vehicle information for any changes. For individuals other than parents, forms are available in Reception or on ParentSquare. Please complete these now to avoid last minute rush on the day of a field trip!
*Forms required to receive class placement notification
The following documents will now be found only on ParentSquare under Photos/Files. On your computer they are on the right side channel in folders. These are also located in the Links section which will take you right to that folder:
Resource Documents Found on ParentSquare Click Here
Uniform Lists (reminder: all outerwear require logos; no pink polos may be worn.)
School Supply List
Zip Code List
Volunteer Driver Form for Non-Parents
ICS Textbook List
Medical Click Here
Allergic Reaction Care Plan
Asthma Action Care Plan
Virginia School Entrance Health Form and High School Sports Physical Form
Medication Authorization Form
General Care Plan Form
Notes from Clinic
- PLAN AHEAD New medication/allergy/asthma forms are needed each year, so please keep this in mind if you visit the doctor this summer. Forms are available on ParentSquare.
- All New Students: Please remember to turn in your child’s physical and immunization record to the office A.S.A.P.
The clinic does not stock Over the Counter (OTC) medications for students (Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, Neosporin, Hydrocortisone Cream, Tums, and Cough Drops).
If you anticipate your child will need Tylenol or Motrin at various times during the school year for headaches, muscle aches, orthodontic pain or menstrual cramps please fill out and sign our Medication Authorization Form. Tylenol and Motrin need a parent signature only on this form. Please send in the form along with an original, un-expired small bottle/container of Tylenol or Motrin labeled with your child’s name and the dosage you want administered.
For ALL other OTC medications (i.e. Lactaid, Claritin and allergy eye drops) to be available to your child for the full school year, you will need a physician’s signature on the Medication Authorization Form.
If your child has a severe allergy and will need an Epi Pen or Benadryl available at all times, the clinic will need the physician orders and medications on the first day of school. Please print the Allergic Reaction Care Plan and have your physician sign the orders for the 2019-2020 school year. If your physician orders Benadryl to be given for a mild allergic reaction, YOU MUST provide a pharmacy labeled container of Benadryl to the school. Please contact the clinic if you have any questions about these changes. Any questions please contact email@example.com.
Class Assignments Email Schedule
If you completed your ParentsWeb Back-to-School Updates and Authorization Web Forms by August 1, you should have received your class placement information by email today. If you did not, please log in to your ParentsWeb account to complete these forms today! The second wave of class placement information emails will be sent on Tuesday, August 13 in the afternoon. The third wave of class placement emails will be sent on Thursday, August 15 in the afternoon. The last wave of class placement information emails will be sent on Monday, August 19. If Web Forms are still not completed by the Meet & Greet, you must complete them at school prior to dropping off school supplies in your child’s classroom. Contact Lauren Gessner with any questions.
All 3rd – 8th Graders Need an ESV Student Study Bible published by Crossway
All 3rd through 8th graders are required to have ESV Student Study Bibles published by Crossway. Students, who have an ESV Student Study Bible from last year, please bring it with you on Meet and Greet night. Third through eighth graders who do not have one may purchase one from the Immanuel Christian Bookstore for a greatly discounted price of $20. They are available this year in grey and blue. For your convenience, Immanuel Christian Bookstore will have them available for purchase during the Meet and Greet event. Look for their cart near the glass breezeway at the Meet and Greet event. Cash and checks made out to Immanuel Christian Bookstore will be accepted. Students may also purchase them any time before school starts from Immanuel Christian Bookstore. Make sure to mention that you are an ICS student when checking out in order to receive the school discount.
Uniform Giveaway at the Meet & Greet – DROP OFF USED UNIFORMS NOW!
Parents, if you missed our Spring Used Uniform Giveaway you have another chance to participate between now and the Meet & Greet in August! Do you have used uniforms to pass on? Please drop them off at ICS anytime this summer during summer office hours. Want to look for free used uniforms? Used uniforms will be on display for giveaway at the Meet & Greet on Monday evening, August 19.
Job Opening for Transportation Coordinator
This part-time position will oversee the shuttle transportation for ICS field trips and athletic events.
The Transportation Coordinator is responsible for maintaining the shuttles for safe travel.
- Keep the shuttles in good running condition, including managing the maintenance schedule for oil changes, tire rotations, fluid levels and conditions, etc.
- Keep shuttles up to date for inspections
- Take shuttles to get fixed when needed
- Keep shuttles with at least half a tank of gas
- Assist faculty/staff if a breakdown occurs
- Train new shuttle drivers and be sure that insurance documents are completed
- Be in constant communication with the Executive Assistant and Athletic Director about shuttle schedules
For more details email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application or to ask questions.
Fun Lunch (K-8), Friday HS Lunch
Wednesday Fun Lunch (K-8) and Friday HS Lunch – Sign Up by August 30
First Semester Dates: September 11, 2019 – January 15, 2020.
Second Semester Dates: January 22, 2020 – 13 May 2020.
Ordering opens soon for the first semester only and closes August 30. To see the Fun Lunch Schedules for both K-8 and HS go to ParentSquare Resource Documents.
Second Semester ordering will be open around December/ January time frame.
Fun Lunches for K-8 -are served on Wednesdays during the school year starting September 11, 2019. Subway, Malek’s Pasta, Papa John’s Pizza, and Chick-fil-A are delivered on a rotating basis. You have the flexibility to choose any or all meals, for each student, a semester at a time (NO weekly ordering). The first semester of meals must be pre-ordered online. Please contact Mandy Croushore if you have any questions regarding ordering or payment.
Friday HS Lunches are served on Friday (unless indicated otherwise on the High School fun lunch calendar) during the school year starting Sept 13, 2019. Chipotle, Papa John’s Pizza, Chick-Fil-A, and one more TBD.
Lunch Servers needed
Each week, we need 6-8 parents to help serve Fun Lunches for K-8; 1-2 parents to serve Fun Lunches to the High School. It is a once a month commitment for 2 ½ hours on Wednesdays, from 11:00 a.m. -1:30 p.m.; also, parent volunteers are needed for 1 hour on Fridays, 11:15a.m. – 12:15. This is a phenomenal way to satisfy parent service hours, serve side-by-side with other ICS parents and interact with students. We’ll even treat you to lunch!
Lunch Shoppers needed
We need shoppers (4) to purchase drinks and snacks for the fun lunch program. This is a once a month commitment and a great opportunity to earn Parent Service Hours. Fun Lunch shoppers must have a Costco card and be able to purchase all items requested and stored on ONLY on Tuesday morning or Tuesday night in the Immanuel Bible Church Kitchen. ICS will reimburse you for the specific items listed on your Costco receipt within 7-10 days. Please note we are unable to advance payment for future purchases.
A ParentSquare post will be sent out to Parents to sign up to serve and shop in the next several weeks! Questions regarding Parent Volunteering ONLY……. Please email Donna Melendez.
Smart Lunches for K-8 only: Healthy and Flexible Lunches Available Monday's Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays
ICS partners with Smart Lunches© to offer fresh and healthy lunch options, delivered for your convenience beginning August 21, 2019. Reminder: There will be no Smart Lunches on Wednesdays You have the flexibility to choose how often you wish to order! Several hot or cold choices, as well as drinks and snacks are available. Fall ordering now open! Click here for more details and to order. Contact Diane Carnahan for questions.
Attention all ICS Athletes: See exciting changes to Athletics Program and new Athletic Conference
Here is an update on improvements being made to the athletic program at ICS for the 2019-2020 school year. With the addition of a high school we have joined the Northern Virginia Independent Athletic Conference (NVIAC). This conference will include our middle school (7th & 8th grade) and high school athletic teams. We made the decision to join the NVIAC for many reasons, one of which is that its purpose is to bring glory to God. Some of the schools in the conference are Ad Fontes, Christ Chapel Academy, Virginia Academy, Dominion Christian School, Fairfax Christian School, Fairfax Home School and a few others. Here are the sports we plan to offer next year:
7th and 8th Middle School Girls Volleyball
5th and 6th Grade Boys Soccer (not NVIAC)
7th and 8th Middle School Boys Soccer
Coed Cross Country (5th– 8th Grade)
9th and 10th High School JV Girls Volleyball
9th and 10th High School Coed Cross Country
5th-6th Grade Boys Basketball (not NVIAC)
7th and 8th Middle School Boys Basketball
5th-6th Grade Girls Basketball (not NVIAC)
7th and 8th Middle School Girls Basketball
9th and 10th High School JV Girls Basketball
9th and 20th High School JV Boys Basketball
7th and 8th Middle School Boys Flag Football
7th and 8th Middle School Boys Lacrosse
7th and 8th Middle School Girls Soccer (note change to spring)
7th and 8th Middle School Girls Softball
9th and 10th Coed High School Track
These sports all depend on having enough students that want to participate on the team. Middle School teams will consist of 7th and 8th graders and may include younger students if needed. Although not part of the NVIAC, we still plan to offer 5th-6th grade boys soccer and basketball and 5th-6th grade girls basketball. Our athletic director will be scheduling games with other schools in our area that have 5th-6th grade teams. All teams are dependent on having enough athletes try out for the team.
Middle School Sign Up For Soccer, Volleyball and Cross Country Tryouts (5th-8th Grade)
Parents, if your student will be in 5th– 8th grade this fall they can try out for our soccer and/or cross-country team when school begins. The ‘Intent to Participate’ Web Form can be found in ParentsWeb. Please fill out this form and let us know if your student plans to participate. Try- outs start soon after school begins so it is important to have this form completed before school starts.
High School Girls Volleyball Intent to Participate Form
If your 9th or 10th grade daughter will be trying out for the High School volleyball team this fall, please fill out the intent to participate form on ParentsWeb. Try-outs will take place soon after school begins.
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team this fall. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Student applicants are welcome but must be at least 16 years of age. Please email Allison Masson, our Extended Care Director, for more information.
Students will have opportunities to learn basic foundations of music for good performance skills. To register, please complete the Web Form (2019-2020 Orchestra and Band Pre-Registration ) on ParentsWeb.
- Beginning Strings – 8:00 am Monday & Wednesday: $350
- Concert (Intermediate and Strings) – 8:00 am Monday & Wednesday: $350
- Beginning Band – 8:00 am Tuesday & Thursday: $350
Private Music Lessons postponed until January 2020
Because of the IBC construction and other space constraints we are unable to provide space for private music lessons this fall. We plan to start them again in January, 2020.
K-8 and High School Car Pool Notes
General Reminders: We have these rules set up for the safety of our students. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Carpool drop-off and pick-up will take place at Entrance #3.
- Enter and exit the campus with a right turn. Carpools should enter and leave heading either northbound on Backlick or eastbound on Braddock.
- Students should enter and exit the vehicle from the passenger side only.
- Please refrain from cell phone use during carpool. We need your full attention!
- If you need to pick up your student for an appointment, please do so BEFORE 3:00 p.m. After 3:00 p.m. students will be dismissed at regular time.
- See Carpool Map HERE.K-8 Morning Drop-Off Reminders: (8:00-8:20 a.m.)
- Students must enter through the Entrance 3 Glass Breezeway (not the Braddock Road entrance) and go directly to the gym.
- Extended Care students and siblings (and other morning activities, i.e. orchestra) will enter through Entrance 8 – directly into the gym between 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.
- Please give yourself enough margin in the morning to allow for delays. You may drop off no earlier than 8:00 a.m. (unless enrolled in Morning Care). School starts promptly at 8:20 a.m., so please plan on arriving by 8:15 a.m.
- Please remember to drive slowly and do not pass other vehicles during carpool.K-8 Afternoon Pick-Up Reminders:
- Every family will have their own carpool number. Each family will get numbers to be brought daily to be used to dismiss students. Our dismissal system uses QR codes to be scanned daily to dismiss your student! It is very important to bring your carpool number form daily! If you need more than 4 copies contact Diane Carnahan.
- The carpool numbers will be issued at the Meet & Greet.
- Those wishing to walk inside to pick up their carpool must park and enter through the Braddock Road church entrance (Entrance #1) and wait in the church lobby. Please bring your carpool number with you.
- Please follow the directions and instructions of the faculty members on duty.
- Pick up students by 3:30 p.m.
Carpool Notes (High School)
We will not be using carpool numbers for high school dismissal. Parents may park in the south parking lot and wait for their high school student to be dismissed at 3:45. Please note that the parking lot will be busy with K-8 carpool until 3:35PM each day.
Morning Drop-Off Reminders:
- Students should be dropped off in the parking lot near entrance by the T-Suite patio.
- Students will enter/exit the building using the door directly into the T-Suite from the patio.
- The high school entrance opens at 7:45a.m. School starts at 8:00a.m.
Afternoon Pick-Up Reminders:
- The end of the school day is 3:45p.m. Students will be dismissed and allowed to exit the building to meet their ride in the parking lot.
- Students should be picked up in the parking lot where they are dropped off in the morning.
- Please pick up your student by 4:00p.m.
Directory in ParentsWeb Unavailable for the Summer
The online directory will not be available during the summer. However there is a copy of the directory with all phone numbers and email addresses on Parent Square under Resource Documents. Please contact the school office for assistance if you are unable to find what you need.
Back-to-School Picnic 2019: Mark Your Calendar for Friday, September 6
ICS’s 22nd Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Friday, September 6, from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. (food, fun, and fellowship) and 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie). Mark your calendar and plan on attending this year’s picnic.
We’d love to offer our parents and students the opportunity to see some classic cars at the Back-to-School picnic. The show will be 6-7:30 p.m. on September 6. Please email Laura Tweed if you have a car that you are interested in displaying. Pass the word along to friends and co-workers!
Bike Donations for Nicaragua Collected September 6 at Picnic
Bike donations for Nicabikes will be collected again this year at our ICS Back-to-School Picnic, Friday, September 6. Please save bikes of any size or condition and bring them to the picnic to help the needy people of Nicaragua. For more information on Nicabikes, please click on the following links:
Substitutes Needed for 2019-2020 School Year
Immanuel Christian School is accepting applications for substitute teachers (a bachelor’s degree is required). Find the application here. Please send your cover letter, resume and application to email@example.com.
Seeking Parent Service Organization Members for the 2019-2020 School Year
Our Parent Service Organization (PSO) is our version of the PTA! The PSO is the volunteering and relationship-building organization for ICS parents. There are four areas where parents can serve at ICS!
- Classroom & Teacher Support:Parents partner with teachers in the classroom to provide support and encouragement. This includes class communication and encouragement, class events and field trips, and teacher affirmation. *We are currently seeking four parent volunteers from each grade to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom as well as with specific school-wide events. This is a wonderful opportunity to serve and use your gifts and abilities at ICS. If you would like to serve in this capacity click here.
- School Wide Events & Community Building:Parents help promote fellowship within the ICS community through school-wide events, parent education, and faculty and staff affirmation. This area focuses on the Back-to-School Picnic, Grandparents’ Day and Christmas program, dinner events, speaker events, parent education seminars, faculty and staff appreciation, Sports Day, Fun Lunches and Box-Tops. *We are looking for parents to help lead individual school-wide events. Please click here if you would like to help or lead a school wide event.
- Prayer:Parents connect the ICS community in prayer through Parents in Prayer meetings, HS prayer initiatives, monthly prayer guides and classroom prayer sheets. *Parents in Prayer will continue on Tuesday mornings with each month having a different class and school focus. Please click here if you would like to join our prayer warriors.
- Character-in-Action:Parents build relationships through hands-on service activities that challenge and encourage Christ-like qualities in our students. *Serve-A-Thon is during the month of October and class community projects begin in January. Please click here if you would enjoy serving in this capacity.
Please email Jen Baxter, Parent Service Organization (PSO) Coordinator if you would like more information. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
School’s Out, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those boxtops over the summer, and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education! This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning cash for our school next year!
- Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Follow ICS on Social Media – Share your Summer Fun
Did you know that ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn? If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. We’d love to hear about your summer adventures!
Immanuel Bible Church Hope Ministry – Donations Needed
Immanuel’s Hope Ministry is low on donations. Take some time and clean out a closet or dresser to help this ministry that helps so many in our community. Drop off donations at the white building on the far side of the ICS Athletic Fields on Wednesday from noon to 4:00 p.m. or Sunday from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. Thanks!!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||FACTS Family Online||Donate Online|