July 18, 2019
July 18, 2019
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
Summer Office Hours
Tuesday – Thursday (closed for walk-in visits but available by appointment Mondays and Fridays), 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. through August 1.
ParentsWeb, ParentSquare, and FACTS: WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?
- ParentsWeb – Student homework, grades, and Web forms
- ParentSquare – All school and class communication, sign-ups, school calendar, resource documents, and time sensitive alerts (school closings, etc.)
- FACTS – Tuition payments
Spread the Word About ICS
Continue to spread the word about ICS as you see people over the summer, at the pool, camp, etc. If you have a friend who may be interested in enrolling their children at ICS, please encourage them to contact email@example.com to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. There are very few spots still available for the 2019-2020 school year! Apply here. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives!
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing her directly.
- Kate Alvarado: Grades 5-8: Science & Math. K8alvarado@gmail.com 970-227-3964
- Danielle Gleason: Grades K-3, Math, Reading, and Language Arts, firstname.lastname@example.org; 703-835-5943
- Lauren Potter: Math or Language Arts, 703-851-7436, email@example.com
- Erika McKellop: Grades 1-8: Reading, Writing, & Math, firstname.lastname@example.org
High School Meet Up August 8 & K-8 Meet and Greet August 19
Mark your calendars for these upcoming events!
August 8 – High School Meet Up in the evening
August 19 – K-8 Meet & Greet in the evening
Attention all ICS Athletes: See exciting changes to Athletics Program and new Athletic Conference
Here is an update on improvements being made to the athletic program at ICS for the 2019-2020 school year. With the addition of a high school we have joined the Northern Virginia Independent Athletic Conference (NVIAC). This conference will include our middle school (7th & 8th grade) and high school athletic teams. We made the decision to join the NVIAC for many reasons, one of which is that its purpose is to bring glory to God. Some of the schools in the conference are Ad Fontes, Christ Chapel Academy, Virginia Academy, Dominion Christian School, Fairfax Christian School, Fairfax Home School and a few others. Here are the sports we plan to offer next year:
Middle School Girls Volleyball
5th-6th Grade Boys Soccer (not NVIAC)
Middle School Boys Soccer
Middle School Coed Cross Country (5th– 8th Grade)
High School JV Girls Volleyball
High School Coed Cross Country
5th-6th Grade Boys Basketball (not NVIAC)
Middle School Boys Basketball
5th-6th Grade Girls Basketball (not NVIAC)
Middle School Girls Basketball
High School JV Girls Basketball
High School JV Boys Basketball
Middle School Boys Flag Football
Middle School Boys Lacrosse
Middle School Girls Soccer (note change to spring)
Middle School Girls Softball
High School Track
These sports all depend on having enough students that want to participate on the team. Middle School teams will consist of 7th and 8th graders and may include younger students if needed. Although not part of the NVIAC, we still plan to offer 5th-6th grade boys soccer and basketball and 5th-6th grade girls basketball. Our athletic director will be scheduling games with other schools in our area that have 5th-6th grade teams. All teams are dependent on having enough athletes try out for the team.
We are looking forward to growing our athletic program and giving ICS students opportunity to learn many valuable life lessons on the athletic field. Thank you for your continued support of ICS and its athletic program. For questions please email Dale Pinkley.
Parent Teacher Conference Day added-No School November 6
To help increase options for parent scheduling we have added Wednesday, November 6 as an additional day for our K-8 Parent Teacher Conferences. There will be no school for Grades K-8. High school will have regular classes on November 4-6. There will be extended care available. See the revised calendar on ParentSquare here.
Important Information for New Families
Welcome to ICS! In order to be ready to begin the school year, please complete the following tasks:
- Email all final 2018-2019 report cards and testing results to email@example.com
- Summer reading is required for grades 1-8. The required books for grades 3-8 are available to be picked up in the school office. See Summer Reading Program for the list of books on ParentSquare. Other books should be purchased elsewhere or borrowed from a local library.
- ParentsWeb is the parent portal to the ICS database. You can access directories, web forms, update information, etc. Set up your account and create a password so that you can complete the Back-to-School Web Forms online by August 1 to receive class placement information. District Code is ICS-VA.
ParentSquare Is our primary communication system. Messages will come by email and texts from the school and teachers. Download the app. This is the best way to view the calendar, find documents, and to volunteer for a variety of needs.
Web Forms must be completed by ALL FAMILIES
Please complete the Back-to-School Information and update Web Forms on ParentsWeb (District Code is ICS-VA). Forms are required to be completed BEFORE you receive your child’s class assignment. The deadline to complete forms is August 1 so you can receive your class placement on August 8. Below are the web forms to complete (Click “save” at the end of each form.)
- Verify Parent Information
- Verify Student Information and provide medical information*, email address* (Grade 5-8), and t-shirt size
- Provide Grandparent Information
- Provide Emergency Contact Information (must have at least 3) including one local non-parent contact.
- Complete Annual Forms:
o Parent Agreement
o Responsible Use Policy
o Field Trip Authorization
o Volunteer Driver Application*- Check license and vehicle information for any changes. For individuals other than parents, paper forms are available in Reception or on ParentSquare. Please complete these now to avoid last minute rush on the day of a field trip!
The following documents will now be found only on Parent Square under Photos/Files. On your computer they are on the right side channel in folders. These are also located in the Links section which will take you right to that folder:
Uniform Lists (reminder: all outerwear require logos; no pink polos may be worn.)
School Supply List
Zip Code List
Volunteer Driver Form for Non-Parents
ICS Textbook List
Allergic Reaction Care Plan
Asthma Inhaler Care Plan
Virginia School Entrance Health Form
Medication Authorization Form
Other documents for sports and clubs, etc. will be added as they are available
Notes from Clinic
- PLAN AHEAD New medication/allergy/asthma forms are needed each year, so please keep this in mind if you visit the doctor this summer. Forms are available on ParentSquare.
- All New Students: Please remember to turn in your child’s physical and immunization record to the office prior to August 1, 2019.
Students will have opportunities to learn basic foundations of music for good performance skills. To register, please complete the Web Form (2019-2020 Orchestra and Band Pre-Registration ) on ParentsWeb.
- Beginning Strings – 8:00am Monday & Wednesday: $350
- Concert (Intermediate and Strings) – 8:00am Monday & Wednesday: $350
- Beginning Band – 8:00am Tuesday & Thursday: $350
Music Lessons postponed until January, 2020
Because of the IBC construction and other space constraints we are unable to provide space for private music lessons this fall. We plan to start them again in January, 2020.
New Student Buddy Program (2nd-4th) and Ambassador Program (5th-8th) – We Need You!
Remember what it was like to be the new kid? Having a friend before school starts can make all the difference and we need your help! This is a great opportunity for rising 2nd through 8th grade students to help new students and families get acclimated to ICS. (Kindergarten and 1st grades have scheduled grade-wide visiting days on the playground.) During the first month of school, new students and their ambassadors/buddies will also enjoy a fun pizza lunch at school! Click here to view the guidelines and student and family expectations. Please contact Lauren Gessner with the name and grade of each student who would like to volunteer. Thank you!
Kindergarten and 1st Grade Summer Visiting Days
Kindergarten and 1st graders and their parents for the 2019-2020 school year are invited to join us for a grade level summer visiting day here on the ICS playground. This is a great opportunity for students and parents to connect over the summer, meet new ICS families, and meet teachers! We hope to be outside on the playground but if it rains, we will move into the gym or student union. Click here to RSVP to attend!
- Kindergarten Visiting Days
- Thursday, August 1: 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, August 8: 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- 1st Grade Visiting Days
- Wednesday, August 1: 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 7: 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Job Opening for Transportation Coordinator
This part-time position will oversee the shuttle transportation for ICS field trips and athletic events.
The Transportation Coordinator is responsible for maintaining the shuttles for safe travel.
- Keep the shuttles in good running condition, including managing the maintenance schedule for oil changes, tire rotations, fluid levels and conditions, etc.
- Keep shuttles up to date for inspections
- Take shuttles to get fixed when needed
- Keep shuttles with at least half a tank of gas
- Assist faculty/staff if a breakdown occurs
- Train new shuttle drivers and be sure that insurance documents are completed
- Be in constant communication with the Executive Assistant and Athletic Director about shuttle schedules
For more details email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application or to ask questions.
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team this fall. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Student applicants are welcome but must be at least 16 years of age. Please email Allison Masson, our Extended Care Director, for more information.
Directory in ParentsWeb Unavailable for the Summer
The online directory will not be available during the summer. However there is a copy of the directory with all phone numbers and email addresses on
Parent Square under Resource Documents. Please contact the school office for assistance if you are unable to find what you need.
Fall Uniform Giveaway
If you missed our Spring Uniform Giveaway you have another chance to participate between now and the Meet & Greet in August! Do you have used uniforms to pass on? Please drop them off at ICS anytime this summer during summer office hours. Want to look for free used uniforms? Used uniforms will be on display for giveaway at the Meet & Greet on Monday evening August 19.
Back-to-School Picnic 2019: Mark Your Calendar for Friday, September 6
ICS’s 22nd Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Friday, September 6, from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. (food, fun, and fellowship) and 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie). Mark your calendar and plan on attending this year’s picnic.
Bike Donations for Nicaragua Collected September 6 at Picnic
Bike donations for Nicabikes will be collected again this year at our ICS Back-to-School Picnic, Friday, September 6. Please save those bikes, any size or condition and bring them to the picnic to help the needy people of Nicaragua. For more information on Nicabikes, please click on the following links:
Substitutes Needed for 2019-2020 School Year
Immanuel Christian School is accepting applications for substitute teachers (a bachelor’s degree is required). Find the application here. Please send your cover letter, resume and application to email@example.com.
Seeking Parent Service Organization Members for the 2019-2020 School Year
Our Parent Service Organization (PSO) is our version of the PTA! The PSO is the volunteering and relationship-building organization for ICS parents. There are four areas where parents can serve at ICS!
- Classroom & Teacher Support:Parents partner with teachers in the classroom to provide support and encouragement. This includes class communication and encouragement, class events and field trips, and teacher affirmation. *We are currently seeking four parent volunteers from each grade to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom as well as with specific school-wide events. This is a wonderful opportunity to serve and use your gifts and abilities at ICS. If you would like to serve in this capacity click here.
- School Wide Events & Community Building:Parents help promote fellowship within the ICS community through school-wide events, parent education, and faculty and staff affirmation. This area focuses on the Back-to-School Picnic, Grandparents’ Day and Christmas program, dinner events, speaker events, parent education seminars, faculty and staff appreciation, Sports Day, Fun Lunches and Box-Tops. *We are looking for parents to help lead individual school-wide events. Please click here if you would like to help or lead a school wide event.
- Prayer:Parents connect the ICS community in prayer through Parents in Prayer meetings, HS prayer initiatives, monthly prayer guides and classroom prayer sheets. *Parents in Prayer will continue on Tuesday mornings with each month having a different class and school focus. Please click here if you would like to join our prayer warriors.
- Character-in-Action:Parents build relationships through hands-on service activities that challenge and encourage Christ-like qualities in our students. *Serve-A-Thon is during the month of October and class community projects begin in January. Please click here if you would enjoy serving in this capacity.
Please email Jen Baxter, Parent Service Organization (PSO) Coordinator if you would like more information. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
Important Information for Parents of rising 3rd Graders
Our Bible curriculum introduces students to Bible study tools in third and fourth grades. As a part of our program we are requiring each student in 3rd grade to purchase the same Bible, the ESV Student Study Bible (published by Crossway) for the 2019-2020 school year.
Gray: ISBN 9781433548055
Blue: ISBN 9781433548062
Please note because the students will continue to use this Bible each year that they are at ICS, this is a special one-time purchase that is not included in the yearly supplies fee. The students will take this Bible with them when they finish their time at ICS.
We are providing you with a simple way to purchase a copy of the ESV Student Study Bible (published by Crossway) for your student as part of the required school supplies for your rising 3rd grader. The Immanuel Christian Bookstore is offering these Bibles to our students for the low price of $20 (tax included) each. Simply stop by Immanuel Bible Church Bookstore*. Make sure to mention that you have a student at ICS to receive the discount.
*IBC Bookstore is closed Mondays, Fridays, & Saturdays. For store hours check out their website (ibcbookstore.com). Immanuel Christian Bookstore is located at entrance #11.
School’s Out, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those boxtops over the summer, and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education! This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning cash for our school next year!
- Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Follow ICS on Social Media – Share your Summer Fun
Did you know that ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn? If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. We’d love to hear about your summer adventures!
Immanuel Bible Church Hope Ministry – Donations Needed
Immanuel’s Hope Ministry is low on donations. Take some time and clean out a closet or dresser to help this ministry that helps so many in our community. Drop off donations at the white building on the far side of the ICS Athletic Fields on Wednesday from noon to 4:00 p.m. or Sunday from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. Thanks!!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||FACTS Family Online||Donate Online|