May 30, 2019
May 30, 2019
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
God has blessed our 2018-2019 school year!
Enjoy your summer!
We look forward to seeing our High School students return on Tuesday, August 20 and K-8 grade students return on Wednesday, August 21.
Schedule for last few days of school
- Friday, May 31:
- No School/Teacher Workday
- 8th Grade Graduation: “A Night to Remember, 8th grade families and special guests only 7:00-9:00 p.m. in the Atrium
- Monday – Wednesday, June 3-5: Noon dismissal for all grades
- Monday, June 3: Last day of kindergarten
- Tuesday, June 4: Silver Diner Fundraiser, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 5: Last day of school – Aloha Day/Dress Down Day – Hawaiian theme/NO Awards Assembly/NO Extended Care
Lunch Schedule for last few days of school
As we get to the end of the school year here is the schedule for lunches for the last weeks of school:
- June 3-4: NOON DISMISSAL-Only extended care students bring lunch
- June 5: NOON DISMISSAL-No lunch, no extended care
Extended Care Schedule for May 31 – June 5
- May 31: Teacher Work Day
- NO Extended Care unless you signed up and paid for the Teacher Work Day (8:00 a.m. -4:00 p.m.)
- June 3: Noon Dismissal
- Last day of Extended Care for Kindergarten – 8th grade (Noon – 6:00 p.m.)
- June 4: Noon Dismissal
- Last day of Extended Care for grades 1-7 only (Noon – 6:00)
- June 5: Noon Dismissal – Aloha Day
- NO Extended Care offered
If you have any questions about these dates and times, please reach out to Allison Masson via email.
All-School Dress Down Days: June 3 - 5
All students will have dress down days on June 3 – 5. The last day of school, June 5 is Aloha Day. Students are encouraged to wear colorful shorts and shirts, sunglasses, leis, or anything that reflects Hawaii. Please note: Dress down code applies (shorts must not be shorter that 3” above the knees, no tank tops, etc.) Please see the Parent Student Handbook for information on appropriate dress down attire.
Report Card will be mailed June 4
Final report cards will be sent by email on June 4. The link will be live for 2 weeks. Plan to print the report card or save it electronically for your records before June 18. We will not be sending home a hard copy.
Silver Diner Fundraiser: Tuesday, June 4
We have a school fundraising night scheduled at the Silver Diner in Springfield (6592 Springfield Mall, Springfield, VA 22150, near Springfield Town Center) on Tuesday, June 4 from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. Take out and dining in options are available! This is a great opportunity to close out another year and say goodbye to friends just before summer!
Attendance during the Last Week of School
The last day of school for students is Wednesday, June 5 with a NOON DISMISSAL. If your child will be absent June 3-4, please email the teacher by tomorrow, May 31. Classroom materials belonging to your child should be picked up in the school office after you return.
Notes from Clinic
- Pick Up Medications: Please remember to pick up all medications you have on file in the clinic. All medications must be picked up no later than Wednesday, June 5. All over the counter medications will be discarded if not picked up.
- PLAN AHEAD New medication/allergy/asthma forms are needed each year, so please keep this in mind if you visit the doctor this summer. Forms are available online. Password is ICS-VA.
- Forms for siblings new to ICS next year: If your current student has a sibling who will be joining ICS next year, please remember to provide a current physical and a record of all immunizations prior to August 1, 2019. If you have any questions about what is required, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rising 6th grade Immunization Requirements for 2019-2020
Rising 6th graders will need an additional TDAP immunization. Please review your child’s immunization record and make plans to fulfill this requirement at your next doctor’s appointment or by August 1, 2019. Bring documentation to the school nurse or email at email@example.com.
Return Library Books
All ICS library books need to be returned. Lists of overdue items will be sent to parents and posted in all classrooms as a reminder to students. Failure to return books will result in a fine for the replacement cost of the book plus a $5.00 processing fee per title. Unpaid fines will result in report cards being withheld. Questions? Contact library staff.
ICS Basketball Camp: June 17-21 Registration Open Now!
Registration is now open for the ICS summer basketball camp! This exciting basketball camp is for rising 4th-9th grade students. Please register online here. Cost is $225. PLEASE NOTE: Due to construction at Immanuel Bible Church this summer, our basketball camp will be held at Holmes Middle School (just two miles from ICS!) Click here to see more information.
Seeking Parent Service Organization Members for the 2019-2020 School Year
Our Parent Service Organization (PSO) is our version of the PTA! The PSO is the volunteering and relationship-building organization for ICS parents. There are four areas that parents can serve at ICS!
Classroom & Teacher Support:Parents partner with teachers in the classroom to provide support and encouragement. This includes class communications and encouragement, class events and field trips, and teacher affirmation. *We are currently seeking four parent volunteers from each grade to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom as well as with specific school-wide events. This is a wonderful opportunity to serve and use your gifts and abilities at ICS. If you would like to serve in this capacity click here.
- School Wide Events & Community Building:Parents help promote fellowship within the ICS community through school-wide events, parent education and faculty and staff affirmation. This area focuses on the Back-to-School Picnic, Grandparents’ Day and Christmas program, dinner events, speaker events, parent education seminars, faculty and staff appreciation, Sports Day, Fun lunches and Box-Tops. *We are looking for parents to help lead individual school-wide events. Please click here if you would like to help or lead a school wide event.
- Prayer:Parents connect the ICS community in prayer through Parents in Prayer meetings, HS prayer initiatives, monthly prayer guides and classroom prayer sheets. *Parents in Prayer will continue on Tuesday mornings with each month having a different class and school focus. Please click here if you would like to join our prayer warriors.
- Character-in-Action:Parents build relationships through hands-on service activities that challenge and encourage Christ-like qualities in our students. *Serve-A-Thon is during the month of October and class community projects begin in January. Please click here if you would enjoy serving in this capacity.
Please email Jen Baxter, Parent Service Organization (PSO) Coordinator if you would like more information. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
Important Information for Parents of rising 3rd Graders
Our Bible curriculum introduces students to Bible study tools in third and fourth grades. As a part of our program we are requiring each student in 3rd grade to purchase the same Bible, the ESV Student Study Bible (published by Crossway) for the 2019-2020 school year.
Gray: ISBN 9781433548055
Blue: ISBN 9781433548062
Please note because the students will continue to use this Bible each year that they are at ICS, this is a special one-time purchase that is not included in the yearly supplies fee. The students will take this Bible with them when they finish their time at ICS.
We are providing you with a simple way to purchase a copy of the ESV Student Study Bible (published by Crossway) for your student as part of the required school supplies for your rising 3rd grader. The Immanuel Christian Bookstore is offering these Bibles to our students for the low price of $20 (tax included) each. Simply stop by Immanuel Bible Church Bookstore*. Make sure to mention that you have a student at ICS to receive the discount.
*IBC Bookstore is closed Mondays, Fridays, & Saturdays. For store hours check out their website (ibcbookstore.com). Immanuel Christian Bookstore is located at entrance #11.
Employment Opening – Athletic Director and Recess Supervisor Position for 2019-2020
If you are interested or know someone who might be interested in the Athletic Director or Recess Supervisor (part-time) positions for next year, please email Dale Pinkley.
ICS awarded Valued Partnership Recognition Award
Our 3rd grade community partner, Little River Glen Senior Center nominated Immanuel Christian School for a Valued Partnership Recognition Award through The Fairfax County Department of Neighborhood and Community Services. Mrs. Atkinson, our Character in Action Program Coordinator was honored to attend the ceremony on May 23, 2019 and happily received the award on behalf of ICS. Great job 3rd grade for your faithful partnership and friendship to your senior friends throughout the past 12 years. Now that is faithfulness. It is a joy to see God build these lasting partnerships through our students and teachers.
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Student applicants are welcome but must be at least 16 years of age. Please email Allison Masson, Extended Care Director, for more information.
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing her directly.
- Kate Alvarado: Grades 5-8: Science & Math. K8alvarado@gmail.com (970)227-3964
- Danielle Gleason: Grades K-3, Math, Reading, and Language Arts, firstname.lastname@example.org; 703-835-5943
- Lauren Potter: Math or Language Arts, 703-851-7436, email@example.com
- Erika McKellop: Grades 1-8: Reading, Writing, & Math, firstname.lastname@example.org
New Student Buddy Program – We Need You!
Remember what it was like to be the new kid? Having a friend before school starts can make all the difference and we need your help! This is a great opportunity for rising 2nd through 8th grade students to help new students and families get acclimated to ICS. (Kindergarten and 1st grades have scheduled grade-wide visiting days on the playground.) During the first month of school, new students and their buddies will also enjoy a fun pizza lunch at school! Click here to view the guidelines and student and family expectations. Please contact Lauren Gessner with the name and grade of each student who would like to volunteer. Thank you!
Kindergarten and 1st Grade Summer Visiting Days
Kindergarten and 1st graders for the 2019-2020 school year are invited to join us for a grade level summer visiting day here on the ICS playground. This is a great opportunity for students to connect over the summer, meet new ICS families, and interact with the teachers! We hope to be outside on the playground but if it rains, we will move into the gym. Click here to RSVP to attend one or both!
- Kindergarten Visiting Days
- Thursday, August 1: 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, August 8: 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- 1st Grade Visiting Days
- Wednesday, August 31: 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 7: 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Summer Mailings & Data Changes
In the Loop e-newsletters will come out through ParentSquare according to your preferences (email, text) in July and August. Watch your inbox or ParentSquare account or app! Please continue to update your contact information on FACTS Family Online. The Family Directory will be available over the summer on FACTS Family Online (ParentsWeb) under Resource Documents only.
Summer Reading Requirements
All students in grades 1-10 are required to participate in the ICS Summer Reading Program. Students will be given the summer reading program guidelines and rising 3rd-10th graders will be given one of their required books for summer reading on the last day of school.
Class Placement for 2019-2020
Due to ongoing changes during the summer admissions process, class placement will be given to parents in August after all Web Forms are completed on FACTS Family Online.
Parents in Prayer
We wish to express heartfelt thanks to the group of parents who faithfully came each week to pray for Immanuel Christian School throughout the school year. Please consider joining the prayer team for the 2019-2020 school year. This is a vitally important ministry within our school family! Parent Service Hours may be earned for this as well.
Thank You Parent Volunteers
We could not be as efficient or creative without our parent volunteers. Thank you for partnering with us and for your hard work and support throughout the school year. Special thanks to the parents who volunteered to listen to Bible verses this year. We had a great response to our request for listeners and having many volunteers helped the recitation time go smoothly. We appreciate you! Thanks also for those who helped to serve our Fun Lunches.
2019-2020 ICS School Calendar
Click here to see the updated 2019-2020 ICS School Calendar.
August 30, 2019: Classes will be held as usual on the Friday prior to Labor Day, August 30. We are aware that Fairfax County will no longer hold classes on this date as mandated by state law. As a private school, ICS has the option to design an independent calendar from local county school systems and we have decided to continue with a normal school schedule on this date. As always, our families have the option to notify the school of their child’s absence in the event this schedule conflicts with your family plans.
Summer Office Hours
Please note our summer office hours begin Thursday, June 6. Our hours will be 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Beginning Monday, June 10, the office will be open Tuesday – Thursday throughout the summer. We will be closed Thursday, July 4.
Substitutes Needed for 2019-2020 School Year
Immanuel Christian School is accepting applications for substitute teachers (a bachelor’s degree is required). Find the application here. Please send your cover letter, resume and application to email@example.com.
School’s Out, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those boxtops over the summer and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education! This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these collection sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning cash for our school next year!
- Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS! Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Vacation Bible School: Saturday, June 22, 3:00 – 6:00 p.m. (one day only)
Due to upcoming renovations in the Worship Center this summer, we are changing things up! Instead of a week of VBS, we will have a one-day event. The cost is free but registration is required. Register here.
Come as a family and spend the afternoon learning about our “second” birthday, playing fun games, making crafts and listening to some great worship music. We’ll also have face painting, inflatables and food trucks with yummy food available for purchase!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||FACTS Family Online||Donate Online|