Prayer Guide: November 12 – 30, 2018
Prayer Guide: November 12 – 30, 2018
Our 2018-19 Bonus Verse:
THE ARMOR OF LIGHT
“Besides this you know the time, that the hour has come for you
to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed.
The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.”
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
“Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods.”
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Please click here for a printer-friendly copy of the Prayer Guide.
Season of Thanksgiving — Pray for our hearts to be aware and focused on the Lord’s grace and provisions in our lives during this season of thankfulness. Pray for safety for those who are traveling during the Thanksgiving holiday. Pray for family relationships to be strengthened as we gather together with loved ones.
Parent Volunteers — We thank God for each and every one of you who has served in some way so far this school year. We could not fulfill our mission here at ICS without all of your help and support!
Basketball season starting up — Basketball tryouts will begin later this month and continue into early December for Boys and Girls JV and Varsity teams. Please pray for the students as they try out and for the coaches as they choose teams and begin the new season.
First Look Fridays — Our next two open houses will be November 30 and December 14. Pray for our parent tour guides, that they will represent ICS effectively to the prospective parents who are visiting.
Serve-A-Thon 2018 — Praises to God for the exciting opportunities our students and teachers had to put their faith into action over the last month. What a blessed month it has been as we’ve seen the students “Live, Serve and Give like you are loved!”
We especially thank God for:
- the safety of the students as they served
- the relationships that continue to be cultivated with people in the community
- the 2000+ volunteer hours that were logged at local parks, fire stations, churches and schools and at ICS
- the donations that allowed us to exceed our $70,000 goal
- the ability we now have to give our sister schools $1500 each, in Romania, Rwanda and India
High School Committee —
- “Take A Look Tuesdays”, our High School Preview meetings, are underway! The next morning meeting will be December 11. Please ask God to direct additional families to our high school program.
- Please continue to pray for the High School Committee, the Capital Campaign Committee and the School Board as they trust the Lord to go before them in the ongoing planning for the high school.
- Ask God for His help in hiring exceptional high school faculty who desire to mentor and challenge young men and women to grow spiritually, academically, socially and athletically.
- Pray also for continued wisdom in final lease negotiations, the hiring of architectural and construction firms and the approval process from Fairfax County.
- Praise God for those families who indicated strong interest in enrollment by taking advantage of the Pre-Commitment option
Parents in Prayer – Please join us on Tuesday mornings at 8:30 a.m. after morning drop-off.
You are invited to join other parents every Tuesday morning at 8:30 a.m. to pray for our students, our teachers and staff. This is a vital ministry that benefits all of us at ICS. Parents meet in B201, at the end of the 8th grade hallway. Your child’s class and teachers will be prayed for specifically during the year. Contact Mary Sue Smith in Reception for more information. You are welcome to drop in when you can and especially when your child’s class is being featured!
Topics and Scriptures which our Parents in Prayer group will focus on for November 13 and 27.
November 13 – God sustains
Scriptures: Psalm 18:35; Psalm 54:4; Psalm 147:6
To pray for our own children: O Lord, may Your hand sustain ________; may Your arm strengthen him/her.
From Psalm 89:21
November 27 – God is our Strength
Scriptures: II Samuel 22:33; Nehemiah 8:10; Philippians 4:13
To pray for our own children: May ________ be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.
May ________ put on the full armor of God so that he/she can take his/her stand against the devil’s schemes.
From Ephesians 6:10-11
Please pray especially for the Maintenance and Security Staff:
Maintenance Staff: Tom Cowles, Brian Fisher, Stephen Treadwell, Luther Wellington, Miguel Torres
Security Staff: Officer Mike Day, Officer Greg Bulluck, Rich Bates and Fred Nothdurft
We are very thankful for these men who faithfully support the ICS community in so many ways behind the scenes, working diligently every day to keep us safe and keep the school building in excellent shape. Pray for daily wisdom for them in their work and God’s blessings to their families.
Please pray especially for the Library Team: Erika McKellop, Julianna Mays and Kristin Griffin
- Thank God for the opportunities to collaborate with faculty who are constantly looking for ways to steward our resources well and integrate library skills and technology in their classes
- Pray for the upcoming Book Fair – that it goes smoothly and that through it God will provide the resources the library needs
- Thank God for the new Smartboards and Google Classroom and all the ways they make teaching more hands-on
- Thank God for the generous Serve-A-Thon donations that will provide much needed library media center upgrades. Pray for God’s timing to be clear on implementing these changes
- Pray for the Library Team as they seek to encourage students in their reading abilities and with book suggestions; for students’ spiritual discernment in learning to research and to read broadly in all subject areas
- Pray for plenty of moments for us to recharge in the midst of work, church and home responsibilities
Featured Classes for Prayer: 2B and 6B
Second Grade B – Teacher, Ms. Hannah Hale; TA – Mrs. Natalie Sullivan
Character Traits: Honesty and Kindness
Class Verse: Psalm 119:11, “I have stored up Your word in my heart, that I may not sin against you.”
Projects/Skills: Family turkeys, summarizing texts, place value, land forms
Prayer Requests: Pray that the students would encourage one another and build each other up throughout the school day. Please pray as well for the students who do not have a personal relationship with Jesus yet.
Sixth Grade B – Mrs. Jennilee Miller – Teacher
Character Traits: Courage & Endurance
Class Verse: Micah 6:8
Projects/Skills: We are continuing our study of the origins of Islam and the ancient Middle East/Arabian Peninsula. We are using higher level thinking skills to compare the differences between Islam and Christianity, and to meditate on how good and lovely the One true God of Christianity is. Soon we will begin learning more about the Middle Ages, and our Medieval Banquet is fast approaching on November 30. In Bible, we continue to discuss what Jesus taught when he gave the Sermon on the Mount.
Prayer Requests: Praise God for a wonderful first quarter. 6th grade is a big time of transition, and we are grateful for the ways we see the Lord helping our students to adjust. Pray for the great conversations we are having as students wrestle with big questions about God. Pray that the 6th graders will grow to love Jesus and hate sin. Pray that God will continually soften their hearts towards their peers, and that students will continue growing in unity with each other. Finally, pray for each student to be encouraged as they work hard and learn to balance the demands of school and extra-curricular activities.
Please pray for Mrs. Jody Lubenec, Elementary Bible teacher, and her classes:
Character Traits: Christ-likeness, lover of God
Class Verse: Psalm 34:8 – “Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good. Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.”
- that the students would begin to grasp who God is and who they are in relationship to Him, and understand their own need for the Savior
- that they would know the overarching story of God’s redemption
- that the students would learn how to correctly understand and read Scripture, through the development of basic Bible study skills
- that the students would memorize passages of Scripture relevant to our Bible study, hiding them in their hearts and applying them to their own lives
- for the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit to work in the hearts of students to change them as we study His Word together
- for those students who have not yet accepted Christ as their personal Savior to do so, and for those who have to grow in their understanding of what it means to follow Jesus s Lord with their whole hearts living out their love for Him in their daily lives
- for the development of a love for the Lord and for His Word
- for the students to desire to read God’s Word on their own at home on a daily basis
- for the families to grow in faith as their children share what they are learning at school about the Lord
- for the protection of class time and teachers/TAs as the enemy does not want God’s truth to be proclaimed and believed
Please pray for these 2B and 6B students: