Prayer Guide – October 1-19, 2018
Prayer Guide – October 1-19, 2018
Our 2018-19 Bonus Verse:
THE ARMOR OF LIGHT
“Besides this you know the time, that the hour has come for you
to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed.
The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.”
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
“The more praying there is in the world, the better the world will be; the mightier the forces against evil everywhere.” – E.M. Bounds
Please click here for a printer-friendly copy of this Prayer Guide.
Fall Sports are underway! Please pray for our 3 soccer teams, JV and Varsity boys and the girls’ team, as well as the cross country teams, that they would learn excellent sportsmanship and enjoy the fun of being on a team with fellow students. Thank God for the fine coaches we have for these teams!
First Look Fridays – Our first Open House will be Friday, October 19. Pray for our parent tour guides, that they will represent ICS effectively to the prospective parents who are visiting.
Serve-A-Thon 2018 – Please pray for the exciting opportunities our students and teachers will have to put their faith into action as they serve others in the community as well as raise money for essential funds for ICS and our international sister schools.
Week 1 — October 9 -12
– Kindergartners will work in the building and on the grounds at ICS
– 1st graders will clean ICS classrooms and leave notes of encouragement
– 2nd graders will clean up Deerlick Park and encourage IBC staff with notes and treats
– 5th graders will work at local fire stations and two local churches
– 7th graders will continue building relationships with students at Annandale Terrace ES.
Week 2 — October 15-19
– 3rd graders will clean up at Hidden Pond
– 4th graders will work at Nottoway Park
– 6th and 8th graders will continue building relationships at Garfield Elementary School in D.C.
High School Committee —
- Please continue to pray for the High School Committee, the Capital Campaign Committee and the School Board as they trust the Lord to go before them in the ongoing planning for the high school.
- Ask God for His help in hiring exceptional high school faculty who desire to mentor and challenge young men and women to grow spiritually, academically, socially and athletically.
- Pray also for continued wisdom in final lease negotiations, the hiring of architectural and construction firms and the approval process from Fairfax County.
- Praise God for those families who indicated strong interest in enrollment by taking advantage of the Pre-Commitment option.
- Ask God to direct additional families to our high school program.
Parents in Prayer – Please join us on Tuesday mornings at 8:30 a.m. after morning drop-off.
You are invited to join other parents every Tuesday morning at 8:30 a.m. to pray for our students, our teachers and staff. This is a vital ministry that benefits all of us at ICS. Parents meet in B201, at the end of the 8th grade hallway. Your child’s class and teachers will be prayed for specifically during the year. Contact Mary Sue Smith in Reception for more information. You are welcome to drop in when you can and especially when your child’s class is being featured!
Topics and Scriptures which our Parents in Prayer group will focus on for October 2, 9 and 16:
October 2 – God is Worthy
Scriptures: I Chronicles 16:25; Psalm 18:3; Revelation 4:11
To pray for our own children: We pray that ________ may live a life worthy of the LORD and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God. From Colossians 1:10
October 9 – God is Wise
Scriptures: Job 12:13; Jeremiah 10:12; Romans 11:33
To pray for our own children: Lord, please guide ________ in the way of wisdom and lead ________ in straight paths. From Proverbs 4:11
October 16 – God is Understanding
Scriptures: I Chronicles 28:9; Psalm 147:5; Ephesians 1:7-8
To pray for our own children: We pray that you will give _______ knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. From Daniel 1:17a
Please pray especially for these staff members: Mrs. Beverly Atkinson, our CIA Director and for Mr. Harry Hubbard, our IT Specialist:
For Mr. Hubbard:
- Pray for wisdom in managing the school technology, in evaluating educational equipment and software
- Pray for wisdom in preparing a technology strategy for the new high school campus.
- Please pray for my wife Karen to grow her ministry to the Christian community with her new degree in professional counseling.
For Mrs. Atkinson:
- Please pray for God to provide the volunteers and drivers we need, as well as for safety, good weather and no rain for our Serve-A-Thon service weeks, October 9-19.
- Please pray that God will be glorified in all that we do as our students and parents serve together. Colossians 3:23 “…Serve heartily as unto the Lord…”
- Please thank God for our community partners as we continue building positive relationships as we serve.
Kindergarten B – Teacher, Mrs. Marianne Booth; TA – Mrs. Karen Thompson
Character Traits: Kindness & Courage
Class Verse: “Be kind one to another…” Ephesians 4:32
Projects/Skills: Character in Action: Be Strong (in the Lord), Protect the Weak, and Love Everyone!
Practicing obedience, responsibility, friendship, kindness and routines, as these skills are foundational to following Jesus. Developing phonetic awareness through reading and writing and understanding numbers and the five senses.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for the development of obedience and responsibility through classroom routines. Pray for the kindergartners and Fall testing. Please pray that they would not be anxious, that teachers would help them by providing a safe environment for the assessment of skills. Please pray for the hearts of our students as we prepare to serve our school during Serve-A-Thon.
8th Grade B – Mrs. Katie Deering , Teacher
Character Traits: Respect and responsibility
Class Verse: “Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!” Psalm 31:24
Projects/Skills: Language Arts Wilderness essay, studying the books of Acts and Romans in Bible and continuing to discuss their upcoming transition to high school.
Prayer Requests: Please pray that the 8th graders will seek to honor Christ through their humility and respect for each other. Pray for their thoughts and conversations while they are on the Wilderness Retreat and when they return. Please also pray that the 8th graders would embrace what it means to be a whole-hearted follower of Jesus, that they would recognize how much they are loved, and that their hearts would be tender and sensitive to other people around them.
Please pray for these KB and 8B students: