September 27, 2018
September 27, 2018
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
No School: Monday, October 8 – Columbus Day Holiday
There will be no school Monday, October 8. Classes resume Tuesday, October 9 at 8:20 a.m.
Annual Fall Assessment Week – October 1 - 5, 2018
All K-8th grade ICS students will participate in Fall Assessment Week October 1 – 5 during the morning hours of 8:30-11:30 a.m. daily. Students in grades 3-8 will be administered the Iowa Basic Achievement Test (Iowa) while students in grades K-2 will take the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) only. Grades 5 and 7 will take both the Iowa and CogAT. The CogAT assessment is not an achievement test but rather a snapshot of a students’ current reasoning and problem-solving abilities. At ICS, the results of these assessments are used as a diagnostic tool by teachers to evaluate and guide curriculum planning and instruction.
To prepare for Assessment Week, please consider the following now:
* Make sure your child has plenty of time to unwind before going to bed.
* Start the morning routine early enough to have a good breakfast together.
* Leave home early enough so your child is at school by 8:15 a.m. or earlier (doors open at 8:00 a.m.).
* Reschedule appointments that were made for the morning hours of October 1 – 5 now.
Students with unexcused absences during testing hours will be retested later in October for a fee of $25 per testing section. Please refer to the Parent-Student Handbook for absentee information.
Serve-A-Thon 2018 Kick Off
We are excited to kick off our annual “season of service” with the ICS family! Our theme this year is, “LIVE Like You’re LOVED.” Several mornings a week during the month of October, the students will hear brief devotionals during morning announcements that reinforce the theme. Here’s what you can do to help Serve-A-Thon be successful:
- Mark your calendars! Serve-A-Thon will take place during the month of October. Click here for important dates.
- Sign up to help! Join us in community service by working with your student as they complete their class service project. Sign up through ParentSquare or email Beverly Atkinson.
- Contact friends and family and ask them to sponsor your child’s class as they serve. Search for your team (class) here and email the link to them. If you prefer, postcards are also available to raise support for students as they serve in the community. Additional postcards are available in Reception.
- Donate online or mail donations to the school office. Last day for donations to count towards team prizes is Wednesday, October 31.
- Click here for more information about Serve-A-Thon 2018.
First Look Friday Open Houses are back – Invite your friends and neighbors on October 19!
Help us spread the word about Immanuel Christian School by inviting friends, co-workers and neighbors to visit ICS on a First Look Friday! Guests can view curriculum, meet the ICS leadership team and have a tour to see the school in action. The first First Look Friday of the year is October 19. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To RSVP or see dates for future Open Houses click here.
School Picture Retakes: Wednesday, October 31
Parents who are unhappy with their child’s individual pictures or who missed picture day in September should plan to have their child’s picture taken on Wednesday, October 31. Recommended attire is dress clothes for that day. Students not having pictures taken should be in uniform on this day. Please bring in your previous photos to turn in during retakes. If you have any questions, please contact Julie Neville.
Library Book Donation
The library is always in need of current, quality literature to share with our students! If you would like to purchase a book for the library as a gift on behalf of your family, check out our wish list for some suggestions of titles here. This is a great way to help the library, plus, your child will have his or her name in your donated book for years to come! This is a great idea for grandparents, as well.
Free Money Programs: Help ICS - Designate ICS for Grocery Stores and Combined Federal Campaign
Every year you can designate ICS with your grocery store’s Bonus Club/Discount Card program. Giant and Safeway stores (and others) will donate part of your store purchase if you designate ICS as your fundraising choice by adding our school code to your shopping card. Information is listed below for easy access to store websites:
- Giant Bonus Card: Sign up at any Giant store or by going to http://www.giantfood.com/aplus.
Our school code is 02077. Credit for your purchases made between October and March goes directly to ICS.
- Harris Teeter: As you check out, ask the cashier to link your VIC card to our school or register online at Harris Teeter – Together in Education. Our school ID number is 5117. Please renew now to avoid a lapse in participation.
- Office Depot: Use the ICS school code 70104941 at check out to donate.
- Combined Federal Campaign. Our school code is #74453.
In addition to the programs above, federal employees can contribute through Combined Federal Campaign to ICS through payroll deductions using ID #74453.
40 Bikes Collected for Nica Bikes
THANK YOU so much for your generous donations on such a rainy morning! We collected over 40 bikes last Tuesday that will be shipped to Nicaragua in November. Thank you so much for your generosity! Several of the bikes looked almost brand new! Many of these children’s bikes will be given as Christmas gifts to orphans and needy children. For more information on Nicabikes, please click here. Contact Beverly Atkinson if you have any questions.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|