Summer Edition: August 9, 2018
Summer Edition: August 9, 2018
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
See you on campus in a few weeks
With the beginning of school a little over two weeks away, we hope you are enjoying the remainder of the summer. Teachers and summer staff have been busy preparing for the new school year and staff will be here soon for several days of training and planning. Please pray for our teachers and staff as they prepare for the new school year. The ICS team is praying for you, the parents and students, as we enter this new school year.
First Day of School Wednesday, August 29, 8:20 a.m. – 3:20 p.m. (morning option K – 12:30 p.m. dismissal)
We will begin the school year at 8:20 a.m. on Wednesday, August 29, with an assembly in the Worship Center. Please do not go to the classrooms first. Parents are encouraged to attend the assembly. The first day of school will end at 3:20 p.m. All students will need to bring a lunch. We are looking forward to a great day and a great school year.
- Meet & Greet: (K – 8th grades): Monday, August 27 from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. Bring school supplies and meet your child’s teacher. Preordered school supplies will be waiting in your child’s class. PE uniforms may be purchased for $20 for grades 4-8.
- All 5th Grade and New 6th, 7th & 8th Grade Students and Buddy/Parent Orientation: Monday, August 27. 7:00 – 8:15 p.m. Note: Childcare for school-aged siblings available with reservations on Parent Square.
- New Parent Orientation (K-8th grade): Wednesday, August 29, 8:45 – 9:15 a.m. – Seminar Room
- Information Fair: Wednesday, August 29, 8:45 – 10:00 a.m. in the Atrium
- Back-to-School Picnic: Friday, September 7. Picnic – 6:00 – 7:45 p.m. & Movie – 7:45 – 9:00 p.m. Watch for volunteer sign up and RSVP on ParentSquare. Rain date is September 14.
We want to let you know that our long-time colleague and Lower School Principal, Dr. Eleane McCoy, has stepped down from her position at ICS and will not be returning this fall. We greatly appreciate her 22 years of service at our school. She has been invaluable in the development of the lower school program. Dr. McCoy was diagnosed with intestinal cancer earlier this year and continues to make good progress in her recovery. She expects to continue with cancer treatment for the next few years. Please keep Eleane in your prayers as she recovers and seeks God’s leading for the future.
We also want to announce that Sandy Potter will be serving as Interim Lower School Principal this year while we begin the search process. We are excited for what Mrs. Potter has already brought to the elementary team this summer. Her many years of experience and familiarity with our school, and the leadership support she has played in recent years, uniquely qualify her for leading our lower school through this time of transition.
Sandy Potter joined ICS in 2007 and has served in various roles including classroom teacher and classroom resource teacher. Prior to joining Immanuel, Mrs. Potter taught upper elementary grades, focusing on math and science at Santa Clarita Christian School in Santa Clarita, CA from 1995–1998 before beginning her important role as a mom.
Mrs. Potter holds a degree in Elementary Education with a minor in Special Education. Her passion for teaching and learning has been evidenced by roles in Women’s Ministry, College Ministry, and in the leadership of her church’s Children’s Ministry program in Massachusetts. She possesses both an expertise and interest in supporting special needs students and their families.
We are grateful for God’s timing and provision and for Sandy’s willingness to assume the role of Interim Lower School Principal. Please pray for her as she leads the elementary team this year.
Class Assignments emailed mid-August
Class assignments for the school year have not been finalized. The admission process for new students continues throughout the summer and will affect the final placement lists. In order to allow the administration the opportunity to finalize class lists, they will not be ready until mid-August. Remember, ALL online Back-to-School Updates and Authorization Web Forms must be completed by August 13 in order to receive your child’s class assignment by email.
NEW FAMILIES: Important Information
Welcome to ICS! In order to be ready to begin the school year, please complete the following tasks:
- Submit all 2018-2019 report cards and testing results.
- Summer reading is required for grades 1-8. The required books for grades 3-8 are available in the school office. See Summer Reading Program for the list of books. Other books should be obtained elsewhere or borrowed at a local library.
- ParentsWeb is the parent portal to the ICS database. Here you will be able to access directories, forms, update information, etc. You can now set up your ParentsWeb account and password so that you can complete the Web Forms online prior to the beginning of school. Our District Code is ics-va. (Details below.)
- ParentSquare: You should have received an invitation to set up an account and download the Parent Square app so you can easily view messages from the school and your teacher on your phone app or computer. You will sign up to volunteer from this account as well. Have questions? Contact Diane Carnahan.
ALL FAMILIES: Forms to be completed on ParentsWeb
Please complete the Back-to-School Updates and Authorization Web Forms on ParentsWeb. Forms are required to be completed BEFORE you receive your child’s class assignment. The deadline to complete forms is August 13, so you can receive your class placement on August 15. Click “save” at the end of each form.
- Parent Information
- Emergency Contact Information (3 contacts needed)
- Student Information
- Student Medical Authorization (height, weight, medical insurance)
- Serve-A-Thon T-shirt
- Grandparent Information
- Parent Agreement
- Responsible Use Policy
- Field Trip Authorization
- Volunteer Driver Application for Field Trips (need driver’s license number, expiration date and license plate number)
- Extended Care Contract Web Forms for all new and returning families (if applicable)
- Fall Sports Intent to Participate-Grades 5-8 (if applicable)
The following documents are found under Resource Documents on ParentsWeb or the school website under the Parents > Documents, Forms and General Information:
Please see the attached 2018-19 Uniform List and the notes below:
- All polos and outerwear require logos
- All boys’ items are available on Tommy Hilfiger
- One style of jumper and longer skirt options are ONLY available on Lands’ End
- Polos without logos and pink polos may be worn for only 2018-19 school year
Fun Lunch and Smart Lunch
Wednesday Fun Lunch – Sign Up by September 7
First Semester Dates: September 19, 2018 – January 23, 2019.
Second Semester Dates: January 30 2019 – 22 May 2019.
Fun Lunches are served on Wednesday during the school year starting September 19, 2018. Subway, Malek’s Pasta, Papa Johns Pizza, and Chick-fil-A are delivered on a rotating basis. You have the flexibility to choose any or all meals, for each student, a semester at a time (NO weekly ordering). The first semester of meals must be pre-ordered online.
Watch for volunteer opportunities in ParentSquare. Questions? Please email Donna Melendez.
Smart Lunches: Healthy and Flexible Lunches Available Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
ICS partners with Smart Lunches© to offer fresh and healthy lunch options, delivered for your convenience beginning August 29, 2018. Reminder: There will be no Smart Lunches on Wednesdays. You have the flexibility to choose how often you wish to order! Several hot or cold choices, as well as drinks and snacks are available. Fall ordering now open! Click here for more details and to order.
Extended Care has room!
We have a few spots left for both Morning Care and After Care in this new school year. Morning Care is available at 7:00 a.m. Monday through Friday. After Care is available Mondays through Fridays from 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. The contract is available on ParentsWeb. If interested, please submit the contract and once confirmed, the payment will be added to your FACTS account.
Extended Care available for Teacher Workdays and Parent-Teacher Conference days!
The Extended Care Program offers care for students on Teacher Workdays and Parent-Teacher Conference days from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Registration is on a first-come, first serve basis because space is limited. Please consider pre-registering because this helps us accurately staff based on enrollment. The contract is available on ParentsWeb.
Fall 2018 After School Club Information
We are excited to offer After School Clubs again this year! Fall 2018 clubs will include Chess Club, Art Club, Lego Club, Cheer Club, STEM Club, Drama Club and a new Cooking Club beginning in mid-September! Elementary Choir will also be enrolling soon. Specific registration information can be found on ParentSquare. Students love the after school fun with their friends and parents love the convenience of classes being offered right here at ICS. All of the clubs will have fliers available at the ICS Info Fair on the first day of school. Come check them out! The registration deadline for fall clubs is September 7th.
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team this fall. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Student applicants are welcome but must be at least 16 years of age. Please email Allison Masson, our Extended Care Director, for more information.
Big Change in Clinic **PLEASE READ**
Starting this school year, the clinic will no longer stock Over the Counter (OTC) medications for students (Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, Neosporin, Hydrocortisone Cream, Tums, Cough Drops).
If you anticipate your child will need Tylenol or Motrin at various times during the school year for headaches, muscle aches, orthodontic pain or menstrual cramps, please fill out and sign our Medication Authorization Form. Tylenol and Motrin need a parent signature only on this form. Please send in the form along with an original, un-expired small bottle/container of Tylenol or Motrin labeled with your child’s name and the dosage you want administered.
For ALL other OTC medications (i.e. Lactaid, Claritin and allergy eye drops) to be available to your child for the full school year, you will need a physician’s signature on the Medication Authorization Form.
If your child has a severe allergy and will need an Epi Pen or Benadryl available at all times, the clinic will need the physician orders and medications on the first day of school. Please print the Allergic Reaction Care Plan and have your physician sign the orders for the 2018-19 school year. If your physician orders Benadryl to be given for a mild allergic reaction, YOU MUST provide a pharmacy labeled container of Benadryl to the school. Please contact the clinic if you have any questions about these changes.
More Notes from Clinic
- Rising 6th Graders: Please remember to turn in documentation of your Tetanus booster immunization immediately.
- New Families: Please remember to turn in your child’s physical and immunization record to the office immediately.
Any questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All 3rd – 8th Graders Need an ESV Student Study Bible published by Crossway
All 3rd – 8th graders are required to have ESV Student Study Bibles published by Crossway. Students who have an ESV Student Study Bible from last year, please bring it with you on Meet & Greet night. You may purchase one from the Immanuel Christian Bookstore for a greatly discounted price of $20. They are available this year in grey and blue. For your convenience, Immanuel Christian Bookstore will have them available for purchase during the Meet & Greet event. Look for their cart near the glass breezeway at the Meet and Greet event. Cash and checks made out to Immanuel Christian Bookstore will be accepted. Students may also purchase them any time before school starts from Immanuel Christian Bookstore. Make sure to mention that you are an ICS student when checking out in order to receive the school discount.
Orchestra Program: Beginning Band (NEW), Concert Orchestra and Beginning Strings (Grades 4-8)
Beginning Band is coming to ICS! Parents, would you like your student to be involved in beginning band? Well, you can enroll them in the new beginning band class starting this fall under the direction of Mr. Morales. This is the beginning of something incredible for the Fine Arts Program at ICS and we want YOUR child to be part of this program! This class is primarily for students who have “NEVER” played an instrument but would like to learn.
We will continue with the full orchestra class that we had last year.
Beginning strings includes violin, viola and cello.
Schedules and Cost:
Beginning Band: Monday and Wednesday 8:00 – 8:40 a.m. in Worship Center with Mr. Morales, $350
Beginning Strings: Wednesday and Thursday 8:00 – 8:40 a.m. in Prayer Room with Mrs. Layman, $350
Concert Orchestra: Tuesday and Thursday 8:00 – 8:40 a.m. in Worship Center with Mr. Morales, $350
We are excited to grow the music program at ICS and hope that you will encourage your child to sign up! For questions about orchestra, contact Mr. Morales. Questions about Strings, contact Mrs. Layman.
To register: Please complete the following Web Form on ParentsWeb.
Instrumental Web Forms:
- 2017-2018 Orchestra and Band Pre-Registration
Private Music Lessons
Sign up for private music lessons for piano, strings, trumpet, and voice. Lessons are available before, during and after school depending on the teacher’s availability and the grade level of the student.
To register: Please complete the following Web Form on ParentsWeb.
Instrumental Web Forms:
2018-2019 Private Music Lesson Registration
2018-2019 Orchestra and Band Registration
Back-to-School Picnic 2018: Mark your calendar for Friday, September 7
ICS’s 22nd Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Friday, September 7, from 6:00 – 7:45 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 7:45 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie). Mark your calendar and plan on attending this year’s picnic. Note: Rain date is September 14.
Uniform Giveaway at the Meet & Greet
Parents, if you missed our Spring Used Uniform Giveaway you have another chance to participate between now and the Meet & Greet in August! Do you have used uniforms to pass on? Please drop them off at ICS anytime this summer during summer office hours 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (Monday-Friday, August 6 – 24). Want to look for free used uniforms? Used uniforms will be on display for giveaway at the Meet & Greet on Monday evening, August 27.
Bike Donations for Nicaragua Collected September 7 at School Picnic
Bike donations for Nicabikes will be collected again this year at our ICS Back-to-School Picnic, Friday, September 7. Please save those bikes, any size or condition and bring them to the picnic, to help the needy people of Nicaragua. For more information on Nicabikes, please click on the following links:
General Reminders: We have these rules set up for the safety of our students. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Carpool drop-off and pick-up will take place at Entrance #3.
- Enter and exit the campus with a right turn. Carpools should enter and leave heading either northbound on Backlick or eastbound on Braddock.
- Students should enter and exit the vehicle from the passenger side only.
- Please refrain from cell phone use during carpool. We need your full attention!
- If you need to pick up your student for an appointment, please do so BEFORE 3:00 p.m. After 3:00 p.m. students will be dismissed at regular time.
- See Carpool Map here.
- Morning Drop-Off Reminders: (8:00 – 8:20 a.m.)
- Students must enter through the Entrance 3 Glass Breezeway (not the Braddock Road entrance) and go directly to the gym.
- Extended Care students and siblings (and other morning activities, i.e. orchestra) will enter through Entrance 8 – directly into the gym between 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.
- Please give yourself enough margin in the morning to allow for delays. You may drop off no earlier than 8:00 a.m. (unless enrolled in Morning Care). School starts promptly at 8:20 a.m., so please plan on arriving by 8:15 a.m.
- Please remember to drive slowly and do not pass other vehicles during carpool.
- Afternoon Pick-Up Reminders:
- Every family will have their own carpool number. Each family will get numbers to be brought daily to be used to dismiss students. Our dismissal system uses QR codes to be scanned daily to dismiss your student! It is very important to bring your carpool number form daily! If you need more than 4 copies contact Diane Carnahan.
- The carpool numbers will be issued the first day of school. Students will be dismissed by name the first day of school.
- Those wishing to walk inside to pick up their carpool must park and enter through the Braddock Road church entrance (Entrance #1) and wait in the Narthex. Please bring your carpool number with you.
- Please follow the directions and instructions of the faculty members on duty.
- Pick up students by 3:30 p.m.
Welcome to the Parent Service Organization (PSO)!
PSO is the volunteering and relationship-building organization for Immanuel Christian School parents
We restructured our parent service opportunities and integrated them all together under one umbrella. Formerly known as Parent Service Team (PST) which supported classrooms and teachers; Parent Teacher Fellowship (PTF) which provided school-wide events and community building; Parents in Prayer (PIP) which met every Tuesday morning to pray over ICS; and the parent volunteer arm of Character-In-Action (CIA) which provided support during service projects and food drives; now all integrated under PSO! [PSO = PST + PTF + PIP + CIA]
There are four areas that parents can serve at ICS!
Classroom & Teacher Support: Parents partner with teachers in the classroom to provide support and encouragement. This includes class communications and encouragement, class events and field trips, and teacher affirmation. *This parent service team will function exactly as it has in the past to support individual grades and classes. We are currently seeking two parent volunteers for each class to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom as well as with specific school-wide events. This is a wonderful opportunity to serve and use your gifts and abilities at ICS.
School Wide Events & Community Building: Parents help promote fellowship within the ICS community through school-wide events, parent education and faculty and staff affirmation. This area focuses on the Back-to-School Picnic, Grandparents’ Day and Christmas program, dinner events, speaker events, parent education seminars, faculty and staff appreciation, Sports Day, Fun lunches and Box-Tops. *We are looking for parents to help lead individual school-wide events. If this sounds like something you would like to support please click here.
Prayer: Parents connect the ICS community in prayer through Parents in Prayer meetings, HS prayer initiatives, monthly prayer guides and classroom prayer sheets. *Parents in Prayer will continue on Tuesday mornings with each month having a different class and school focus.
Character-in-Action: Parents build relationships through hands-on service activities that challenge and encourage Christ-like qualities in our students. *Serve-A-Thon is during the month of October and class community projects begin in January. Please click here if you would enjoy serving in this capacity.
Please email Jen Baxter, Parent Service Organization Coordinator, and let her know if you are interested in serving on Parent Service Organization (PSO) or if you would like more information. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
Directory in ParentsWeb available the first day of school
The online directory in ParentsWeb will not be available during the summer. However there is a copy of the directory with all phone numbers and email addresses on ParentsWeb under Resource Documents. Please contact the school office for assistance if you are unable to find what you need.
Substitutes Needed for 2018-2019 School Year
Immanuel Christian School is accepting applications for substitute teachers (a bachelor’s degree is required). Find the application here. Please send your cover letter, resume and application to email@example.com.
Sign Up For Soccer and Cross Country Tryouts (5th-8th Grade) NOW
Parents, if your student will be in 5th– 8th grade this fall they can try out for our soccer and/or cross country team when school begins. The ‘Intent to Participate’ Web Form can be found in ParentsWeb. Please fill out this form and let us know if your student plans to participate. Practices start the week school begins so it is important to have this form completed before school starts.
School’s Out, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those boxtops over the summer, and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education! This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these collection sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning cash for our school next year!
- Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|