Summer Edition: July 12, 2018
Summer Edition: July 12, 2018
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
Summer Office Hours
Tuesday – Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. through August 3. (closed Mondays and Fridays, but available by phone and email)
Spread the Word About ICS
Continue to spread the word about ICS as you see people over the summer, at the pool, camp, etc. If you have a friend who may be interested in enrolling their children at ICS, please encourage them to contact email@example.com to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. There are spots still available for the 2018-2019 school year! Apply here. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives!
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing him/her directly.
- Kate Alvarado: Grades 5-8: Science & Math. K8alvarado@gmail.com (970)227-3964
- Sarah Calhoun: Grades K-8, Math/Reading/Language Arts, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Danielle Gleason: Grades K-3, Math, Reading, and Language Arts, email@example.com
- Kate Loop: Middle School Math, firstname.lastname@example.org, 703-507-8793, ChristianPerspective.net
- Jennifer Lubenec: Middle School Math and Writing and ESL (any grade), email@example.com (703)261-3717 or (703)934-8550
NEW FAMILIES: Important Information
Welcome to ICS! In order to be ready to begin the school year, please complete the following tasks:
- Submit all 2017-2018 report cards and testing results.
- Summer reading is required for grades 1-8. The required books for grades 3-8 are available in the school office. See Summer Reading Program for the list of books. Other books should be obtained elsewhere or borrowed at a local library.
- ParentsWeb is the parent portal to the ICS database. Here you will be able to access directories, forms, update information, etc. You can now set up your ParentsWeb account and password so that you can complete the Web Forms online prior to the beginning of school. Our District Code is ics-va. (Details below.)
- ParentSquare: Be watching for an invitation to set up an account and download the Parent Square app so you can easily view messages from the school and your teacher on your phone app or computer. You will sign up to volunteer from this account as well. Have questions? Contact Diane Carnahan.
ALL FAMILIES: Forms to be completed on ParentsWeb
Please complete the Back-to-School Updates and Authorization Web Forms on ParentsWeb(District Code is ics-va). Forms are required to be completed BEFORE you receive your child’s class assignment. The deadline to complete forms is August 13, so you can receive your class placement on August 15. Click “save” at the end of each form.
- Parent Information
- Emergency Contact Information (3 contacts needed)
- Student Information
- Student Medical Authorization (height, weight, medical insurance)
- Serve-A-Thon T-shirt
- Grandparent Information
- Parent Agreement
- Responsible Use Policy
- Field Trip Authorization
- Volunteer Driver Application for Field Trips (need driver’s license number, expiration date and license plate number)
- Extended Care Contract Web Forms for all new and returning families (if applicable)
- Fall Sports Intent to Participate-Grades 5-8 (if applicable)
The following documents are found under Resource Documents on ParentsWeb or the school website under the Parents > Documents, Forms and General Information:
Big Change in Clinic **PLEASE READ**
Starting next school year, the clinic will no longer stock Over the Counter (OTC) medications for students (Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, Neosporin, Hydrocortisone Cream, Tums, Cough Drops).
If you anticipate your child will need Tylenol or Motrin at various times during the school year for headaches, muscle aches, orthodontic pain or menstrual cramps, please fill out and sign our Medication Authorization Form. Tylenol and Motrin need a parent signature only on this form. Please send in the form along with an original, un-expired small bottle/container of Tylenol or Motrin labeled with your child’s name and the dosage you want administered.
For ALL other OTC medications (i.e. Lactaid, Claritin and allergy eye drops) to be available to your child for the full school year, you will need a physician’s signature on the Medication Authorization Form.
If your child has a severe allergy and will need an Epi Pen or Benadryl available at all times, the clinic will need the physician orders and medications on the first day of school. Please print the Allergic Reaction Care Plan and have your physician sign the orders for the 2018-19 school year. If your physician orders Benadryl to be given for a mild allergic reaction, YOU MUST provide a pharmacy labeled container of Benadryl to the school. Please contact the clinic if you have any questions about these changes.
More Notes from Clinic
- Rising 6th Graders: Please remember to turn in documentation of your Tetanus booster immunization prior to August 1, 2018.
- New Families: Please remember to turn in your child’s physical and immunization record to the office prior to August 1.
Any questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Openings for 2018-2019
ICS is now accepting applications for a Lower School Teaching Assistant (part-time) and Athletic Director/PE Teacher and NILD Educational Therapist (Level 2 or 3). Teaching positions are full-time and require an education degree. Visit www.icsva.org/employment for more details and to apply.
Substitutes Needed for 2018-2019 School Year
Immanuel Christian School is accepting applications for substitute teachers (a bachelor’s degree is required). Find the application here. Please send your cover letter, resume and application to email@example.com
Kindergarten and 1st Grade Summer Visiting Days
Kindergarten and 1st grade are the only classes who will hold an organized activity on our playground in the summer. Unfortunately, we are unable to host other grade level activities on our playground or gym due to facility restrictions.
July 25 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.
August 8 11:00 – 12:00.p.m.
July 23 9:00 – 10:00 a.m.
August 1 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Extended Care 2018-2019
Enrollment for Extended Care 2018-2019 is now open. If you plan on enrolling your child(ren) in Extended Care, but have not submitted the contract, please do so by August 1. We are working on budget and staffing needs which are dependent on Extended Care enrollment. The 2018-2019 contract is available as a Web Form only in ParentsWeb. Fees will be added to your FACTS payment plan.
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team this fall. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Student applicants are welcome but must be at least 16 years of age. Please email Allison Masson, our Extended Care Director, for more information.
Directory in ParentsWeb Unavailable for the Summer
The online directory in ParentsWeb will not be available during the summer. However there is a copy of the directory with all phone numbers and email addresses on ParentsWeb under Resource Documents. Please contact the school office for assistance if you are unable to find what you need.
Please see the attached 2018-19 Uniform List and the notes below:
- All polos and outerwear require logos
- All boys’ items are available on Tommy Hilfiger
- Jumper and longer skirt options are ONLY available on Lands’ End
- Polos without logos and pink polos may be worn for only 2018-19 school year
Back-to-School Picnic 2018: Mark Your Calendar for Friday, September 7
ICS’s 22nd Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Friday, September 7, from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie). Mark your calendar and plan on attending this year’s picnic. Note: Rain date is September 14.
Sign Up For Soccer and Cross Country Tryouts (5th-8th Grade) NOW
Parents, if your student will be in 5th– 8th grade this fall they can try out for our soccer and/or cross country team when school begins. The ‘Intent to Participate’ Web Form can be found in ParentsWeb. Please fill out this form and let us know if your student plans to participate. Practices start the week school begins so it is important to have this form completed before school starts.
Uniform Giveaway at the Meet & Greet
Parents, if you missed our Spring Used Uniform Giveaway you have another chance to participate between now and the Meet & Greet in August! Do you have used uniforms to pass on? Please drop them off at ICS anytime this summer during summer office hours 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (Tuesday-Thursday through August 3 and Monday-Friday, August 6 – 24). Want to look for free used uniforms? Used uniforms will be on display for giveaway at the Meet & Greet on Monday evening, August 27.
Bike Donations for Nicaragua Collected September 7 at School Picnic
Bike donations for Nicabikes will be collected again this year at our ICS Back-to-School Picnic, Friday, September 7. Please save those bikes, any size or condition and bring them to the picnic, to help the needy people of Nicaragua. For more information on Nicabikes, please click on the following links:
School’s Out, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those boxtops over the summer, and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education! This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these collection sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning cash for our school next year!
- Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
ICS Bonus Verse Wristband Summer Challenge
Join us in carrying the WORD into the world. Take photos of yourself with your bonus verse wristbands during your fun adventures this summer. Post to our school Facebook and Instagram @icsva. Make sure to include #icsvatravels in the caption.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|