May 31, 2018
May 31, 2018
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
God has blessed our 2017-2018 school year!
Enjoy your summer!
Schedule for last few days of school
- Friday, June 1: No School/Teacher Workday
- Monday – Wednesday, June 4-6: Noon dismissal for all grades
- Monday, June 4: Last day of kindergarten
- Tuesday, June 5: Chick-fil-A fundraiser, All Day
- Tuesday, June 5: Graduation & Awards Ceremony, 7:15 p.m. (grades 3-8)
- Wednesday, June 6: Last day of school – Aloha Day/Awards Assembly (grades 1-8) 10:00 a.m.
Extended Care Schedule for June 1-6
Parents, thank you for all you have done to help Extended Care run smoothly this year. The Extended Care schedule for the end of the year is as follows:
- June 1: No school due to a Teacher Workday. If you have your child enrolled in the “Additional Days Contract”, we have Extended Care from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- June 4: Last day of Extended Care for kindergarten – noon dismissal.
- June 4-5: Noon dismissal for Grades 1-8. Please send lunch both days. Extended Care will close at 6:00 p.m. as usual.
- June 4-6 there IS Morning Care offered these three days.
- June 6: Last day of school! There is NO AFTER SCHOOL care this day. Have a wonderful summer!
Attendance during the Last Week of School
The last day of school for students is Wednesday, June 6 with a NOON DISMISSAL. If your child will be absent June 4-6, please email the teacher by tomorrow, June 1. Classroom materials belonging to your child should be picked up in the school office after you return.
Graduation and Awards: June 5 at 7:15 p.m.
- 8th grade students should report to their classrooms no later than 6:30 p.m.
- Grades 3-7 should report to their classrooms no later than 7:00 p.m. in order to proceed to the Worship Center as a class.
- Please note: Kindergarten-2nd grade students do not participate in graduation; however, they may attend with their parents.
- Graduation dress code: Students are expected to dress up and follow dress code standards detailed in the Parent Student Handbook.
All-School Dress Down Days
All students will have dress down days June 4-6. The last day of school, June 6 is Aloha Day. Students are encouraged to wear colorful shorts and shirts, sunglasses, leis, or anything that reflects Hawaii. Please note: Dress down code applies (shorts must not be shorter that 3” above the knees, no tank tops, etc.) Please see the Parent Student Handbook for information on appropriate dress down attire.
ICS Chick-fil-A Fundraiser: Tuesday, June 5 – All Day!
Join the ICS family at Chick-fil-A, Springfield location, Backlick Shopping Center, 6681a Backlick Rd, Springfield, VA 22150 on Tuesday, June 5. Throughout the day, if you mention ICS during your purchase ICS will receive a portion of the day’s receipts. This is a great way to enjoy a delicious meal as a family and support ICS. Stop by on your way to 8th grade graduation! We look forward to seeing you there! Click here for more information.
Extended Care 2018-2019
Enrollment for Extended Care 2018-2019 is now open. If you plan on enrolling your child(ren) in Extended Care, but have not submitted the contract, please do so by June 13. We are working on budget and staffing needs which are dependent on Extended Care enrollment. The 2018-2019 contract is available as a Web Form only in ParentsWeb. Fees will be added to your FACTS payment plan.
2018-2019 School Supply Online Ordering: Deadline June 8
ICS’s partnership with Cornerstone Office Solutions provides parents and students with an easy-to-order supply kit for next school year. Each kit includes the required supplies for every grade level. Just place the order online and the kits will be delivered to your child’s classroom in time for the ICS Meet & Greet in August – no need to store supply kits at home over the summer. Best of all, a portion of the purchase price will go to ICS! Flyers by grade level are available on Parent Square. Click here to order. The deadline to order is June 8.
ICS Basketball Camp: June 18-22
ICS will again host its annual ‘funtastic’ basketball camp from Monday – Friday, June 18-22. Camp will be held in the ICS Gym from 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Basketball camp is for both boys and girls entering 4th – 9th grades. Students from other schools have been invited to attend camp as well. Please click here to register and make payment to reserve a spot!
Big Change in Clinic ** PLEASE READ **
Starting next school year, the clinic will no longer stock Over the Counter (OTC) medications for students (Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, Neosporin, Hydrocortisone Cream, Tums, Cough Drops).
If you anticipate your child will need Tylenol or Motrin at various times during the school year for headaches, muscle aches, orthodontic pain or menstrual cramps, please fill out and sign our Medication Authorization Form. Tylenol and Motrin need a parent signature only on the Medication Authorization Form. Please send in the form along with an original, un-expired small bottle/container of Tylenol or Motrin labeled with your child’s name and the dosage you want administered.
For ALL other OTC medications (i.e. Lactaid, Claritin and allergy eye drops) to be available to your child for the full school year, you will need a physician’s signature on the Medication Authorization Form.
If your child has a severe allergy and will need an Epi Pen or Benadryl available at all times, the clinic will need the physician orders and medications on the first day of school. Please print the Allergic Reaction Care Plan and have your physician sign the orders for the 2018-19 school year. If your physician orders Benadryl to be given for a mild allergic reaction, YOU MUST provide a pharmacy labeled container of Benadryl to the school. Please contact us if you have any questions about these changes.
Notes from Clinic
- Pick Up Medications: Please remember to pick up all medications you have on file in the clinic. All medications must be picked up no later than Wednesday, June 6 or they will be discarded. New medication/allergy/asthma forms are needed each year, so please keep this in mind if you visit the doctor this summer. Forms available online.
- Forms for siblings new to ICS next year: If your current student has a sibling who will be joining ICS next year, please remember to provide a current physical and a record of all immunizations prior to August 1, 2018. If you have any questions about what is required, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Rising 6th Graders: Please remember to turn in documentation of your Tetanus booster immunization prior to August 1, 2018.
Return Library Books
All ICS library books need to be returned. Lists of overdue items will be sent to parents and posted in all classrooms as a reminder to students. Failure to return books will result in a fine for the replacement cost of the book plus a $5.00 processing fee per title. Unpaid fines will result in report cards being withheld. Questions? Contact library staff.
Summer Reading Requirements
All students in grades 1-7 are required to participate in the Summer Reading Program. Students will be given the summer reading program guidelines with their report card and rising 3rd-8th graders will be given their required book for summer reading on the last day of school.
Class Placement for 2018-2019
Due to ongoing changes during the summer admissions process, class placement will be given to parents late in August after all Web Forms are completed on ParentsWeb.
Summer Mailings & Data Changes
“In the Loop” e-newsletters will come out by email in July and August. Watch your inbox or the website! Please continue to update your contact information on ParentsWeb. The Family Directory will be available over the summer on ParentsWeb.
Join a Parent Service Team for 2018-2019
Interested in getting more involved in your child’s classroom next year? Consider joining a Parent Service Team. It’s a great way to get to know students, teachers and families. We are looking for moms and dads who would like to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom. This is a wonderful opportunity to serve and use your gifts and abilities at ICS. Please email Jen Baxter, Parent Service Team Coordinator, and let her know if you are interested in serving on a Parent Service Team or if you would like more information. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
New Student Buddy Program
Remember what it was like to be the new kid on the block? Having a friend before school starts can make all the difference and we need your help! This is a great opportunity for rising 2nd through 8th grade students to help new students and families get acclimated to ICS. (Kindergarten and 1st grades have grade-wide visiting days on the playground.) During the first month of school, new students and their buddies will also enjoy a fun pizza lunch at school! Click here to view the guidelines and student expectations. Please contact Lauren Gessner with the name and grade of each student who would like to volunteer.
Grade Level Gatherings over the Summer
Kindergarten and 1st grade are the only classes who will hold an organized activity on our playground in the summer. Unfortunately, we are unable to host other grade level activities on our playground or gym due to facility restrictions. Click here to RSVP to attend these visiting day options.
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing him/her directly.
- Kate Alvarado: Grades 5-8: Science & Math. K8alvarado@gmail.com (970)227-3964
- Sarah Calhoun: Grades K-8, Math/Reading/Language Arts, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Danielle Gleason: Grades K-3, Math, Reading, and Language Arts, email@example.com
Spread the Word About ICS!
If you have a friend who is interested in enrolling their children at ICS for the 2018-2019 school year, now is the time to apply! We have waiting lists in several grades, so don’t wait! Please encourage them to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives!
Faculty/Staff Updates for 2018-2019
Each year, we say farewell to faculty members. Some are retiring or taking a leave of absence or moving onto other ventures. We want to thank the following employees for their years of faithful service to students, parents, co-workers and above all, the Lord:
Danielle Gleason (Kindergarten teacher)
Karen Nordai (2nd grade TA)
Lisa Oliver (2nd grade TA)
Sarah Calhoun (4th grade teacher)
Amanda Weinert (5th grade teacher)
Taylor Reagan (6th grade teacher)
Nancy Ferrell (MS Math teacher)
Oriana Augustus (MS Spanish teacher)
Travis Briggs (Athletic Director, PE teacher)
Cindy Houttekier (nurse)
Joyce Wallen (Educational Services Coordinator)
Jill Rummel (Search and Teach Therapist)
Erica Granada (Discovery Therapist)
Mary Streitmater (Barton Therapist)
Job Openings for 2018-2019
ICS is now accepting applications for 6th Grade (Social Studies and Bible), Middle School Math (Part-Time), Athletic Director/PE Teacher. Middle School positions require an education degree or a degree in a specific content area. Visit www.icsva.org/employment for more details and to apply.
Discovery Therapist Needed for 2018-2019
The Educational Services Department at ICS is currently accepting applications for a part-time NILD Educational Therapist (Discovery). Minimum of a B.A./B.S. is required along with Level II therapy training which could be obtained this summer. Please fill out an application found on our school website under Employment Opportunities/Educational Resources. Questions concerning this position may be directed to Joyce Wallen, Educational Services Coordinator.
Important Update on School Uniforms for 2018-2019
** Updated Uniform List will be coming soon. Wait to make purchases until the new list is sent out.
Please disregard the uniform link that was included in last week’s Loop (May 24). It is incorrect.
In the 2018-19 school year, ICS will transition to Tommy Hilfiger (TH) uniforms, with the exception of a few select Lands’ End (LE) items. The two main reasons for this transition are lower cost and better quality.
- Logos will be required on all NEW polos, sweatshirts, sweaters and all fleeces beginning in August 2018.
- We have negotiated a significant discount with Tommy Hilfiger to include logos in the price.
- The 2018-19 school year is the last year that pink polos will be permitted.
Tommy Hilfiger Uniform Sale in June
School Uniforms by Tommy Hilfiger has a money-saving special coming up from Tuesday, June 19th through Monday, July 2nd.
- 20% Off Entire Purchase (includes products + logo fees; excludes shipping and tax)
- Valid Tuesday 6/19 through Monday 7/2
- Parents will need a promo code at checkout
- Be watching for the promo code notice in mid-June through ParentSquare
2018-2019 ICS School Calendar: Last day of school date changed to June 5
Click here for the upcoming school year calendar.
Parents in Prayer
We wish to express heartfelt thanks to the group of parents who faithfully came each week to pray for Immanuel Christian School throughout the school year. Please consider joining the prayer team for the 2018-2019 school year. This is a vitally important ministry within our school family! Parent Service Hours may be earned for this as well.
Thank You Parent Volunteers
We could not be as efficient or creative without our parent volunteers. Thank you for partnering with us and for your hard work and support throughout the school year. Special thanks to the parents who volunteered to listen to Bible verses this year. We had a great response to our request for listeners and having many volunteers helped the recitation time go smoothly. We appreciate you! Thanks also for those who helped to serve our Fun Lunches.
Summer Office Hours
Please note our summer office hours begin Thursday, June 7. Our hours will be 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Beginning Monday, June 11, the office will be open Tuesday – Thursday throughout the summer. We will be closed Wednesday, July 4.
Substitutes Needed for 2018-2019 School Year
Immanuel Christian School is accepting applications for substitute teachers (a bachelor’s degree is required). Find the application here. Please send your cover letter, resume and application to email@example.com.
School’s Out, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those boxtops over the summer and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education! This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these collection sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning cash for our school next year!
- Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Vacation Bible School at IBC: June 25-29
Mark your calendars for June 25-29 for the week of Vacation Bible School.
- AM Program – 9:30 a.m. – Noon (4 years old by 9/30/18 – entering 3rdgrade)
- PM Program – 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (entering 4th– entering 6th grades)
Register today! $15 per child (increases to $20 on June 1st). Hope to see you there!
Click here for more information.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|