September 28, 2017
September 28, 2017
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
No School: Monday, October 9 – Columbus Day Holiday
There will be no school Monday, October 9. Classes resume Tuesday, October 10 at 8:20 a.m.
First Look Friday Admissions Preview Days are back – First one is October 13
We have 10 First Look Fridays scheduled this school year – help us spread the word about Immanuel Christian School by inviting friends, co-workers and neighbors to visit ICS! They will have the chance to view curriculum, meet the ICS leadership team and have a tour to see the school in action. Be looking for information to be sent home with your child soon about how you can help promote ICS in our community. The first First Look Friday of the year is October 13. Click here for the full First Look Friday schedule and for more information. Questions? Contact email@example.com.
Serve-A-Thon 2017 Kick Off
We are excited to kick off our annual “season of service” with the ICS family! Our theme this year is, “I have DECIDED to SERVE, GIVE and FOLLOW Jesus.” Several mornings a week during the month of October, the students will hear brief devotionals during morning announcements that reinforce the theme. Here’s what you can do to help Serve-A-Thon be successful:
- Mark your calendars! Serve-A-Thon will take place during the month of October. Click here for important dates.
- Sign up to help! Join us in community service by working with your student as they complete their class service project. Sign up through ParentSquare or email Beverly Atkinson.
- Contact friends and family and ask them to sponsor your child’s class as they serve. Search for your team (class) here and email the link to them. If you prefer, postcards are also available to raise support for students as they serve in the community. Additional postcards are available in
- Donate online or mail donations to the school office. Last day for donations to count towards team prizes is Tuesday, October 31.
- Click here for more information about Serve-A-Thon 2017.
50 Bikes Collected for Nica Bikes
GREAT JOB!!!! We collected over 50 bikes at the ICS picnic. These bikes will be shipped to Nicaragua in November. Thank you for your donations! We also found out many of the small children’s bikes will be given as Christmas gifts. For more information on Nicabikes, please click here. Contact Beverly Atkinson next week if you still have a bike to donate, any size or condition.
School Picture Retakes: Wednesday, October 25
Parents who are unhappy with their child’s individual pictures or who missed picture day in September should plan to have their child’s picture taken on Wednesday, October 25. Recommended attire is dress clothes for that day. Students not having pictures taken should be in uniform on this day. Please bring in your previous photos to turn in during retakes. If you have any questions, please contact Mary Sue Smith.
Standardized Testing Change: Testing will be in March
Due to some administrative difficulties with the Data Recognition Corporation, which scores the Terra Nova 3, ICS will adopt the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS). ITBS is a nationally-recognized, norm-referenced test with reports that compare our students’ test scores with those of students of the same grade in other states. While standardized test scores are only one measure of a student’s academic achievement, careful analysis of group and individual scores can indicate student strengths and weaknesses and guide teachers in area of instruction that should be highlighted or reinforced. To prepare for the transition from TerraNova3/InView to Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS)/Cognitive Abilities Tests (CogAT) this year, ICS will test this spring, March 19-23.
Our carpool system is now up and running smoothly. Thank you for bringing your number with the QR code daily. To help the process continue to run smoothly, please stay in your car during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up in front of the school.
Calendar now on ParentSquare
The detailed calendar has been moved from the website to Parent Square.
- See Events on your phone app or calendar on your computer.
- The calendar has a search feature only on an iPhone or iPad. It is not available yet on the desktop or Android versions.
- Click here for an overview of the 2017-2018 calendar.
What is the difference between Renweb, ParentsWeb, ParentSquare?
- RenWeb is our Student Information System. It incorporates the application process and classroom management as well as family contact information. It is used for attendance, homework, grading, report cards and other administrative tasks.
- ParentsWeb is the parent portal to RenW Parents can access student homework and grades in the Middle School. Webforms, contact information as well as documents can be found here. Students can also access information through the Student Login of ParentsWeb.
- ParentSquare is a communication package not related to RenWeb, though it was populated and updated using family contact information previously provided. It incorporates volunteer sign ups, parent conferences and Parent Service Hours (new this year) and serves as a vehicle for school-wide and class communications from the administration and teachers. Time-sensitive alerts are also sent through this system such as school closings.
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Please email Allison Masson, our Extended Care Director, for more information.
Lunch and Recess Help Needed
Parent volunteers are needed to help in the lunch room and at recess from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily (K-4: 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and grades 5-8: 12:45 – 1:30 p.m.). While you help, you can eat lunch with your child, see them interact at recess and get to know fellow parents and your child’s classmates. We are in need of regular volunteers to help one day a week or every other week. Your help gives our teachers a little break in the middle of their day to enjoy their lunch. To help with lunch, contact Lola Hollenbeck, Lunchroom Coordinator and to help with recess contact Art Merkel or sign up on ParentSquare.
Student Accident Insurance
ICS carries Student Accident Insurance underwritten by Gerber Life Insurance Company. The program provides secondary coverage for school-time accidents. Optional 24-hour accident coverage is also available for parents to purchase. Click here for more information.
General Mills Box Tops class collection contest ends today!
Box Tops earn cash for ICS! Submit your Box Tops, labeled with your child’s name and class, by September 28. The class that turns in the most Box Tops earns a Dress Down Day! Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Free Money Programs: Help ICS - Designate ICS for Grocery Stores and Combined Federal Campaign
Every year you can designate ICS with your grocery store’s Bonus Club/Discount Card program. Giant and Safeway stores (and others) will donate part of your store purchase if you designate ICS as your fundraising choice by adding our school code to your shopping card. Information is listed below for easy access to store websites:
- Giant Bonus Card: Sign up at any Giant store or by going to http://www.giantfood.com/aplus.
Our school code is 02077. Credit for your purchases made between October and March goes directly to ICS. Please renew now to avoid a lapse in participation.
- Harris Teeter: As you check out, ask the cashier to link your VIC card to our school or register online at Harris Teeter – Together in Education. Our school ID number is 5117.
- Office Depot: Use the ICS school code 70104941 at check out to donate.
- Combined Federal Campaign
In addition to the programs above, federal employees can contribute to ICS through payroll deductions using ID #74453.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and every time you shop from the link 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Speech/Language Services Offered at ICS
In response to parental interest, ICS has hired a certified Speech/Language Therapist to work with our students beginning in September 2017. Dr. Tina Eid comes to us with extensive experience in individualized and group therapy and working with children who have been exposed to more than one language. Dr. Eid will be able to evaluate your child to determine areas of need for a cost of $175.00. After an evaluation is completed she will discuss with you her recommendations for length and frequency of therapy visits. Each hourly session will cost $75 (shorter sessions reduced accordingly) and Dr. Eid will work with families to provide monthly statements for insurance reimbursement. If you have a child who you would like to be evaluated OR if your child is currently receiving speech/language services elsewhere and you would like to consider transferring his/her program to Dr. Eid please contact Joyce Wallen, Coordinator of Educational Services at ICS at (703) 941-1220.
JV Girls Basketball (winter), and Varsity Girls Lacrosse (spring) Coaches Needed
The commitment is a maximum 3 days a week for 2 hours (no weekends or holidays). This is a great way to get involved in the ICS family, and show our children how to honor God in all areas of life.
Contact Travis Briggs if you have questions.
Gospel Sexuality: Raising Sexually Healthy Kids Seminar: November 11 at Immanuel Bible Church
It’s tougher than ever to be both a kid and a parent today! The world’s culture is continually pushing an anything-goes sexuality on our children. Gospel Sexuality: Raising Sexually Healthy Kids gives you gospel-centered principles and practical helps to disciple your kids’ hearts and nurture their faith as they face the sexual chaos of their world.
Join the staff of Harvest USA, November 11th at Immanuel Bible Church in Springfield, VA. The seminar begins at 9:30 a.m. and will conclude at 3:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 Single, $15 Couple. To purchase tickets please go to: ibc.church/harvest. This is for parents only.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|