If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
Back-to-School Nights: Mark your calendars!
Due to space limitations, this is for parents only.
Middle School (Grades 5-8): Thursday, September 14, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Elementary School (Grades K-4): Tuesday, September 19, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Back-to-School Night is an opportunity to:
- Learn about expectations for the year from your child’s teacher
- Meet class Parent Service Team members and learn about volunteer opportunities
- Meet the parents of your child’s classmates
- Meet the Leadership for new families: Thursday, September 14, 6:45 p.m.
Standardized Testing Change
Due to some administrative difficulties with the Data Recognition Corporation, which scores the Terra Nova 3, ICS will adopt the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS). ITBS is a nationally-recognized, norm-referenced test with reports that compare our students’ test scores with those of students of the same grade in other states. While standardized test scores are only one measure of a student’s academic achievement, careful analysis of group and individual scores can indicate student strengths and weaknesses and guide teachers in area of instruction that should be highlighted or reinforced. To prepare for the transition from TerraNova3/InView to Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS)/Cognitive Abilities Tests (CogAT) this year, ICS will test this coming spring, March 19-23.
Fun Lunch Begins Next Week, September 20
The first Fun Lunch begins Wednesday, September 20. Only those who have pre-ordered will receive a Fun Lunch. Contact Donna Melendez, Fun Lunch Coordinator, or call 719-510-1709, if you have questions.
Smart Lunches: Healthy and Flexible Lunches Available Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
ICS partners with Smart Lunches© to offer fresh and healthy lunch options. Change this year: There will be no Smart Lunches on Wednesdays. You have the flexibility to choose how often you wish to order! Several hot or cold choices, as well as drinks and snacks are available. Click here for more details and to order.
First Smart Lunch Free for New Customers!
Haven’t tried Smart Lunches before? If you’re a new customer, you can get your first lunch free with the coupon code FIRSTFREE. Just add one or more lunches to your cart, and enter the coupon code FIRSTFREE when you’re checking out. Valid for one use per customer, applies to each lunch. Expires 9/30. New customers only. Place your order at www.smartlunches.com.
First Look Friday Open Houses are back – Invite your friends and neighbors!
We have 10 First Look Fridays scheduled this school year – help us spread the word about Immanuel Christian School by inviting friends, co-workers and neighbors to visit ICS! They will have the chance to view curriculum, meet the ICS leadership team and have a tour to see the school in action. Be looking for information to be sent home with your child soon about how you can help promote ICS in our community. The first First Look Friday of the year is October 13. Click here for the full First Look Friday schedule and for more information. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
ICS Spirit Wear for Dress Down Days
We are offering ICS spirit wear for a limited time through Friday, September 22. Please fill out the order form here. School ID# 131038. These are some great spirit wear t-shirt and sweatshirt options to wear ONLY on dress down days and of course outside of school. These items are not approved school day attire unless designated a dress down day.
Our carpool system is now up and running smoothly. Thank you for bringing your number with the QR code daily. To help the process continue to run smoothly, please stay in your car during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up in front of the school.
See You At The Pole: Wednesday, September 27
All Middle School students are invited to participate in SEE YOU AT THE POLE on Wednesday, September 27 at 8:00 a.m. This is a global event where students around the world gather at their school’s flagpole to pray. We will come together at the ICS flagpole to pray for our school, community and nation. Hope to SEE YOU AT THE POLE!
Calendar now on ParentSquare
The detailed calendar has now been moved from the website to Parent Square.
- See Events on your phone app or Calendar on your computer.
- The calendar has a search feature only on an iPhone or iPad. It is not available yet on the desktop or Android versions.
- Click here for an overview of the 2017-2018 calendar.
What is the difference between Renweb, ParentsWeb, ParentSquare?
- RenWeb is our Student Information System. It incorporates the application process and classroom management as well as family contact information. It is used for attendance, homework, grading, report cards and other administrative tasks.
- ParentsWeb is the parent portal to RenW Parents can access student homework and grades in the Middle School. Webforms, contact information as well as documents can be found here. Students can also access information through the Student Login of ParentsWeb.
- ParentSquare is a communication package not related to RenWeb, though it was populated and updated using family contact information previously provided. It incorporates volunteer sign ups, parent conferences and Parent Service Hours (new this year) and serves as a vehicle for school-wide and class communications from the administration and teachers. Time-sensitive alerts are also sent through this system such as school closings.
ParentSquare: Helpful Hints
- For questions concerning ParentSquare, contact Diane Carnahan.
- If you have not received the invitation to set up an account or if you need another invitation, contact Diane Carnahan.
- If two parents are using the same email address they must share an account, but can both access the same account from their computers or phone apps.
- Don’t forget to enter the code (96167) for the time-sensitive alerts into your phone’s contact list.
- Parents should enter email@example.com in their contact list in order for messages to not be classified as junk.
Parents in Prayer Ministry
You are invited to join other parents every Tuesday morning from 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. in Room B201 to pray for our students, teachers, and staff.
- This is a vital ministry that benefits all of us here at ICS. Our ICS Prayer Guide is sent to every family via email, approximately every 3 weeks during the school year. Please take advantage of this guide and pray for the needs that are outlined there, even if you cannot come to Parents in Prayer each week.
- We also encourage you to share your prayer requests with us. Your requests are shared with the coordinator of our Parents in Prayer Ministry and the coordinator on staff who manages our monthly Prayer Guide. You will have the option of indicating if you would like your requests to remain confidential. Contact Mary Sue Smith if you have any questions.
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Please email Allison Masson, our Extended Care Director, for more information.
Private Music Lessons
Sign up for private music lessons for piano, strings, woodwinds, trumpet, voice and recorder. Lessons are available before, during and after school depending on the teacher’s availability and the grade level of the student. To register use the Web Form on ParentsWeb: 2017-2018 Private Music Lesson Pre-Registration. This will be submitted electronically and you will be contacted to confirm the lesson.
Students will have opportunities to learn basic foundations of music for good performance skills. To register, please complete the Web Form on ParentsWeb. Contact Sarah Layman if you would like more information. Note new schedule.
Beginning Strings – Monday & Wednesday (8:00 – 8:40 a.m.): $325 Concert Orchestra – Wednesday (2:30 – 3:30 p.m.) & Friday (8:00 – 8:40 a.m.): $325
Percussion Ensemble –Wednesday (3:30 – 4:15 p.m.): $220
Instrumental Web Forms:
- 2017-2018 Orchestra and Band Registration
- 2017-2018 Private Music Lesson Registration
Don’t Lose It – Label It! NEW: Order labels for clothing, backpacks, lunch boxes, etc.
Be sure to identify your child’s belongings by ordering some labels from Mabel’s Labels. No more searching through Lost & Found. Mabel’s Labels are waterproof and durable. Learn more here. ICS now has an account so click here to order.
Lunch and Recess Help Needed
Parent volunteers are needed to help in the lunch room and at recess from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily (K-4: 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and grades 5-8: 12:45 – 1:30 p.m.). While you help, you can eat lunch with your child, see them interact at recess and get to know fellow parents and your child’s classmates. We are in need of regular volunteers to help one day a week or every other week. Your help gives our teachers a little break in the middle of their day to enjoy their lunch. To help with lunch, contact Lola Hollenbeck, Lunchroom Coordinator and to help with recess contact Art Merkel or sign up on ParentSquare.
Student Accident Insurance
ICS carries Student Accident Insurance underwritten by Gerber Life Insurance Company. The program provides secondary coverage for school-time accidents. Optional 24-hour accident coverage is also available for parents to purchase. Click here for more information.
Free Money Programs: Help ICS - Designate ICS for Grocery Stores and Combined Federal Campaign
Every year you can designate ICS with your grocery store’s Bonus Club/Discount Card program. Giant and Safeway stores (and others) will donate part of your store purchase if you designate ICS as your fundraising choice by adding our school code to your shopping card. Information is listed below for easy access to store websites:
- Giant Bonus Card: Sign up at any Giant store or by going to http://www.giantfood.com/aplus.
Our school code is 02077. Credit for your purchases made between October and March goes directly to ICS. Please renew now to avoid a lapse in participation.
- Harris Teeter: As you check out, ask the cashier to link your VIC card to our school or register online at Harris Teeter – Together in Education. Our school ID number is 5117.
- Office Depot: Use the ICS school code 70104941 at check out to donate.
- Combined Federal Campaign
In addition to the programs above, federal employees can contribute to ICS through payroll deductions using ID #74453.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and every time you shop from the link 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Now that we are back in school it’s time to start checking your student’s head for lice! Early detection makes treatment easier and lowers the risk of transmission to other family and friends. Mark your calendar and check your child’s head for lice once a month.
Here are some interesting facts about lice:
- Most lice transmission happens with direct head to head contact – for example, sharing beds/pillows, slumber parties or close contact sports like wrestling.
- The second most common mode of transmission is through indirect contact like sharing combs, brushes and hats. However, only 4% of lice cases are transmitted this way.
- Most people have lice for 1 month before it is detected.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics does NOT recommend chemical treatments for lice unless live lice are found.
Speech/Language Services Offered at ICS
In response to parental interest, ICS has hired a certified Speech/Language Therapist to work with our students beginning in September 2017. Dr. Tina Eid comes to us with extensive experience in individualized and group therapy and working with children who have been exposed to more than one language. Dr. Eid will be able to evaluate your child to determine areas of need for a cost of $175.00. After an evaluation is completed she will discuss with you her recommendations for length and frequency of therapy visits. Each hourly session will cost $75 (shorter sessions reduced accordingly) and Dr. Eid will work with families to provide monthly statements for insurance reimbursement. If you have a child who you would like to be evaluated OR if your child is currently receiving speech/language services elsewhere and you would like to consider transferring his/her program to Dr. Eid please contact Joyce Wallen, Coordinator of Educational Services at ICS at (703) 941-1220.
General Mills Box Tops class collection contest ends soon!
Box Tops earn cash for ICS! Submit your Box Tops, labeled with your child’s name and class, by September 28. The class that turns in the most Box Tops earns a Dress Down Day! Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
JV Girls Basketball (Winter), and Varsity Girls Lacrosse (spring) Coaches Needed
The commitment is a maximum 3 days a week for 2 hours (no weekends or holidays). This is a great way to get involved in the ICS family, and show our children how to honor God in all areas of life.
Contact Travis Briggs if you have questions.
Immanuel Christian Bookstore
The bookstore welcomes the Immanuel Christian School families back for the 2017-2018 school year. Shop with us and enjoy the discounts throughout the year. Be sure to shop on our new and improved website www.ibcbookstore.com
- 20% discount every day on all regular priced items
- $10 coupons issued when you use your frequent buyer phone number. These coupons may be used in addition to your ICS discount and other store specials
- Special ordering for books, cds, gifts, cards and DVDs. We order for you and you don’t pay the shipping. Use your ICS discount and the $10 coupons.
- Free gift wrapping.
- Great customer service. We are glad to help you!
Bookstore Hours: Open Tuesday & Thursday 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Wednesday 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Sunday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. & 4:30 – 7:00 p.m. Closed Monday, Friday and Saturday.
Gospel Sexuality: Raising Sexually Healthy Kids Seminar: November 11 at Immanuel Bible Church
It’s tougher than ever to be both a kid and a parent today! The world’s culture is continually pushing an anything-goes sexuality on our children. Gospel Sexuality: Raising Sexually Healthy Kids gives you gospel-centered principles and practical helps to disciple your kids’ hearts and nurture their faith as they face the sexual chaos of their world.
Join the staff of Harvest USA, November 11th at Immanuel Bible Church in Springfield, VA. The seminar begins at 9:30 a.m. and will conclude at 3:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 Single, $15 Couple. To purchase tickets please go to: ibc.church/harvest. This is for parents only.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|