If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
We hope you enjoyed the summer and are ready for the 2017-2018 school year. We welcome new families, as well as our returning families, new faculty and staff. It was great to see parents and students at the Meet & Greet last Thursday evening. Don’t forget this weekend is a long weekend for Labor Day. NO SCHOOL Monday, September 4.
Back-to-School Nights: Mark your calendars!
Due to space limitations, this is for parents only.
Middle School (Grades 5-8): Thursday, September 14, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Elementary School (Grades K-4): Tuesday, September 19, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Back-to-School Night is an opportunity to:
- Learn about expectations for the year from your child’s teacher
- Meet class Parent Service Team members and learn about volunteer opportunities
Meet the parents of your child’s classmates
Parent Service Team Kick-Off Meeting: Tomorrow, Friday, September 1
The Parent Service Teams will have a meeting on Friday, September 1 at 8:30 a.m. in the Student Union.
If you are interested in joining a team please contact Jen Baxter.
First ICS Dress Down Day: Friday, September 8
Mark your calendars….the first dress down day of the school year is scheduled on Friday, September 8 for the Back-to-School Picnic that will be later in the evening. Celebrate your school spirit by wearing the school colors (navy & gold) or wear any ICS apparel with our school logo. Jeans are permitted.
Back-to-School Picnic: Next Week, Friday, September 8
Our 22nd annual Back-to-School Picnic is Friday, September 8, from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie). RSVP and sign up to volunteer on ParentSquare. A special thank you to the Nellis Group for sponsoring the picnic and movie. Rain date is September 15.
Fall Uniform Giveaway at Back-to-School Picnic
The Fall Uniform Giveaway will be held at the Back-to-School Picnic. Please bring in your gently used Lands’ End uniforms that are in very good condition to the glass breezeway of the school, beginning Wednesday, September 6, through Friday, September89. ONLY Lands’ End items will be accepted. We will have a limit on the number of items per family that can be taken, but all items will be FREE! If you have questions, please contact Mary Sue Smith.
Bike Donations for Nicaragua: Bring bikes to school picnic on September 8
Bike donations for Nicabikes will be collected again this year at our ICS Back-to-School Picnic, Friday, September 8. Please save those bikes, any size or condition and bring them to the picnic, to help the needy people of Nicaragua. For more information on Nicabikes, please click on the following links:
- For questions concerning ParentSquare, contact Diane Carnahan.
- If you have not received the invitation to set up an account or if you need another invitation, contact Diane Carnahan.
- If two parents are using the same email address they must share an account, but can both access the same account from their computers or phone apps.
- Don’t forget to enter the code (96167) for the time-sensitive alerts into your phone’s contact list.
- Parents should enter firstname.lastname@example.org in their contact list in order for messages to not be classified as junk.
Student Accident Insurance
ICS carries Student Accident Insurance underwritten by Gerber Life Insurance Company. The program provides secondary coverage for school-time accidents. Optional 24-hour accident coverage is also available for parents to purchase. Click here for more information.
Wednesday Fun Lunch: Sign Up by September 9.
First Semester Dates: September 20, 2017 – January 24, 2018
Fun Lunches are served on Wednesday during the school year starting September 20, 2017. Subway, Malek’s Pasta, Papa Johns Pizza, and Chick-fil-A are delivered on a rotating basis. You have the flexibility to choose any or all meals, for each student, a semester at a time (NO weekly ordering). The first semester of meals must be pre-ordered online.
Items that are ordered for Fun Lunches may contain milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts (for example, walnuts, pecans, almonds, and cashews), fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat. While we take steps to minimize the risk of cross contamination or food-sharing, we cannot guarantee that any of our snacks are safe to consume for students with food allergies. ICS cannot assume any liability for adverse reactions to food consumed, or items one may come in contact with while eating at any Fun Lunch event. Please feel free to contact email@example.com if you have concerns about Fun Lunches and your child’s allergies.
Fun Lunch Shoppers needed
We need shoppers (3) to purchase drinks and snacks for the Fun Lunch Program. This is a once a month commitment and a great opportunity to earn Parent Service Hours. Fun Lunch shoppers must have a Costco card and be able to purchase all items requested. ICS will reimburse you for the specific items listed on your Costco receipt within 7-10 days. Please note we are unable to advance payment for future purchases. Please sign up via ParentSquare. If you have questions, please
please email Donna Melendez.
Smart Lunches: Healthy and Flexible Lunches Available Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
ICS partners with Smart Lunches© to offer fresh and healthy lunch options. Change this year: There will be no Smart Lunches on Wednesdays. You have the flexibility to choose how often you wish to order! Several hot or cold choices, as well as drinks and snacks are available. Click here for more details and to order.
Fall Picture Day
Splendid Portraits will be taking photographs of all ICS students and staff on Thursday, September 14. Wear your dress-up clothes (follow ICS dress code). No jeans are allowed on this day. These will be your yearbook pictures. Your student will bring home the picture order form next week. Separate order forms and checks are needed for each student, or you may pay with a credit card online before Picture Day (instructions are on the Splendid Order Form). Please turn in picture order forms and payment to your child’s homeroom teacher on or before Picture Day. A few parent volunteers are needed to help that day. Please contact Mary Sue Smith if you can help. Earn Parent Service Hours!
NOTE: There will be NO Spring photos in April 2018.
Parents in Prayer Ministry
You are invited to join other parents every Tuesday morning from 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. in Room B201 to pray for our students, teachers, and staff.
- This is a vital ministry that benefits all of us here at ICS. Our ICS Prayer Guide is sent to every family via email, approximately every 3 weeks during the school year. Please take advantage of this guide and pray for the needs that are outlined there, even if you cannot come to Parents in Prayer each week.
- We also encourage you to share your prayer requests with us. Your requests are shared with the coordinator of our Parents in Prayer Ministry and the coordinator on staff who manages our monthly Prayer Guide. You will have the option of indicating if you would like your requests to remain confidential. Contact Mary Sue Smith if you have any questions.
Private Music Lessons
Sign up for private music lessons for piano, strings, woodwinds, trumpet, voice and recorder. Lessons are available before, during and after school depending on the teacher’s availability and the grade level of the student. To register use the Web Form on ParentsWeb: 2017-2018 Private Music Lesson Pre-Registration. This will be submitted electronically and you will be contacted to confirm the lesson.
Students will have opportunities to learn basic foundations of music for good performance skills. To register, please complete the Web Form on ParentsWeb. Contact Sarah Layman if you would like more information.
Beginning Strings – Monday & Wednesday (8:00 – 8:40 a.m.): $325 Concert Orchestra – Wednesday (2:30 – 3:30 p.m.) & Friday (8:00 – 8:40 a.m.): $325
Percussion Ensemble –TBD (45 minute class): $220
Instrumental Web Forms:
- 2017-2018 Orchestra and Band Registration
- 2017-2018 Private Music Lesson Registration
Don’t Lose It – Label It! NEW: Order labels for clothing, backpacks, lunch boxes, etc.
Be sure to identify your child’s belongings by ordering some labels from Mabel’s Labels. No more searching through Lost & Found. Mabel’s Labels are waterproof and durable. Learn more here. ICS now has an account so click here to order.
Fall 2017 After School Club Information: Sign up by September 8
We are excited to offer After School Clubs again this year! Fall 2017 clubs include Chess Club, Lego Club, Martial Arts, Cheer Club and a new STEM Robotics Club beginning in mid-September! We have also added a Knitting Club and a Craft Club taught by Sra. Garcia, our Lower School Spanish teacher. Our most recent addition is a Wednesday afternoon Acapella Group taught by Dara Drum, an ICS alumna. Specific Information is available on the ICS website, as well as ParentSquare. Students of all ages love the after school fun with their friends and parents love the convenience of classes being offered right here at ICS. Registration will close for all clubs on Friday, September 8.
General Reminders: We have these rules set up for the safety of our students. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Carpool drop-off and pick-up will take place at Entrance #3.
- Enter and exit the campus with a right turn. Carpools should enter and leave heading either northbound on Backlick or eastbound on Braddock.
- Students should enter and exit the vehicle from the passenger side only.
- Parents should stay in their car during carpool (unless they are parked and walk into the building).
- Please refrain from cell phone use during carpool. We need your full attention!
- If you need to pick up your student for an appointment, please do so BEFORE 3:00 p.m. After 3:00 p.m. students will be dismissed at regular time.
- See Carpool Map here.
Morning Drop-Off Reminders: (8:00 – 8:15 a.m.)
- Students must enter through the Entrance 3 Glass Breezeway (not the Braddock Road entrance) and go directly to the gym.
- Extended Care students and siblings (and other morning activities, i.e. orchestra) will enter through Entrance 8 – directly into the gym between 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.
- Please give yourself enough margin in the morning to allow for delays. Do not drop off earlier than 8:00 a.m. (unless enrolled in Morning Care). School starts promptly at 8:20 a.m., so please plan on arriving by 8:15 a.m.
- Please remember to drive slowly, stay in your vehicle and do not pass other vehicles during carpool.
Afternoon Pick-Up Reminders:
- Every family has their own carpool number. Each family should have received numbers to be brought daily to be used to dismiss students. QR codes will be scanned daily to dismiss your student! It is very important to bring your carpool number daily!
- Those wishing to walk inside to pick up their carpool must park and enter through the Braddock Road church entrance (Entrance #1) and wait in the Narthex. Please bring your carpool number with you.
- Please follow the directions and instructions of the faculty members on duty.
- Pick up students by 3:30 p.m.
Clinic Medication Policies
The school nurse stocks the following over the counter medications in the school clinic:
- Acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol), Ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin or Advil)
- Antibiotic Ointment for cuts (e.g. Neosporin)
- Hydrocortisone Cream (for minor rash/bug bites)
- Antacids (e.g. Tums)
- Cough Drops (non-medicated)
THESE MEDICATIONS CAN ONLY BE ADMINSITERED BY A SCHOOL NURSE and ONLY IF A PARENT HAS APPROVED THE ADMINISTRATION OF EACH MEDICATION IN ADVANCE.
You may approve these medications by checking “Yes” in the appropriate area of the Emergency Care & Medical Information Form. This form can be found on ParentsWeb by choosing
Web Forms, Back to School Updates and Authorizations, and Student Medical Information near the bottom of the page. Parents are notified by the school nurse via email or phone when medicine has
been dispensed. Students may not have any medicine in their possession while at school except in the case of Emergency medication, in which case physician approval to self-carry is required. Please refer to the Parent-Student Handbook (found on the ICS website and ParentsWeb), or contact the school nurse for policies, instructions and authorization forms for other medications. Please contact Cindy Houttekier, RN or Andrea VanHorn, RN at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Preventive checks for lice
Welcome Back! We hope you had a restful summer with plenty of fun in the sun! Now that we are back in school it’s time to start checking your student’s head for lice! Wait?! What?! Are there already lice in the classrooms? Not exactly. The research shows that most lice transmission happens during long breaks from school AND kids usually have lice for a month before it is detected. For this reason, we recommend regular lice screenings at home, especially after school breaks. Early detection makes treatment easier and lowers the risk of transmission to other family and friends. Mark your calendar and check your child’s head for lice once a month. There are resources on the school website for you to view at anytime, or you can contact the school nurses at email@example.com with any questions. Check back next time for more fun lice facts!
New Speech/Language Services Offered at ICS
In response to parental interest,ICS has hired a certified Speech/Language Therapist to work with our students beginning in September 2017. Dr. Tina Eid comes to us with extensive experience in individualized and group therapy and working with children who have been exposed to more than one language. Dr. Eid will be able to evaluate your child to determine areas of need for a cost of $175.00. After an evaluation is completed she will discuss with you her recommendations for length and frequency of therapy visits. Each hourly session will cost $75 (shorter sessions reduced accordingly) and Dr. Eid will work with families to provide monthly statements for insurance reimbursement. If you have a child who you would like to be evaluated OR if your child is currently receiving speech/language services elsewhere and you would like to consider transferring his/her program to Dr. Eid please contact Joyce Wallen, Coordinator of Educational Services at ICS at (703) 941-1220.
General Mills Box Tops: Contest ends late September
Keep clipping and saving box tops! Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Fall Soccer Tryouts and Cross-Country Begins
- Soccer: Tryouts for the girls soccer teams are Thursday, August 31 and Tuesday, September 5; tryouts for boys soccer teams are Friday, September 1 and Wednesday, September 6 until 5:00 p.m.
- Cross-Country: The cross-country team starts on Thursday, August 31, and will meet in the gym at 3:15 p.m. should be picked up at 4:30 p.m. at the picnic tables next to the soccer field.
- All sports require a signed “Intent to Participate” Form and a signed Concussion Form which can be retrieved from the ICS website or in hard copy from the information rack located outside the main office. The schedule may be viewed via the calendar on ParentSquare.
- Picture Day: ALL fall sport athletes will have picture day on Friday, September, 15 from 3:30-5:00. Please ensure that your child brings his/her game uniform to school that day.
JV Girls Soccer (Fall), JV Girls Basketball (Winter), and Varsity Girls Lacrosse (spring) Coaches Needed
The commitment is a maximum 3 days a week for 2 hours (no weekends or holidays). This is a great way to get involved in the ICS family, and show our children how to honor God in all areas of life.
Contact Travis Briggs if you have questions.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Women’s Bible Studies at Immanuel Bible Church
Women of Immanuel desire to live by God’s Word. We can only do this if we know God’s Word. Immanuel offers a variety of women’s Bible study groups during the week that offer a place to study His Word together with a group of friends willing to encourage and support one another. Bible study groups will start soon and meet right here at Immanuel, as well as in homes in the community. There are both morning and evening groups with childcare available for most groups that meet at Immanuel. Whether or not you call Immanuel Bible Church your home church, we would love to have you join us. To find out more about the many Bible study choices available this fall and to register, click here. Come be a part of Women’s Bible Study group this Fall.
MUMS (formerly MOPS): Meeting Sept. 11
Are you a mom who is pregnant or has a child in kindergarten or younger? If you answered yes, then MUMS, Moms Uplifting Moms, (formerly known as MOPS) is for you! We invite you to join us for our first meeting on Monday, September 11 from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. in Room A207. We will have great food and edifying conversations. Bethany Drum will be introducing our theme for the year, “Equipped with the Good Stuff.” Come find out about our new direction and meet other MUMS. Please invite your friends – their first meeting is free! You can find out more and register on the Women’s ministry page on our website.
Immanuel Christian Bookstore
The bookstore welcomes the Immanuel Christian School families back for the 2017-2018 school year. Shop with us and enjoy the discounts throughout the year. Be sure to shop on our new and improved website www.ibcbookstore.com.
- 20% discount every day on all regular priced items
- $10 coupons issued when you use your frequent buyer phone number. These coupons may be used in addition to your ICS discount and other store specials
- Special ordering for books, cds, gifts, cards and DVDs. We order for you and you don’t pay the shipping. Use your ICS discount and the $10 coupons.
- Free gift wrapping.
- Great customer service. We are glad to help you!
Bookstore Hours: Open Tuesday & Thursday 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Wednesday 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Sunday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. & 4:30 – 7:00 p.m. Closed Monday, Friday and Saturday.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|