Summer Edition: August 10, 2017
Summer Edition: August 10, 2017
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
See you on campus in a few weeks
With the beginning of school a little over two weeks away, we hope you are enjoying the remainder of the summer. Teachers and summer staff have been busy preparing for the new school year and staff will be here soon for several days of training and planning. Please pray for our teachers and staff as they prepare for the new school year. The ICS team is praying for you, the parents and students, as we enter this new school year.
First Day of School Monday, August 28, 8:20 a.m. – 3:20 p.m. (morning option Kindergarten – 12:30 p.m. dismissal)
We will begin the school year at 8:20 a.m. on Monday, August 28, with an assembly in the Worship Center. Please do not go to the classrooms first. Parents are encouraged to attend the assembly. The first day of school will end at 3:20 p.m. Students will need to bring a lunch. We are looking forward to a great day and a great school year.
- Meet & Greet: (K – 8th grades): Thursday, August 24 from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. Bring school supplies and meet your child’s teacher. Preordered school supplies will be waiting in your child’s class. PE uniforms may be purchased for $20 for grades 4-8.
- All 5th Grade and New 6th, 7th & 8th Grade Students and Buddy/Parent Orientation: Thursday, August 24. 7:00 – 8:15 p.m. Note: Childcare for school-aged siblings available with reservations on Parent Square.
- New Parent Orientation (K-8th grade): Monday, August 28, 8:45 – 9:15 a.m. – Seminar Room
- Information Fair: Monday, August 28, 8:45 – 10:00 a.m. in the Atrium
- Back-to-School Picnic: Friday, September 8. Picnic – 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. & Movie – 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. Watch for volunteer sign up on Parent Square. Rain date is September 15.
Class Assignments emailed Mid-August
Class assignments for the school year have not been finalized. The admission process for new students continues throughout the summer and will affect the final placement lists. In order to allow the administration the opportunity to finalize class lists, they will not be ready until mid-August. Remember, ALL online Back-to-School Updates and Authorization Web Forms must be completed by August 15 in order to receive your child’s class assignment by email.
Wednesday Fun Lunch and Smart Lunches©
Wednesday Fun Lunch – Sign Up by September 9.
First Semester Dates: September 20, 2017 – January 24, 2018
Ordering will begin August 17th and the order deadline is September 9.
Fun Lunches are served on Wednesday during the school year starting September 20, 2017. Subway, Malek’s Pasta, Papa Johns Pizza, and Chick-fil-A are delivered on a rotating basis. You have the flexibility to choose any or all meals, for each student, a semester at a time (NO weekly ordering). The first semester of meals must be pre-ordered online.
Fun Lunch Servers needed
Each week, we need 8 parents to help serve fun lunches. It is a once a month commitment for 2 ½ hours on Wednesdays between 11:15 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. This is a phenomenal way to satisfy parent service hours, serve side-by-side with other ICS parents and interact with students. We’ll even treat you to lunch!
Fun Lunch Shoppers needed
We need shoppers (3) to purchase drinks and snacks for the fun lunch program. This is a once a month commitment and a great opportunity to earn parent service hours. Fun Lunch shoppers must have a Costco card and be able to purchase all items requested. ICS will reimburse you for the specific items listed on your Costco receipt within 7-10 days. Please note we are unable to advance payment for future purchases.
For interest in any of the Fun Lunch volunteer openings, please email Donna Melendez or contact her at 719-510-1709.
Smart Lunches: Healthy and Flexible Lunches Available Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
ICS partners with Smart Lunches© to offer fresh and healthy lunch options, delivered for your convenience beginning August 28, 2017. Change this year: There will be no Smart Lunches on Wednesdays. You have the flexibility to choose how often you wish to order! Several hot or cold choices, as well as drinks and snacks are available.
Fall ordering now open! Click here for more details and to order.
Information for New Families
Welcome to ICS! In order to be ready to begin the school year, please complete the following tasks:
- Submit all 2017-2018 report cards and testing results to mailto:email@example.com.
- Pick up required summer reading books from the office for students in grades 1-8. See Summer Reading Program. Books not provided by ICS should be obtained elsewhere or borrowed at a local library.
- Pick up a required Spanish study packet for new rising 6th, 7th, and 8th graders in the office.
- Set up your ParentsWeb account and password now so that you can complete the web forms online prior to the beginning of school. Our District Code is ics-va. ParentsWeb is the parent portal to access the ICS database. Here you will be able to access directories, forms, update information, etc.
- Watch your email for an invitation to set up an account and download the Parent Square app so you can easily view messages from the school and your teacher on your phone. This is where you sign up to volunteer in the future. See details here. Have questions? Contact Diane Carnahan.
Required Forms for ALL FAMILIES: Complete on ParentsWeb
Please complete the following web forms located on ParentsWeb (District Code is ics-va). Don’t forget to click “save” at the end of each form. Complete all forms by noon on August 15 to receive class placement.
- Verify Parent Information
- Enter/Update Emergency Contacts
- Verify Student Information
- Student Medical information
- Student Email address (for students in grade 5-8)
- T-shirt Size Needed
- Parent Agreement (must update annually)
- Responsible Use Policy (must update annually)
- Field Trip Authorization (must update annually)
- Volunteer Driver Application (must update annually). Signature required if you do NOT plan to drive OR complete and signed if you plan to drive for a field trip during the year. For non-parents, hard copies are available in the school office or on our website>Parents>Resource Documents.
- Extended Care Web forms for all new AND returning families
The following documents are on our school website: Parent > Documents & Forms
- 2017-2018 School Calendar.
- Supply Lists:
- School Uniform List (Grades 1-8)
- Summer Reading List (Grades 1-8)
- 2017-2018 Zip Code List (ParentsWeb only)
School Uniforms: Order from Lands’ End AND Tommy Hilfiger
Lands’ End AND Tommy Hilfiger are now both our official school uniform providers. Please check the School Uniform List before purchasing new items for the 2017-18 school year. You may purchase from either vendor. Be sure to sign up to get promotions such as free logos, free shipping and discounts. Note: We have added navy and hunter/evergreen color options for the Elementary polo shirts for both boys and girls.
Lands’ End #900143637 Order Lands’ End
Tommy Hilfiger IMMA01 Click here for Tommy Hilfiger
NEW: Order labels for clothing, backpacks, lunch boxes, etc. Click here to order.
Don’t Lose It – Label It! NEW: Order labels for clothing, backpacks, lunch boxes, etc.
Be sure to identify your child’s belongings by ordering some labels from Mabel’s Labels. No more searching through Lost & Found. Mabel’s Labels are waterproof and durable. Learn more here. ICS now has an account so click here to order.
Extended Care has room!
We have a few spots left for both Morning Care and After Care in this new school year. Morning Care is available at 7:00 a.m. Monday through Friday. After Care is available Mondays through Fridays from 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. The contract is available on ParentsWeb. If interested, please submit the contract and once confirmed, the payment will be added to your FACTS account.
Extended Care available for Teacher Workdays and Parent-Teacher Conference days!
The Extended Care Program offers care for students on Teacher Workdays and Parent-Teacher Conference days from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Registration is on a first-come, first serve basis because space is limited. The contract is available on ParentsWeb.
Fall 2017 After School Club Information
We are excited to offer After School Clubs again this year! Fall 2017 clubs will include Chess Club, Lego Club, Martial Arts, Cheer Club and a new STEM Robotics Club beginning in mid-September! We also hope to offer an Art Club, Soccer Club and a Craft Club. Specific Information will be available on the Immanuel website, as well as Parent Square as soon as all details are confirmed. Students love the after school fun with their friends and parents love the convenience of classes being offered right here at ICS. All of the clubs will have fliers available at the ICS Info Fair on the first day of school. Come check them out!
Private Music Lessons
Sign up for private music lessons for piano, strings (violin, viola and cello), woodwinds (flute, clarinet and saxophone), trumpet, voice and recorder. Lessons are available before, during and after school depending on the teacher’s availability and the grade level of the student. To register use the web form on ParentsWeb. This will be submitted electronically and you will be contacted to confirm the lesson once school starts.
Students will have opportunities to learn basic foundations of music for good performance skills. To register, please complete the Web Form on ParentsWeb. Contact Sarah Layman if you would like more information.
Beginning Strings – Monday & Wednesday (8:00 – 8:40 a.m.): $325
Concert Orchestra – Wednesday (2:30 – 3:30 p.m.) & Friday (8:00 – 8:40 a.m.): $325
Percussion Ensemble –TBD (45 minute class): $220
Immunizations – Rising 6th Graders and New Families
- Rising 6th Graders: Virginia immunization requirements state that all rising 6th graders are required to submit documentation that a tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) booster administered within the last 5 years. This documentation is required for your child to start the 2017-18 school year, and must be turned into the school office.
- New Families: Please remember to turn in your child’s physical and immunization record to the office prior to the 1st day of school.
Any questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clinic Medication Policies
The school nurse stocks the following over the counter medications in the school clinic:
- Acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) Ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin or Advil)
- Antibiotic Ointment for cuts (e.g. Neosporin)
- Hydrocortisone Cream (for minor rash/bug bites)
- Antacids (e.g. Tums)
- Cough Drops (non-medicated)
THESE MEDICATIONS CAN ONLY BE ADMINISTERED BY A SCHOOL NURSE and ONLY IF A PARENT HAS APPROVED THE ADMINISTRATION OF EACH MEDICATION IN ADVANCE.
You may approve these medications by checking “Yes” in the appropriate area of the Emergency Care & Medical Information Form. This form can be found on ParentsWeb by choosing
Web Forms, Back to School Updates and Authorizations, and Student Medical Information near the bottom of the page. Parents are notified by the school nurse via email or phone when medicine has
been dispensed. Students may not have any medicine in their possession while at school except in the case of Emergency medication, in which case physician approval to self-carry is required. Please refer to the Parent-Student Handbook (found on the ICS website and ParentsWeb), or contact the school nurse for policies, instructions and authorization forms for other medications. Please contact Cindy Houttekier, RN or Andrea VanHorn, RN at email@example.com if you have questions.
Back-to-School Picnic 2017: Mark Your Calendar for Friday, September 8
ICS’s 22nd Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Friday, September 8, from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie). Mark your calendar and plan on attending this year’s picnic. RSVP and sign up to volunteer on Parents Square. A special thank you to the Nellis Group for sponsoring the picnic and movie. Note: Rain date is September 15.
Fall Uniform Giveaway
Parents, if you missed our Spring Used Uniform Giveaway, please save your used Lands’ End uniforms for the Giveaway at the Back-to-School Picnic, which is Friday, September 8. You will be able to bring them in a few days before the picnic. More information will be coming about this.
Bike Donations for Nicaragua: Bring bikes to school picnic on September 8
Bike donations for Nicabikes will be collected again this year at our ICS Back-to-School Picnic, Friday, September 8. Please save those bikes, any size or condition and bring them to the picnic, to help the needy people of Nicaragua. For more information on Nicabikes, please click on the following links:
General Reminders: We have these rules set up for the safety of our students. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Carpool drop-off and pick-up will take place at Entrance #3.
- Enter and exit the campus with a right turn. Carpools should enter and leave heading either northbound on Backlick or eastbound on Braddock.
- Students should enter and exit the vehicle from the passenger side only.
- Please refrain from cell phone use during carpool. We need your full attention!
- If you need to pick up your student for an appointment, please do so BEFORE 3:00 p.m. After 3:00 p.m. students will be dismissed at regular time.
- See Carpool Map here.
Morning Drop-Off Reminders: (8:00 – 8:20 a.m.)
- Students must enter through the Entrance 3 Glass Breezeway (not the Braddock Road entrance) and go directly to the gym.
- Extended Care students and siblings (and other morning activities, i.e. orchestra) will enter through Entrance 8 – directly into the gym between 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.
- Please give yourself enough margin in the morning to allow for delays. You may drop off no earlier than 8:00 a.m. (unless enrolled in Morning Care). School starts promptly at 8:20 a.m., so please plan on arriving by 8:15 a.m.
- Please remember to drive slowly and do not pass other vehicles during carpool.
Afternoon Pick-Up Reminders:
- Every family will have their own carpool number. Each family will get numbers to be brought daily to be used to dismiss students. We are in the process of improving our dismissal system and QR codes will be scanned daily to dismiss your student! It is very important to bring your carpool number form daily! If you need more than 2 copies contact Diane Carnahan.
- The carpool numbers will be issued the first day of school. Students will be dismissed by name the first day of school.
- Those wishing to walk inside to pick up their carpool must park and enter through the Braddock Road church entrance (Entrance #1) and wait in the Narthex. Please bring your carpool number with you.
- Please follow the directions and instructions of the faculty members on duty.
- Pick up students by 3:30 p.m.
Join a Parent Service Team for 2017-2018
Interested in getting more involved in your child’s classroom next year? Consider joining a Parent Service Team. It’s a great way to get to know the students, teachers and families. We are looking for moms and dads who would like to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom. This is a wonderful opportunity to serve and use your gifts and abilities at ICS. Please email Jen Baxter, Parent Service Team Coordinator and let her know if you are interested in serving on a Parent Service Team or if you would like more information. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
Kindergarten Playdate: Wednesday, August 16
Please plan to join us for here on the ICS playground Wednesday, August 16th from noon to 1:00 p.m. You can meet other families as well as some of our faculty. We hope to be outside on the playground but if it rains, we will move into the gym.
Summer Office Hours
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
2017-2018 School Calendar
- Click here for an overview of the 2017-2018 calendar.
- The detailed calendar has now been moved from the website to Parent Square. See events or calendar on your phone app.
Directory in ParentsWeb Unavailable for the Summer
The online directory in ParentsWeb will not be available during the summer. However there is a copy of the directory with all phone numbers and email addresses on ParentsWeb under Resource Documents. Please contact the school office for assistance if you are unable to find what you need.
Job Openings for 2017-2018
ICS is now accepting applications for 1st Grade Teaching Assistant. Visit www.icsva.org/employment for more details and to apply.
New Speech/Language Services Offered at ICS – September 2017
In response to parental interest ICS has hired a certified Speech/Language Therapist to work with our students beginning in September 2017. Dr. Tina Eid comes to us with extensive experience in individualized and group therapy and working with children who have been exposed to more than one language. Dr. Eid will be able to evaluate your child to determine areas of need for a cost of $175.00. After an evaluation is completed she will discuss with you her recommendations for length and frequency of therapy visits. Each hourly session will cost $75 (shorter sessions reduced accordingly) and Dr. Eid will work with families to provide monthly statements for insurance reimbursement. If you have a child who you would like to be evaluated OR if your child is currently receiving speech/language services elsewhere and you would like to consider transferring his/her program to Dr. Eid please contact Joyce Wallen, Coordinator of Educational Services at ICS at (703) 941-1220.
Note: Dr. Eid will also be at the ICS Info Fair on the first day of school.
School’s Out, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those boxtops over the summer, and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education! This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these collection sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning cash for our school next year!
- Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
JV Girls Soccer (Fall) and JV Girls Basketball (Winter) Coaches Needed
The commitment is a maximum 3 days a week for 2 hours (no weekends or holidays). This is a great way to get involved in the ICS family, and show our children how to honor God in all areas of life.
Contact Travis Briggs if you have questions.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Women’s Ministry – Immanuel Bible Church: Sweet Sundae, August 20 at 6:30 p.m. in the Atrium.
A new ministry year is just around the corner. Join us for sundaes, worship, learn about Bible studies for the Fall and enjoy Diana Warden speaking on prayer. Register online.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|