Summer Edition: July 13, 2017
Summer Edition: July 13, 2017
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
Summer Office Hours
Tuesday – Thursday (closed Mondays and Fridays), 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. through August 11.
Spread the Word About ICS
Continue to spread the word about ICS as you see people over the summer, at the pool, camp, etc. If you have a friend who may be interested in enrolling their children at ICS, please encourage them to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. There are spots still available for the 2017-2018 school year! Apply here. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives!
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing her directly.
- Kate Alvarado: Grades 5-8: Science & Math, K8alvarado@gmail.com (970)227-3964
- Sarah Calhoun: Grades K-8, Math/Reading/Language Arts, email@example.com
- Danielle Gleason: Grades K-3, Math, Reading, and Language Arts, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lindsey Hardenbergh: Grades 6-12, English and Spanish, Lahardenberg@fcps.edu or 571.265.9203
Jennifer Lubenec: Middle School Math and Writing and ESL (any grade), email@example.com (703)261-3717 or (703)934-8550
Calla Nyboer: 3-6th Math, Language Arts, Social Studies, firstname.lastname@example.org
Information for New Families
Welcome to ICS! In order to be ready to begin the school year, please complete the following tasks:
- Submit all 2016-2017 report cards and testing results to email@example.com.
- Pick up required summer reading books from the office for students in grades 1-8. See Summer Reading Program. Books not provided by ICS should be obtained elsewhere or borrowed at a local library.
- Pick up a required Spanish study packet (for students in 7th & 8th grades) in the office.
- Set up your ParentsWeb account and password now so that you can complete the webforms online prior to the beginning of school. Our District Code is ics-va. ParentsWeb is the parent portal to access the Important ICS database. Here you will be able to access directories, forms, update information, etc.
- Watch your email for an invitation to set up an account and download the Parent Square app so you can easily view messages from the school and your teacher on your phone. This is where you sign up to volunteer in the future. See details here. Have questions? Contact Diane Carnahan.
Required Forms to be completed on ParentsWeb for ALL FAMILIES
Please complete the following webforms located on ParentsWeb (District Code is ics-va). Don’t forget to click “save” at the end of each form. Complete all forms by August 15.
- Verify Parent Information
- Enter/Update Emergency Contacts
- Verify Student Information
- Student Medical information
- Student Email address (for students in grade 5-8)
- T-shirt Size Needed
- Parent Agreement (must update annually)
- Responsible Use Policy (must update annually)
- Field Trip Authorization (must update annually)
- Volunteer Driver Application (must updated annually). Signature required if you do NOT plan to drive OR complete and signed if you plan to drive for a field trip during the year. For non-parents, hard copies are available in the school office or on our website>Parents>Resource Documents.
- Extended Care Web forms for all new AND returning families
Back to School Resources
The following documents are on our school website: Parent > Documents & Forms.
- 2017-2018 School Calendar.
- Supply Lists:
Private Music Lessons
Sign up for private music lessons for piano, strings, woodwinds, voice and recorder. Lessons are available before, during and after school depending on the teacher’s availability and the grade level of the student. To register use the Web form: 2017-2018 Private Music Lesson Pre-Registration.) This will be submitted electronically and you will be contacted to confirm the lesson once school starts.
Job Openings for 2017-2018
ICS is now accepting applications for Lower School Teaching Assistant, Enrichment Teacher, Art Teacher (part-time) and Orchestra Director. Teaching positions are full-time and require an education degree and classroom experience. Visit www.icsva.org/employment for more details and to apply.
New Speech/Language Services Offered at ICS – September 2017
In response to parental interest ICS has hired a certified Speech/Language Therapist to work with our students beginning in September 2017. Dr. Tina Eid comes to us with extensive experience in individualized and group therapy and working with children who have been exposed to more than one language. Dr. Eid will be able to evaluate your child to determine areas of need for a cost of $175.00. After an evaluation is completed she will discuss with you her recommendations for length and frequency of therapy visits. Each hourly session will cost $75 (shorter sessions reduced accordingly) and Dr. Eid will work with families to provide monthly statements for insurance reimbursement. If you have a child who you would like to be evaluated OR if your child is currently receiving speech/language services elsewhere and you would like to consider transferring his/her program to Dr. Eid please contact Joyce Wallen, Coordinator of Educational Services at ICS at (703) 941-1220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Student Buddy Program
Remember what it was like to be the new kid on the block? Having a friend before school starts can make all the difference! Would you like to help be a buddy to a new student and his or her family this summer? This is a great opportunity for all rising 2nd through 8th graders (rising kindergarten and 1st graders have set grade-wide play dates). Please let me know the name and grade of each student who would like to participate. This is both a student and parent commitment to help new families get acclimated to ICS. During the first month of school, new students and their buddies will also enjoy a fun pizza lunch at school! Click here to view the guidelines and student expectations. Please contact Lauren Gessner to volunteer or ask questions.
Grade Level Gatherings over the Summer
Several parents have expressed interest in providing opportunities for rising 2nd through 8th grade students to get together over the summer. This is a great way to have time with school friends who don’t live “in the neighborhood,” to meet new students and to stay in touch over the summer. However, Kindergarten and 1st grade are the only grades who will hold activities on our playground during the summer. Unfortunately, we are unable to host other grade level activities on our playground or in our gym due to facility restrictions during the summer. For 2nd through 8th grades, off-campus activities are not organized by ICS, PTF or the Parent Service Team, so anyone can plan them! It could be a bowling afternoon, kickball at a local park, dinner at Chick-fil-A, time at the pool, etc. For 2nd through 8th grade students, these are unofficial, parent-initiated events which parents must chaperone off-campus. Our Executive Assistant, Diane Carnahan will gladly provide email addresses and other contact information for any grade. Please contact her if you need that information.
Kindergarten and 1st Grade Playdates
The dates are finally set! Please plan to join us for one of the grade level playdates here on the ICS playground. You can meet other families as well as some of our faculty. We hope to be outside on the playground but if it rains, we will move into the gym.
- Kindergarten Playdates
o Wednesday, August 2nd, 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
o Wednesday, August 16th, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- 1stGrade Playdates
o Monday, July 31st, 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
o Wednesday, August 9th, 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team this fall. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Student applicants are welcome but must be at least 16 years of age. Please email Allison Masson, our Extended Care Director, for more information.
Directory in ParentsWeb Unavailable for the Summer
The online directory in ParentsWeb will not be available during the summer. However there is a copy of the directory with all phone numbers and email addresses on ParentsWeb under Resource Documents. Please contact the school office for assistance if you are unable to find what you need.
Immunizations – Rising 6th Graders and New Families
- Rising 6th Graders: Virginia immunization requirements state that all rising 6th graders are required to submit documentation that a tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) booster administered within the last 5 years. This documentation is required for your child to start the 2017-18 school year, and must be turned into the school office by August 1, 2017.
- New Families: Please remember to turn in your child’s physical and immunization record to the office prior to August 1.
Any questions? Please email email@example.com.
Class Assignments 2017-2018 in Mid-August
Class assignments for the school year have not been finalized. The admission process for new students continues throughout the summer and will affect the final placement lists. In order to allow the administration the opportunity to finalize class lists, they will not be ready until mid-August. Remember, all online Web Forms must be completed prior to receiving your child’s class assignment.
School Uniforms: Order from Lands’ End AND Tommy Hilfiger
Lands’ End AND Tommy Hilfiger are now both our official school uniform providers. Please check the School Uniform List before purchasing new items for the 2017-18 school year. You may purchase from either vendor. Be sure to sign up to get promotions such as free logos, free shipping and discounts. Note: We have added navy and hunter/evergreen color options for the Lower School polo shirts for both boys and girls.
See new ordering instructions here. Free Tommy Hilfiger logos will be offered from July 24-August 7.
Back to School Picnic 2017: Mark Your Calendar for Friday, September 8
ICS’s 21st Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Friday, September 8, from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie). Mark your calendar and plan on attending this year’s picnic. Note: Rain date is September 15.
Fall Uniform Giveaway
Parents, if you missed our Spring Used Uniform Giveaway, please save your used Lands’ End uniforms for the Giveaway at the Back to School Picnic, which is Friday, September 8. You will be able to bring them in a few days before the picnic. More information will be coming later this summer about this.
Bike Donations for Nicaragua Collected September 8 at School Picnic
Bike donations for Nicabikes will be collected again this year at our ICS Back to School Picnic, Friday, September 8. Please save those bikes, any size or condition and bring them to the picnic, to help the needy people of Nicaragua. For more information on Nicabikes, please click on the following links:
School’s Out, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those boxtops over the summer, and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education! This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these collection sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning cash for our school next year!
- Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Join a Parent Service Team for 2017-2018
Interested in getting more involved in your child’s classroom next year? Consider joining a Parent Service Team. It’s a great way to get to know the students, teachers and families. We are looking for moms and dads who would like to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom. This is a wonderful opportunity to serve and use your gifts and abilities at ICS. Please email Jen Baxter, Parent Service Team Coordinator, and let her know if you are interested in serving on a Parent Service Team or if you would like more information. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Follow ICS on Social Media – Share your Summer Fun
Did you know that ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn? If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. We’d love to hear about your summer adventures!
Immanuel Bible Church Hope Ministry – Donations Needed
Immanuel’s Hope Ministry is low on donations. Take some time and clean out a closet or dresser to help this ministry that helps so many in our community. Drop off donations at the white building on the far side of the ICS Athletic Fields on Wednesday from noon to 4:00 p.m. or Sunday from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. Thanks!!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|