June 8, 2017
June 8, 2017
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
God has blessed our 2016-2017 school year!
Enjoy your summer!
Schedule for last few days of school
- Friday, June 9: No School/Teacher Workday
- Monday, June 12: Last day of kindergarten
- Monday-Wednesday, June 12-14: Noon dismissal for all grades
- Tuesday, June 13: Graduation & Awards Ceremony, 7:15 p.m. (grades 3-8)
- Wednesday, June 14: Last day of school – Aloha Day/Awards Assembly (grades 1-8) 10:00 a.m.
Attendance during the Last Week of School
The last day of school for students is Wednesday, June 14 with a NOON DISMISSAL. If your child will be absent June 12-14, please email the teacher by tomorrow, June 9. Classroom materials belonging to your child should be picked up in the school office after you return.
Graduation and Awards: June 13 at 7:15 p.m.
The Graduation and Awards Program is scheduled for Tuesday, June 13, at 7:15 p.m.
- 8th grade students should report to their classrooms no later than 6:30 p.m.
- Grades 3-7 should report to their classrooms no later than 7:00 p.m. in order to proceed to the Worship Center as a class.
- Please Note: Kindergarten-2nd grade students do not participate in graduation; however, they may attend with their parents.
- Graduation dress code: Students are expected to dress up and follow dress code standards detailed in the Parent Student Handbook.
All-School Dress Down Days
All students will have dress down days on June 12, 13, and 14. The last day of school, June 14, is Aloha Day. Students are encouraged to wear colorful shorts and shirts, sunglasses, leis, or anything that reflects Hawaii. Please note: Dress down code applies (shorts must be nor shorter than 3” above the knees, no tank tops, etc.) Please see the Parent Student Handbook for information on appropriate dress down attire.
Extended Care Reminders for End of Year
Please watch your email – January through June 2017 Extended Care receipts are coming soon! Extended Care hours for the last two weeks of school are listed below:
- June 9: Teacher Workday from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. for parents who have already signed up their children for additional days.
- June 12: Last day of AM and PM Extended Care for kindergarten ONLY. K-8 has Extended Care until 6:00 p.m.
- June 13: Last day of PM Extended Care for grades 1-7 (no kindergarten Extended Care)
- June 12-14: Morning care as usual; no afternoon care on last day of school June 14.
Extended Care 2017-2018
Enrollment for Extended Care 2017-2018 is now open. If you plan on enrolling your child(ren) in Extended Care, but have not submitted the contract, please do so by June 13. We are working on budget and staffing needs which are dependent on Extended Care enrollment. The 2017-2018 contract is available as a Web Form only in ParentsWeb. Fees will be added to your FACTS payment plan.
ICS Basketball Camp is June 19-23
ICS will again host its annual ‘funtastic’ basketball camp from Monday – Friday, June 19-23. Camp will be held in the ICS Gym from 8:30 a.m.– 3:00 p.m. Basketball camp is for both boys and girls entering 4th – 9th grades. Click here for the registration form.
Faculty/Staff Updates for 2017-2018
Each year, we say farewell to faculty members. Some are retiring or taking a leave of absence or moving onto other ventures. We want to thank the following employees for their years of faithful service to students, parents, co-workers and above all, the Lord: Donna Bradley, Jerylen Daniels, Sharon Adams, Julie Pannell, Ingrid Gleason, Sarah Caley, Tammy Shondelmyer, Deshua Joyce, Amber Seat, Esther Hyun, Angela Fortier and Sarah Pinkley.
The following people are changing positions:
- Amanda Anthony will transition to teach 4th grade
- Sandy Potter will be the new Lower School (K-4) Resource Teacher
- DiAnne Boutz will transition to Enrichment Teacher
- Julie Neville will move to Receptionist
- Sandy Duncan will be the new TA for 3rd grade
In spite of all these changes, God has already provided outstanding candidates to fill most of these positions. Currently, we are busy interviewing and finalizing decisions about new candidates for these openings and look forward to welcoming another group of highly qualified, spiritually mature men and women whom the Lord will add to the ICS faculty and staff.
Job Openings for 2017-2018
ICS is now accepting applications for Lower School Teaching Assistant, Upper School Teachers, Educational Technology Coordinator, Art Teacher (part-time) and Orchestra Director. Teaching positions are full-time and require an education degree and classroom experience. Visit www.icsva.org/employment for more details and to apply.
Tommy Hilfiger Uniforms coming to ICS!
- Very soon we will adding Tommy Hilfiger School Uniforms as an option for students, in addition to Lands’ End. Families may find one brand easier on the budget, depending on sales.
- Look for a link soon on our ICS website for the particular ICS uniforms from Tommy Hilfiger, in addition to Land’s End. Most uniform items are available from both companies except for a few select items.
2017-2018 ICS School Calendar
Click here for the upcoming school year calendar.
Notes from Clinic
- Pick Up Medications: Please remember to pick up all medications you have had on file in the clinic. All medications must be picked up no later than Wednesday, June 14 or they will be discarded. New medication/allergy/asthma forms are needed each year, so please keep this in mind if you visit the doctor this summer. Forms available online.
- Forms for siblings new to ICS next year: If your current student has a sibling who will be joining ICS next year, please remember to provide a current physical and a record of all immunizations prior to August 1, 2017. If you have any questions about what is required, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Rising 6th Graders: Please remember to turn in documentation of your Tetanus booster immunization prior to August 1, 2017.
Parents in Prayer
We wish to express heartfelt thanks to the group of parents who faithfully came each week to pray for Immanuel Christian School throughout the school year. Please consider joining the prayer team for the 2017-2018 school year. This is a vitally important ministry within our school family! Parent Service Hours may be earned for this as well.
Thank You Parent Volunteers
We could not be as efficient or creative without our parent volunteers. Thank you for partnering with us and for your hard work and support throughout the school year. Special thanks to the parents who volunteered to listen to Bible verses this year. We had a great response to our request for listeners and having many volunteers helped the recitation time go smoothly. We appreciate you!
Summer Office Hours
Please note our summer office hours begin Thursday, June 15. Our hours will be 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Beginning Monday, June 26, the office will be open Tuesday – Thursday throughout the summer. We will be closed Tuesday, July 4.
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing him/her directly.
- Kate Alvarado: Grades 5-8: Science & Math, K8alvarado@gmail.com (970)227-3964
- Sarah Calhoun: Grades K-8, Math/Reading/Language Arts, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Danielle Gleason: Grades K-3, Math, Reading, and Language Arts, email@example.com
- Lindsey Hardenbergh: Grades 6-12, English and Spanish, Lahardenberg@fcps.edu or 571.265.9203
- Jennifer Lubenec: Middle School Math and Writing and ESL (any grade), firstname.lastname@example.org (703)261-3717 or (703)934-8550
- Calla Nyboer: 3-6th Math, Language Arts, Social Studies, email@example.com
Summer Reading Requirements
All students in grades 1-7 are required to participate in the Summer Reading Program. Students will be given the summer reading program guidelines with their report card and rising 3rd-8th graders will be given their required book for summer reading on the last day of school.
Class Placement for 2017-2018
Due to on-going changes during the summer admissions process, class placement will be given to parents late in August after all Web Forms are completed on ParentsWeb.
Summer Mailings & Data Changes
“In the Loop” e-newsletters will come out by email in July and August. Watch your inbox or the website! Please continue to update your contact information on ParentsWeb. The Family Directory will be available over the summer on ParentsWeb
Join a Parent Service Team for 2017-2018
Interested in getting more involved in your child’s classroom next year? Consider joining a Parent Service Team. It’s a great way to get to know the students, teachers and families. We are looking for moms and dads who would like to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom. This is a wonderful opportunity to serve and use your gifts and abilities at ICS. Please email Jen Baxter, Parent Service Team Coordinator, and let her know if you are interested in serving on a Parent Service Team or if you would like more information. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
New Student Buddy Program
Remember what it was like to be the new kid on the block? Having a friend before school starts can make all the difference! Would you like to help be a buddy to a new student and his or her family this summer? This is a great opportunity for all rising 2nd through 8th graders (rising kindergarten and 1st graders have set grade-wide play dates). Please let me know the name and grade of each student who would like to participate. This is both a student and parent commitment to help new families get acclimated to ICS. During the first month of school, new students and their buddies will also enjoy a fun pizza lunch at school! Click here to view the guidelines and student expectations. Please contact Lauren Gessner to volunteer or ask questions.
Grade Level Gatherings over the Summer
Several parents have expressed interest in providing opportunities for rising 2nd through 8th grade students to get together over the summer. This is a great way to have time with school friends who don’t live “in the neighborhood,” to meet new students and to stay in touch over the summer. However, Kindergarten and 1st grade are the only grades who will hold activities on our playground during the summer. Unfortunately, we are unable to host other grade level activities on our playground or in our gym due to facility restrictions during the summer. For 2nd through 8th grades, off-campus activities are not organized by ICS, PTF or the Parent Service Team, so anyone can plan them! It could be a bowling afternoon, kickball at a local park, dinner at Chick-fil-A, time at the pool, etc. For 2nd through 8th grade students, these are unofficial, parent-initiated events which parents must chaperone off-campus. Our Executive Assistant, Diane Carnahan will gladly provide email addresses and other contact information for any grade. Please contact her if you need that information.
Fall Uniform Giveaway
If you missed our Spring Used Uniform giveaway recently, please save your used Lands’ End uniforms for the giveaway at the Back-to-School Picnic, which is Friday, September 9. You will be able to bring them in a few days before the picnic. More information will be coming later this summer.
School’s Out, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those boxtops over the summer, and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education! This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these collection sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning cash for our school next year!
- Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Follow ICS on Social Media – Share your Summer Fun
Did you know that ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn? If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. We’d love to hear about your summer adventures!
Bike Donations for Nicaragua
Bike donations for Nicabikes will be collected again this year at our ICS Back to School Picnic, Friday, September 8. Please save those bikes, any size or condition and bring them to the picnic, to help the needy people of Nicaragua. For more information on Nicabikes, please click on the following links:
Vacation Bible School at IBC: June 26-30
Mark your calendars for June 26-30 for the week of Vacation Bible School.
- AM Program: 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (4 years old by 9/30/17 – entering 3rd grade)
- PM Program: 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (entering 4th – entering 6th grades)
Click here to register. $20 per child. Hope to see you there!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|