September 29, 2016
September 29, 2016
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
No School: Monday, October 10 – Columbus Day
There will be no school Monday, October 10. Classes resume Tuesday, October 11 at 8:20 a.m.
First “First Look Friday” Open House is October 7
We have 10 First Look Fridays scheduled this school year – help us spread the word about Immanuel Christian School by inviting friends, co-workers and neighbors to visit ICS for a tour! They will have the chance to view the facility, see teachers and students in action and to meet current staff and parents. Be looking for an envelope to be sent home with your child soon about how you can help promote ICS in our community. The first First Look Friday of the year is October 7. Click here for the full First Look Friday schedule and for more information. Questions? Contact email@example.com.
Annual Student Testing - October 3-7
Fall testing is new this year! It is replacing our annual spring testing. Students in grades K-8 will participate in annual student testing October 3-7. This allows teachers to use testing results as a diagnostic tool to guide instruction.
- Students in kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade will have about one 30-minute test section per day.
- Students in grades 3-8 will have testing each morning for about 60-90 minutes.
- There is no preparation needed except for a good breakfast and a restful sleep.
It is extremely important that students arrive on time. Please do NOT arrange appointments during the school day for this week of testing. Students with unexcused absences will be retested for a fee of at least $25 per test section. Please see the Parent-Student Handbook for absentee information.
Serve-A-Thon 2016 Kick Off
We are excited to kick off our annual “season of service” with the ICS family! Here’s what you can do to help Serve-A-Thon be successful:
- Mark your calendars! Serve-A-Thon will take place during the month of October. Click here for important dates.
- Sign up to help! Join us in community service by working with your student as he/she completes class service projects. Sign up through your ParentSquare account or email Beverly Atkinson.
- Contact friends and family and ask them to sponsor your child’s class as they serve. Search for your team (class) here and email the link. If you prefer, postcards are also available to raise support for students as they serve in the community. Additional postcards are available in the school office.
- Donate online or mail donations to the school office. Last day for donations to count towards team prizes is Monday, October 31.
- Click here for more information about Serve-A-Thon 2016.
30 Bikes Collected for Nica Bikes
GREAT JOB!!!! We collected 30 bikes at the ICS picnic. These bikes will be shipped to Nicaragua in November. For more information on Nicabikes, please click here. Contact Beverly Atkinson next week if you still have a bike to donate, any size or condition.
School Picture Retakes: Wednesday, October 26
Parents who are unhappy with their child’s individual pictures or who missed picture day in September should plan to have their child’s picture taken on Wednesday, October 26. Recommended attire is dress clothes for that day. Students not having pictures taken should be in uniform on this day. Please bring in your previous photos to turn in during retakes. If you have any questions, please contact Mary Sue Smith.
Upcoming Annual ICS Book Fair: November 1-4
Come join us in the Library for a great selection of books and educational games from Bookworm Central, Tuesday, November 1 – Friday, November 4 from 8:20 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Extended hours: Wednesday and Thursday, November 2 & 3 until 6:30 p.m.
Upper School Principal Search
ICS is conducting a search for an Upper School Principal to begin as early as January 2017. Qualifications include a master’s degree in education and a minimum of five years teaching experience. Click to view job description and additional information. Forward resumes to Assistant Head of School, Dale Pinkley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upper School Spanish Sub Needed January-March
A long-term Spanish substitute for Grades 5-8 is needed mid-January through the end of March. If interested, please send your résumé to Erin Smith, Upper School Principal, at email@example.com and complete the teacher application found here.
High School Forum & Fair: October 4
Please join us on October 4 at 7:00 p.m. in the Atrium for a parent panel discussion and the opportunity to meet with representatives from several local high schools including Trinity, Flint Hill, Dominion, Bishop O’Connell, Thomas Jefferson and more! Come to learn about the variety of high school options, to hear more about factors to consider when choosing a high school and what to expect with the high school transition. All parents welcome! Please RSVP here by Tuesday, September 27th. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thomas Jefferson High School Applications Due October 14
Please visit the TJ Admissions website for more information and to apply online here. Lynn Simon, Upper School Administrative Assistant, is our TJ Liaison counselor and would be glad to answer any questions.
Come Join Our team – Fiesta : A Celebration and Auction!
The Advancement Team is gearing up to plan Fiesta: A Celebration and Auction on Friday evening, May 5. Can you help? We need all kinds of talented event volunteers to join our growing team. Please come for coffee in the library Tuesday morning, October 25 at 8:30 a.m. to hear more or contact Allison Masson.
7th & 8th Grade Science Trip to the Grand Canyon
If you are interested in sending your 7th or 8th grader on the science trip of a lifetime, please click here to learn more about our trip. ICS will be going during Spring Break, April 10-14. Some highlights of the trip will be visiting the Valley of Fire State Park, Hiking the Narrows, Zion National Park, Horseshoe Bend, float trip down the Colorado River, Grand Canyon and more! Mr. Pinkley will be leading the trip along with our Upper School Science teacher Mrs. Alvarado. Our plan is to take this trip every other year. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Pinkley.
Parent Square – New Communication Tool
- Be sure to set up your account. Request an invitation here.
- NEW Android App available-Update your app in the Playstore.
- Set your preferences – Options for receiving notifications are Email and text, Email only, Text only. These can be received Instantly, by Digest (once per day at 6:00 p.m.) or Never. If a parent selects “never” for a preference they will still get the smart alerts but will not receive notifications when a message or post is sent. These messages will still show up in your ParentSquare account and can be viewed there on the computer or the app.
- To adjust preferences – On your computer, go to your name at the top right, select the drop down list and select “My Account”. Look at Notification settings and click “change this”. Adjust your preferences.
- Search – If you have a question go to the “?” at the top right. Use the search feature.
- If you have not received the invitation to set up an account or if you need another invitation, contact Diane Carnahan.
- If two parents are using the same email address, they must share an account, but can both access the same account from their computers or phone apps.
- Don’t forget to enter the code (96167) for the time-sensitive alerts into your phone’s contact list.
- For questions concerning Parent Square, contact Diane Carnahan.
What is the difference between Renweb, ParentsWeb, ParentSquare?
RenWeb is our Student Information System. It incorporates the application process and classroom management as well as family contact information. It is used for attendance, homework, grading, report cards and other administrative tasks.
ParentsWeb is the parent portal to RenWeb. Parents can access student homework and grades in the upper school. Webforms, contact information as well as documents can be found here. Students can also access information through the Student Login of ParentsWeb.
ParentSquare is a communication package not related to RenWeb, though it was populated using family contact information previously provided. It incorporates volunteer sign ups, parent conferences and serves as a vehicle for school-wide and class communications from the administration and teachers. Time-sensitive alerts will now be sent through this system.
Free Money Programs: Help ICS - It's time to Designate ICS for Grocery Stores
Every year you can designate ICS with your grocery store’s Bonus Club/Discount Card program. Giant and Safeway stores (and others) will donate part of your store purchase if you designate ICS as your fundraising choice by adding our school code to your shopping card. Information is listed below for easy access to store websites:
- Giant Bonus Card: Sign up at any Giant store or by going to www.giantfood.com/aplus.
Our school code is 02077. Credit for your purchases made between October and April goes directly to ICS. Please renew now to avoid a lapse in participation.
- Harris Teeter: As you check out, ask the cashier to link your VIC card to our school or register online at www.harristeeter.com. Our school ID number is 5117.
- Office Depot: Use the ICS school code 70104941 at check out to donate.
Combined Federal Campaign
In addition to the programs above, federal employees can contribute to ICS through payroll deductions using ID #74453.
Lunch and Recess Help Needed
Parent volunteers are needed to help in the lunch room and at recess from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily (K-4: 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and grades 5-8: 12:45 – 1:30 p.m.). While you help, you can eat lunch with your child, see them interact at recess and get to know fellow parents and your child’s classmates. We are in need of regular volunteers to help one day a week or every other week. Your help gives our teachers a little break in the middle of their day to enjoy their lunch. To help with lunch, contact Lola Hollenbeck, Lunchroom Coordinator and to help with recess contact Julie Neville.
General Mills Box Tops
Keep clipping and saving box tops! Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Immanuel Christian Bookstore
The bookstore welcomes the Immanuel Christian School families back for the 2016-2017 school year. Shop with us and enjoy the discounts throughout the year.
- 20% discount everyday on all regular priced items
- $10 coupons issued when you use your frequent buyer phone number. These coupons may be used in addition to your ICS discount and other store specials
- Special ordering for books, cds, gifts, cards and DVDs. We order for you and you don’t pay the shipping. Use your ICS discount and the $10 coupons.
- Free gift wrapping.
- Great customer service. We are glad to help you!
Bookstore Hours: Open Tuesday & Thursday 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Wednesday 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Sunday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. & 4:30 – 7:00 p.m. Closed Monday, Friday and Saturday.
MOPS Meeting – October 3
Hello, Mothers of Preschoolers! The next MOPS meeting is Monday, October 3, 7:00 -9:00 p.m. in A207. We will have a Mexican food themed dinner and desserts! Our speaker is Lisa Fisher on the topic of Friendship within the theme of “We Are the Starry Eyed”. Bring your mom friends, their first meeting is free!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|