September 15, 2016
September 15, 2016
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
Back-to-School Nights: Mark your calendars!
Due to space limitations, this event is for parents only.
Upper School (Grades 5-8): Thursday, September 15, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Lower School (Grades K-4): Thursday, September 22, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Back-to-School Night is an opportunity to:
- Learn about expectations for the year from your child’s teacher
- Meet class Parent Service Team members and learn about volunteer opportunities
- Meet the parents of your child’s classmates
See You At The Pole - September 28
All Upper School students are invited to participate in SEE YOU AT THE POLE on Wednesday, September 28 at 7:45 a.m. This is a global event where students around the world gather at their school’s flagpole to pray. We will come together at the ICS flagpole to pray for our school, community and nation. Hope to SEE YOU AT THE POLE!
Annual Student Testing - October 3-7
Fall testing is new this year! It is replacing our annual spring testing. Students in grades K-8 will participate in annual student testing October 3-7. This allows teachers to use testing results as a diagnostic tool to guide instruction.
- Students in kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade will have about one 30-minute test section per day.
- Students in grades 3-8 will have testing each morning for about 60-90 minutes.
- There is no preparation needed except for a good breakfast and a restful sleep.
It is extremely important that students arrive on time. Please do NOT arrange appointments during the school day for this week of testing. Students with unexcused absences will be retested for a fee of at least $25 per test section. Please see the Parent-Student Handbook for absentee information.
First Look Friday Open Houses are back – Invite your friends and neighbors!
We have 10 First Look Fridays scheduled this school year – help us spread the word about Immanuel Christian School by inviting friends, co-workers and neighbors to visit ICS for a tour! They will have the chance to view the facility, see teachers and students in action and to meet current staff and parents. Be looking for an envelope to be sent home with your child soon about how you can help promote ICS in our community. The first First Look Friday of the year is October 7. Click here for the full First Look Friday schedule and for more information. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fun Lunch Begins Next Week, September 21
The first Fun Lunch begins Wednesday, September 21. Only those who have pre-ordered will receive a Fun Lunch. Contact Donna Melendez, Fun Lunch Coordinator, or call 719-510-1709, if you have questions.
Smart Lunch: 5-Day Healthy and Flexible Lunch Option
ICS partners with Smart Lunches© to offer fresh and healthy lunch options, delivered daily for your convenience. You have the flexibility to choose how often you wish to order! Several hot or cold choices, as well as drinks and snacks are available. Fall ordering now open! Click here for more details and to order.
Congratulations and Farewell, Ms. Smith, Upper School Principal
ICS is excited to announce the upcoming December wedding of our Upper School Principal, Ms. Erin Smith. Her fiancé began his MBA program in Charlottesville in August and they desire their long-distance situation to be as short-lived as possible. The school board and administration have agreed to list the Upper School Principal position as available as early as January 2017.
Ms. Smith writes, “It is a bittersweet time as I love this place and the people so dearly, but am thrilled about becoming David’s wife and starting life with him! Thank you for your prayers, encouragement and support. I am reminded that God is sovereign in all things; He already knows who He has for the next Upper School Principal. He is always good!”
Upper School Principal Search
ICS is conducting a search for an Upper School Principal to begin as early as January 2017. Qualifications include a master’s degree in education and a minimum of five years teaching experience. Click to view job description and additional information. Forward resumes to Assistant Head of School, Dale Pinkley at email@example.com.
Serve-A-Thon 2016 Kick Off
We are excited to kick off our annual “season of service” with the ICS family! Serve-A-Thon information will be given out to parents at the Upper School Back-to-School night TONIGHT, September 15 and Lower School parents will receive their packet at Back-to-School night next Thursday, September 22. Here’s what you can do to help Serve-A-Thon be successful:
- Mark your calendars! Serve-A-Thon will take place during the month of October. Click here for important dates.
- Sign up to help! Join us in community service by working with your student as they complete their class service project. Sign up through ParentSquare or email Beverly Atkinson.
- Contact friends and family and ask them to sponsor your child’s class as they serve. Search for your team (class) here and email the link. If you prefer, postcards are also available to raise support for students as they serve in the community. Additional postcards are available in the school office.
- Donate online or mail donations to the school office. Last day for donations to count towards team prizes is Monday, October 31.
- Click here for more information about Serve-A-Thon 2016.
The ICS carpool runs for 20 minutes at the end of each school day. (Mondays 1:30 – 1:50 p.m., Tuesdays – Fridays, 3:15 – 3:35 p.m.) It is very important that all students are picked up by the end of this time period. We appreciate the promptness that many of you have shown in picking up your students on time. Also, please remember to have your carpool number visible on your front passenger visor until your student(s) are in your car so we can call your carpool number in a timely manner. For the safety of our student body, please do not use cell phones during carpool.
Parent Square – New Communication Tool
- Be sure to set up your account. Request an invitation here.
- NEW Android App available-Update your app in the Playstore.
- Set your preferences – Options for receiving notifications are Email and text, Email only, Text only. These can be received Instantly, by Digest (once per day at 6:00pm) or Never. If a parent selects “never” for a preference they will still get the smart alerts but will not receive notifications when a message or post is sent. These messages will still show up in ParentSquare and can be viewed there on the computer or the app.
- To adjust preferences – On your computer, go to your name at the top right, select the drop down list and select “My Account”. Look at Notification settings and click “change this”. Adjust your preferences.
- Search -If you have a question go to the “?” at the top right. Use the search feature.
- If you have not received the invitation to set up an account or if you need another invitation, contact Diane Carnahan.
- If two parents are using the same email address, they must share an account, but can both access the same account from their computers or phone apps.
- Don’t forget to enter the code (96167) for the time-sensitive alerts into your phone’s contact list.
- For questions concerning Parent Square, contact Diane Carnahan.
What is the difference between Renweb, ParentsWeb, ParentSquare?
RenWeb is our Student Information System. It incorporates the application process and classroom management as well as family contact information. It is used for attendance, homework, grading, report cards and other administrative tasks.
ParentsWeb is the parent portal to RenWeb. Parents can access student homework and grades in the upper school. Webforms, contact information as well as documents can be found here. Students can also access information through the Student Login of ParentsWeb.
ParentSquare is a communication package not related to RenWeb, though it was populated using family contact information previously provided. It incorporates volunteer sign ups, parent conferences and serves as a vehicle for school-wide and class communications from the administration and teachers. Time-sensitive alerts will now be sent through this system.
Upper School Spanish Sub Needed January-March
A long-term Spanish substitute for Grades 5-8 is needed mid-January through the end of March. If interested, please send your résumé to Erin Smith, Upper School Principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org and complete the teacher application found here.
7th & 8th Grade Science Trip to the Grand Canyon
If you are interested in sending your 7th or 8th grader on the science trip of a lifetime, please click here to learn more about our trip. ICS will be going during Spring Break, April 10-14. Some highlights of the trip will be visiting the Valley of Fire State Park, Hiking the Narrows, Zion National Park, Horseshoe Bend, float trip down the Colorado River, Grand Canyon and more! Mr. Pinkley will be leading the trip along with our Upper School Science teacher Mrs. Alvarado. Our plan is to take this trip every other year. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Pinkley.
Student Accident Insurance
ICS carries Student Accident Insurance underwritten by Gerber Life Insurance Company. The program provides secondary coverage for school-time accidents. Additional information is available here.
Free Money Programs: Help ICS - It's time to Designate ICS for Grocery Stores
Every year you can designate ICS with your grocery store’s Bonus Club/Discount Card program. Giant and Safeway stores (and others) will donate part of your store purchase if you designate ICS as your fundraising choice by adding our school code to your shopping card. Information is listed below for easy access to store websites:
Giant Bonus Card: Sign up at any Giant store or by going to www.giantfood.com/aplus. Our school code is 02077. Credit for your purchases made between October and April goes directly to ICS. Please renew now to avoid a lapse in participation.
Harris Teeter: As you check out, ask the cashier to link your VIC card to our school or register online at www.harristeeter.com. Our school ID number is 5117.
Office Depot: Use the ICS school code 70104941 at check out to donate.
Combined Federal Campaign
In addition to the programs above, federal employees can contribute to ICS through payroll deductions using ID #74453.
Parents in Prayer Ministry
You are invited to join other parents every Tuesday morning from 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. in Room B201 to pray for our students, teachers, and staff.
- This is a vital ministry that benefits all of us here at ICS. Our ICS Prayer Guide is sent to every family via email, approximately every 3 weeks during the school year. Please take advantage of this guide and pray for the needs that are outlined there, even if you cannot come to Parents in Prayer each week.
- We also encourage you to share your prayer requests with us. Your requests are shared with the coordinator of our Parents in Prayer Ministry and the coordinator on staff who manages our monthly Prayer Guide. You will have the option of indicating if you would like your requests to remain confidential. Click here to send a request. Contact Mary Sue Smith if you have any questions.
High School Forum & Fair: October 4
Please join us on Tuesday, October 4 at 7:00 p.m. in the Atrium for a parent panel discussion and the opportunity to meet with representatives from several local high schools including Trinity, Flint Hill, Dominion, Bishop O’Connell, Thomas Jefferson and more! Come learn about the variety of high school options, to hear more about factors to consider when choosing a high school and what to expect with the high school transition. All parents welcome! Please RSVP here by Tuesday, September 27th. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Lunch and Recess Help Needed
Parent volunteers are needed to help in the lunch room and at recess from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily (K-4: 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and grades 5-8: 12:45 – 1:30 p.m.). While you help, you can eat lunch with your child, see them interact at recess and get to know fellow parents and your child’s classmates. We are in need of regular volunteers to help one day a week or every other week. Your help gives our teachers a little break in the middle of their day to enjoy their lunch. To help with lunch, contact Lola Hollenbeck, Lunchroom Coordinator and to help with recess contact Julie Neville.
General Mills Box Tops: Contest ends late September
Keep clipping and saving box tops! Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Fall Sports Picture Day is Monday, September 19
The fall sports picture day is on Monday, September 19, 2016 from 1:30-2:30 p.m. All fall sports athletes need to bring their uniform to school with them to change into for the pictures.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Women’s Bible Studies at Immanuel Bible Church
Women of Immanuel desire to live by God’s Word. We can only do this if we know God’s Word. Immanuel offers a variety of women’s Bible study groups during the week that offer a place to study His Word together with a group of friends willing to encourage and support one another. Bible study groups will start soon and meet right here at Immanuel, as well as in homes in the community. There are both morning and evening groups with childcare available for most groups that meet at Immanuel. Whether or not you call Immanuel Bible Church your home church, we would love to have you join us. To find out more about the many Bible study choices available and to register, click here. Come be a part of Women’s Bible Study group this Fall.
Immanuel Christian Bookstore
The bookstore welcomes the Immanuel Christian School families back for the 2016-2017 school year. Shop with us and enjoy the discounts throughout the year.
- 20% discount everyday on all regular priced items
- $10 coupons issued when you use your frequent buyer phone number. These coupons may be used in addition to your ICS discount and other store specials
- Special ordering for books, cds, gifts, cards and DVDs. We order for you and you don’t pay the shipping. Use your ICS discount and the $10 coupons.
- Free gift wrapping.
- Great customer service. We are glad to help you!
Bookstore Hours: Open Tuesday & Thursday 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Wednesday 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Sunday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. & 4:30 – 7:00 p.m. Closed Monday, Friday and Saturday.
Trail Life USA
Trail Life is a Christian outdoor adventure program for young men ages 5 to 18 that strives to guide generations of courageous young me to honor God, lead with integrity, serve others, and experience outdoor adventure. Please join us for one of our weekly troop meetings. We meet most Monday evenings from 7:00-8:15 p.m. in the IBC Gymnasium. Through adventure and character and leadership development, this exciting program centers on outdoor experiences that build a young man’s skills and allow him to grow on a personal level and as a role model and leader for his peers. The biblically based, Christ-centered program was officially established on January 1, 2014, and IBC sponsors Troop VA-1115. Our troop currently has over 80 members, so please come and see what we are all about! For more information, check out our web page at http://www.immanuelbible.net/children/tlusa, or send an email to TLUSA@immanuelbible.net.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|