Back to School Edition: September 1, 2016
Back to School Edition: September 1, 2016
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
Welcome Back - Have a GREAT First Week of School!
We hope you enjoyed the summer and are ready for the 2016-2017 school year. We welcome new families, as well as our returning families, new faculty and staff. It was great to see parents and students at the Meet & Greet Monday evening. Don’t forget this weekend is a long weekend for Labor Day.
NO SCHOOL Monday, September 5.
Back-to-School Nights: Mark your calendars
Due to space limitations, this is for parents only.
Upper School (Grades 5-8): Thursday, September 15, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Lower School (Grades K-4): Thursday, September 22, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Back-to-School Night is an opportunity to:
- Learn about expectations for the year from your child’s teacher
- Meet class Parent Service Team members and learn about volunteer opportunities
- Meet the parents of your child’s classmates
- For questions concerning Parent Square, contact Diane Carnahan.
- If you have not received the invitation to set up an account or if you need another invitation, contact Diane Carnahan.
- If two parents are using the same email address, they must share an account, but can both access the same account from their computers or phone apps.
- Don’t forget to enter the code (96167) for the time-sensitive alerts into your phone’s contact list.
Student Accident Insurance
ICS carries Student Accident Insurance underwritten by Gerber Life Insurance Company. The program provides secondary coverage for school-time accidents. Additional information is available here.
RSVP for the Back-to-School Picnic 2016 on Friday, September 9
ICS’s 21st Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Friday, September 9, from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie “Finding Nemo”). Mark your calendar and RSVP to attend this year’s picnic. Note: Rain date is September 16. A special thank you to the Nellis Group for sponsoring the picnic and movie.
Bike Donations for Nicaragua
Bike donations for Nicabikes will be collected again this year at our ICS Back-to-School Picnic, Friday, September 9. Please save those bikes, any size or condition, and bring them to the picnic to help the needy people of Nicaragua. For more information on Nicabikes, please click on the following links:
Fall Uniform Giveaway at Back-to-School Picnic
The Fall Uniform Giveaway will be held at the Back to school Picnic. Please bring in your used Lands’ End uniforms that are in very good condition to the glass breezeway of the school, beginning Tuesday, September 6, continuing through Friday, September 9. ONLY Lands’ End items will be accepted. We will have a limit on the number of items per family that can be taken, but all items will be FREE! If you have questions, please contact Mary Sue Smith.
Fun Lunch and Smart Lunch
Wednesday Fun Lunch: Sign Up by September 9. First Semester Dates: September 21, 2016 – February 3, 2017
Fun Lunches are served on Wednesday during the school year starting September 21, 2016. Subway, Malek’s Pasta, Domino’s Pizza and Chick-Fil-A are delivered on a rotating basis. You have the flexibility to choose any or all meals, for each student, a semester at a time (NO weekly ordering). The first semester of meals must be pre-ordered online. The order deadline is September 9. To sign up, click here. To see the Fun Lunch Schedule click here.
Items that are ordered for Fun Lunches may contain milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts (for example, walnuts, pecans, almonds, and cashews), fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat. While we take steps to minimize the risk of cross contamination or food-sharing, we cannot guarantee that any of our snacks are safe to consume for students with food allergies. ICS cannot assume any liability for adverse reactions to food consumed, or items one may come in contact with while eating at any Fun Lunch event. Please feel free to contact email@example.com if you have concerns about Fun Lunches and your child’s allergies.
Fun Lunch Servers needed
Each week, we need 5 to 6 parents to help serve fun lunches. It is a once a month commitment for 2 ½ hours on Wednesdays between 11:15 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. This is a phenomenal way to satisfy parent service hours, serve side-by-side with other ICS parents and interact with students. We’ll even treat you to lunch!
Fun Lunch Shoppers needed
Again, we need shoppers (3) to purchase drinks and snacks for the fun lunch program. This is a once a month commitment and a great opportunity to earn parent service hours. Fun Lunch shoppers must have a Costco card and be able to purchase all items requested. ICS will reimburse you for the specific items listed on your Costco receipt within 7-10 days. Please note we are unable to advance payment for future purchases.
For interest in any of the Fun Lunch volunteer openings, please email Donna Melendez or contact her at 719-510-1709.
Smart Lunch: 5-Day Healthy and Flexible Lunch Option
ICS partners with Smart Lunches© to offer fresh and healthy lunch options, delivered daily for your convenience. You have the flexibility to choose how often you wish to order! Several hot or cold choices, as well as drinks and snacks are available. Fall ordering now open! Click here for more details and to order.
Fall Picture Day
Splendid Portraits will be taking photographs of all ICS students and staff on Thursday, September 15. Wear your dress-up clothes (follow ICS dress code). No jeans are allowed on this day. These will be your yearbook pictures. Your student will bring home the picture order form next week. Separate order forms and checks are needed for each student, or you may pay with a credit card online before Picture Day (instructions are on the Splendid Order Form). Please turn in picture order forms and payment to your child’s homeroom teacher on or before Picture Day. A few parent volunteers are needed to help that day. Please contact Mary Sue Smith if you can help. Earn Parent Service Hours!
General Reminders: We have these rules set up for the safety of our students. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Carpool drop-off and pick-up will take place at Entrance #3.
- Enter and exit the campus with a right turn. Carpools should enter and leave heading either northbound on Backlick or eastbound on Braddock.
- Students should enter and exit the vehicle from the passenger side only.
- Please refrain from cell phone use during carpool. We need your full attention!
- If you need to pick up your student for an appointment, please do so BEFORE 3:00 p.m.
- See Carpool Map here.
Morning Drop-Off Reminders:
- Students must enter through Entrance 3 (not the Braddock Road entrance) and go directly to the gym.
- Extended Care students and siblings (and other morning activities, i.e. orchestra and math) will enter through Entrance 8 – directly into the gym.
- Please give yourself enough margin in the morning to allow for delays. You may drop off no earlier than 8:00 a.m. (unless enrolled in Extended Care). School starts promptly at 8:20 a.m., so please plan on arriving by 8:15 a.m.
- Please remember to drive slowly and do not pass other vehicles during carpool.
- Students that arrive at 8:30 a.m. or later must be signed in by a parent or carpool driver at Reception.
Afternoon Pick-Up Reminders:
- Every family will have their own carpool number. Each family will get 2 large numbers (to be used in cars) and 4 business card sized numbers (to be used inside in Narthex for walk in pick-up).
If you need more than 2 copies contact Diane Carnahan.
- Please remember your carpool number and have it visible on your passenger-side visor. The numbers will be issued the first day of school. Students will be dismissed by name the first day of school.
- Those wishing to walk inside to pick up their carpool must park and enter through the Braddock Road church entrance (Entrance #1) and wait in the Narthex. You must bring your carpool number to show ICS staff.
- Please follow the directions and instructions of the faculty members on duty.
- Pick up students by 3:30 p.m.
Parents in Prayer Ministry
You are invited to join other parents every Tuesday morning from 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. in Room B201 to pray for our students, teachers, and staff.
- This is a vital ministry that benefits all of us here at ICS. Our ICS Prayer Guide is sent to every family via email, approximately every 3 weeks during the school year. Please take advantage of this guide and pray for the needs that are outlined there, even if you cannot come to Parents in Prayer each week.
- We also encourage you to share your prayer requests with us. Your requests are shared with the coordinator of our Parents in Prayer Ministry and the coordinator on staff who manages our monthly Prayer Guide. You will have the option of indicating if you would like your requests to remain confidential. Click here to send a request. Contact Mary Sue Smith if you have any questions.
We Want Your First Day Photos
Tag us with your first day of school photos to our social media sites: www.Facebook.com/icsva and @icsva on Instagram. Remember to tag #b2sicsva.
Orchestra Program and Private Lessons
Students will have opportunities to learn basic foundations of music for good performance skills. To register, please complete the Web Form on ParentsWeb. Private lesson registration is also available now. Contact Heidi Joye if you would like more information.
Beginning Strings – Monday & Thursday: $325
Concert (Intermediate and Strings) – Monday & Thursday: $325
Percussion Ensemble – Monday afternoon: $220
Instrumental Web Forms:
Part Time Band Director Needed
ICS is seeking a part time Band Director with private teaching opportunity before, during and after school. Questions should be directed to Ms. Heidi Joye.
School Uniforms: Order at Lands' End (#900143637)
Lands’ End is our official school uniform provider. Please check the School Uniform List before purchasing new items for the 2016-2017 school year. For any NEW uniform needs, purchase from Lands’ End, either online or from any Sears Store that carries Lands’ End clothing. To order click here. Be sure to sign up to get promotions, such as free logos, free shipping and discounts.
Clinic Medication Policies
The school nurse stocks the following over the counter medications in the school clinic:
- Acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) Ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin or Advil)
- Antibiotic Ointment for cuts (e.g. Neosporin)
- Hydrocortisone Cream (for minor rash/bug bites)
- Antacids (e.g. Tums)
- Cough Drops (non-medicated)
THESE MEDICATIONS CAN ONLY BE ADMINSITERED BY A SCHOOL NURSE and ONLY IF A PARENT HAS APPROVED THE ADMINISTRATION OF EACH MEDICATION IN ADVANCE.
You may approve these medications by checking “Yes” in the appropriate area of the Emergency Care & Medical Information Form. This form can be found on ParentsWeb by choosing
Web Forms, Back to School Updates and Authorizations, and Student Medical Information near the bottom of the page. Parents are notified by the school nurse via email or phone when medicine has
been dispensed. Students may not have any medicine in their possession while at school except in the case of emergency medication, in which case physician approval to self-carry is required. Please refer to the Parent-Student Handbook (found on the ICS website and ParentsWeb) or contact the school nurse for policies, instructions and authorization forms for other medications. Please contact Cindy Houttekier, RN or Andrea VanHorn, RN or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Fall 2016 After School Club Information
We are excited to offer After School Clubs again this year! Fall 2016 clubs will include Choir Club, Chess Club, Art Club, Lego Club, Martial Arts, Aviation Club and a new STEM offering that is ALL about Minecraft! Students love this after school fun with their friends and parents love the convenience of classes being offered right here at ICS. No extra driving required! Please click here to see the ICS website for registration information and fees for all classes. Most of the clubs will have representatives available to answer your questions at the ICS Resource Fair on the first day of school. Come check out their tables!
General Mills Box Tops: Contest ends late September
Keep clipping and saving box tops! Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day! Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Fall Soccer Tryouts and Cross-Country Begins
- Soccer: Tryouts for the Varsity Girls and Varsity Boys (7th & 8th grade) are Tuesday and Wednesday, September 6 and 7. Tryouts for JV Girls and JV Boys (5th & 6th grade) are Tuesday and Wednesday, September 13 and 14. All students will meet in the gym at 3:15 p.m. and be picked up on the soccer field at 5:00 p.m.
- Cross-Country: The cross-country team starts on Tuesday, September 6, and will meet in the gym at 3:15 p.m. and be picked up at 4:30 p.m. at the picnic tables next to the soccer field.
- All sports require a signed “Intent to Participate” Form and a signed Concussion Form which can be retrieved from the ICS website or in hard copy from the information rack located outside the main office. A copy of the fall sports schedule may also be pulled from the website or on the back of the hard copy “Intent to Participate” forms. These forms must be turned in to the Upper School Office (Room B211) by Friday, September 2nd.
- Picture Day: ALL fall sport athletes will have picture day on Monday, September, 19 from 1:30-2:30. Please ensure that your child brings his/her game uniform to school that day.
Trying out for ICS Soccer Teams? Want to go to a DC United Game?
If you have a child trying out for the JV or Varsity soccer teams at ICS this fall you are invited to attend the annual D.C. United soccer game to celebrate the season. The game is Saturday, September 24 at 7:00 p.m.
- This evening is designed for parents to take their child to the event.
- We will meet at RFK and have a great time.
- Please note that purchasing tickets does not guarantee your child will make the soccer team. Because of the date of the game we must begin selling the tickets before the teams are finalized. If you purchase tickets and your child does not make the team, they are still welcome to participate in the activities on the field before the game.
- Please fill out the order form by September 14 and return to Mr. Pinkley as soon as possible! Contact Dale Pinkley (hyperlink to my email) with any questions.
JV Boys and Girls Soccer Coaches Needed
Coaches are needed for JV Boys soccer assistant, JV Girls head and assistant. The commitment is a maximum 3 days a week for 2 hours (no weekends or holidays). This is a great way to get involved in the ICS family, and show our children how to honor God in all areas of life. Contact Travis Briggs if you have questions.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Women’s Bible Studies at Immanuel Bible Church
Women of Immanuel desire to live by God’s Word. We can only do this if we know God’s Word. Immanuel offers a variety of women’s Bible study groups during the week that offer a place to study His Word together with a group of friends willing to encourage and support one another. Bible study groups will start soon and meet right here at Immanuel, as well as in homes in the community. There are both morning and evening groups with childcare available for most groups that meet at Immanuel. Whether or not you call Immanuel Bible Church your home church, we would love to have you join us. To find out more about the many Bible study choices available and to register, click here. Come be a part of Women’s Bible Study group this Fall.
MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) at Immanuel Bible Church
The first MOPS meeting of the year is Monday, September 12th, 7-9 PM in A207 (without our children). We will have a BBQ picnic dinner and desserts! Our speakers are our MOPS co-coordinators, Sarah Benjamin and Kim Hill. They will introduce and explain our year-long theme of “We Are the Starry Eyed”. Bring your mom friends– the first meeting is free! More information can be found here.
Immanuel Christian Bookstore
The bookstore welcomes the Immanuel Christian School families back for the 2016-2017 school year. Shop with us and enjoy the discounts throughout the year.
- 20% discount everyday on all regular priced items
- $10 coupons issued when you use your frequent buyer phone number. These coupons may be used in addition to your ICS discount and other store specials
- Special ordering for books, cds, gifts, cards and DVDs. We order for you and you don’t pay the shipping. Use your ICS discount and the $10 coupons.
- Free gift wrapping.
- Great customer service. We are glad to help you!
Bookstore Hours: Open Tuesday & Thursday 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Wednesday 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Sunday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. & 4:30 – 7:00 p.m. Closed Monday, Friday and Saturday.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|