Summer Edition: August 11, 2016
Summer Edition: August 11, 2016
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
See You on Campus in a Few Weeks
With the beginning of school three weeks away, we hope you are enjoying the remainder of the summer. Teachers and summer staff have been busy preparing for the new school year and staff will be here soon for several days of training and planning. Please pray for our teachers and staff as they prepare for the new school year. The ICS team is praying for you, the parents and students, as we enter this new school year.
First Day of School for 2016-2017: Wednesday, August 31 at 8:20 a.m.
We will begin the school year at 8:20 a.m. on Wednesday, August 31, with an assembly in the Worship Center. Please do not go to the classrooms first. Parents are encouraged to attend the assembly. The first day of school will end at 1:30 p.m. for all students. Students will need to bring a lunch or order from Smart Lunches. We are looking forward to a great day and a great school year.
Mark Your Calendars for Upcoming Back-to-School Events
- Meet & Greet: (K-8th grade): Monday, August 29 from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. Bring school supplies and meet your child’s teacher. Pre-ordered school supplies will be waiting in your child’s class. PE uniforms may be purchased for $20.
- All 5th & 6th Grade and New 7th & 8th Grade Student/Parent Orientation: Monday, August 29. 7:00 – 8:15 p.m. in the Seminar Room.
- New Parent Orientation (K-8th grade): Wednesday, August 31, 8:45 – 9:15 a.m. in the gym.
- Information Fair: Wednesday, August 31, 8:45-10:00 a.m. in the Atrium
- Back-to-School Picnic: Friday, September 9. Picnic – 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. & Movie – 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. Watch for volunteer sign up.
Class Assignments 2016-2017 in Mid-August
Class assignments for the school year have not been finalized. The admission process for new students continues throughout the summer and will affect the final placement lists. In order to allow the administration the opportunity to finalize class lists, they will not be ready until mid-August. Remember, all online Web Forms must be completed by August 19 prior to receiving your child’s class assignment.
Fun Lunch and Smart Lunch
Wednesday Fun Lunch – Sign Up by September 9. First Semester Dates: September 21, 2016 – February 3, 2017. Fun Lunches are served on Wednesday (unless due to an unforeseen/unscheduled event, we will reschedule the Fun Lunch) during the school year starting September 21, 2016. Subway, Malek’s Pasta, Domino’s Pizza, and Chick-Fil-A are delivered on a rotating basis. You have the flexibility to choose any or all meals, for each student, a semester at a time (NO weekly ordering). The first semester of meals must be pre-ordered online. Ordering will begin the 3rd week of August and the order deadline is September 9. To sign up, click here. To see the Fun Lunch Schedule click here.
Fun Lunch Servers needed. Each week, we need 5 to 6 parents to help serve fun lunches. It is a once a month commitment for 2 ½ hours on Wednesdays between 11:15 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. This is a phenomenal way to satisfy parent service hours, serve side-by-side with other ICS parents and interact with students. We’ll even treat you to lunch!
Fun Lunch Shoppers needed. Again, we will require shoppers (3) to purchase drinks and snacks for the fun lunch program. This is a once a month commitment and a great opportunity to earn parent service hours. Fun Lunch shoppers must have a Costco card and be able to purchase all items requested. ICS will reimburse you for the specific items listed on your Costco receipt within 7-10 days. Please note we are unable to advance payment for future purchases.
For interest in any of the Fun Lunch volunteer openings, please email Donna Melendez or contact her at 719-510-1709.
Smart Lunch: 5-Day Healthy and Flexible Lunch Option. ICS partners with Smart Lunches© to offer fresh and healthy lunch options, delivered daily for your convenience. You have the flexibility to choose how often you wish to order! Several hot or cold choices, as well as drinks and snacks are available. Fall ordering now open! Click here for more details and to order. Deliveries begin the first day of school, Wednesday, August 31.
Important Information for New Families
Welcome to ICS! In order to be ready to begin the school year, please complete the following tasks:
- Submit all 2015-2016 report cards and testing results.
- Summer reading is required for grades 1-8. The required books for grades 3-8 are available in the school office. See Summer Reading List. Other books should be obtained elsewhere or borrowed at a local library.
- New students in 7th & 8th grades need to pick up a Spanish study packet in the office.
- ParentsWeb is the parent portal to the ICS database. Here you will be able to access directories, forms, update information, etc. Be sure to set up your ParentsWeb account and password now so that you can complete the Web Forms online prior to the beginning of school. District Code is ics-va.
Forms to be completed for ALL FAMILIES
Please complete the Back to School Information and update Web Forms on ParentsWeb (District Code is ics-va). Some forms are required to be completed BEFORE you receive your child’s class assignment, noted with an * below. The deadline to complete forms is August 19, so you can receive your class placement on August 22. Click “save” at the end of each form.
- Verify Parent Information
- Verify Student Information and provide medical information*, email address* (Grade 5-8), and t-shirt size
- Grandparent Information which will be used for our Grandparents’ Day invitation in December.
- Emergency Contact Information*
- Annual Forms
- Parent Agreement*
- Responsible Use Policy*
- Field Trip Authorization*
- Volunteer Driver Application*-Must be updated annually. Signature required if you do NOT plan to drive or completed and signed if you plan to drive for a field trip during the year. For individuals other than parents, hard copies are available in Reception on the school website under Resource Documents.
View or download the following documents found under Resource Documents on ParentsWeb or the school website under the Parent > Resource Documents:
- 2016-2017 School Calendar
- Supply Lists:
- School Uniform List (Grades 1-8)
- Summer Reading List (Grades 1-8)
- 2016-2017 Zip Code List (ParentsWeb only)
- Medical Forms for Daily Medication and Care Plans
- Extended Care Web Forms for all new AND returning families
Extended Care has room!
We have a few spots left for both Morning Care and After Care in this new school year. Morning Care is available at 7:00 a.m. Monday through Friday. After Care is available Mondays from 1:30 – 6:00 p.m. and Tuesdays through Fridays from 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. The contract is available on ParentsWeb. If interested, please submit the contract and once confirmed, the payment will be added to your FACTS account.
Extended Care available for Teacher Workdays and Parent-Teacher Conference days!
The Extended Care Program offers care for students on Teacher Workdays and Parent-Teacher Conference days from 8:00-4:00 p.m. Registration is on a first-come, first served basis because space is limited. The contract is available on ParentsWeb.
Orchestra Program and Private Lessons
Students will have opportunities to learn basic foundations of music for good performance skills. To register, please complete the Web Form on ParentsWeb. Private lesson registration is also available now. Contact Heidi Joye if you would like more information.
Beginning Strings – Monday & Tuesday: $325
Concert (Intermediate and Strings) – Monday & Wednesday: $325
Percussion Ensemble – Monday afternoon: $220
Instrumental Web Forms:
- 2016-2017 Orchestra and Band Pre-Registration
- 2016-2017 Private Music Lesson Pre-Registration
Immunizations – Rising 6th Graders and New Families
- Rising 6th Graders: Virginia immunization requirements state that all rising 6th graders are required to submit documentation that a tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) booster administered after 2010. This documentation is required for your child to start the 2016-17 school year, and must be turned into the school office by August 15, 2016.
- New Families: Please remember to turn in your child’s physical and immunization record to the office prior to August 15.
Back to School Picnic: Friday, September 9
ICS’s 21st Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Friday, September 9, from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie “Finding Nemo”). Mark your calendar and RSVP to attend this year’s picnic. Note: Rain date is September 16. A special thank you to the Nellis Group for sponsoring the picnic and movie.
Fall Uniform Giveaway
Parents, if you missed our Spring Used Uniform Giveaway, please save your used Lands’ End uniforms for the Giveaway at the Back to School Picnic, which is Friday, September 9. You will be able to bring them in a few days before the Picnic. More information will follow.
Bike Donations for Nicaragua
Bike donations for Nicabikes will be collected again this year at our ICS Back to School Picnic, Friday, September 9. Please save those bikes, any size or condition and bring them to the picnic, to help the needy people of Nicaragua. For more information on Nicabikes, please click on the following links:
School Uniforms: Order at Lands' End (#900143637)
Lands’ End is our official school uniform provider. Please check the School Uniform List before purchasing new items for the 2016-2017 school year. For any NEW uniform needs, purchase from Lands’ End, either online or from any Sears Store that carries Lands’ End clothing. To order click here. Be sure to sign up to get promotions, such as free logos, free shipping, and discounts.
New Uniform Sweaters and Fleece Options from Lands’ End 2016-2017
- Upper School Boys (grades 5-8)– Performance Drifter Zip-Front Cardigan in Classic Navy. ICS logo is optional.
- Lower School and Upper School Boys (grades 1-8)– Micro fleece Half-zip option in Classic Navy. ICS logo is optional.
- Lower School Girls (grades 1-4)– Performance drifter sweater with full zipper in Classic Navy. The fine gauge sweater will continue to be offered. ICS logo is optional.
General Reminders: We have these rules set up for the safety of our students. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Carpool drop-off and pick-up will take place at Entrance #3.
- Enter and exit the campus with a right turn. Carpools should enter and leave heading either northbound on Backlick or eastbound on Braddock.
- Students should enter and exit the vehicle from the passenger side only.
- Please refrain from cell phone use during carpool. We need your full attention!
- If you need to pick up your student for an appointment, please do so BEFORE 3:00 p.m. After 3:00 p.m. students will be dismissed at regular time.
- See Carpool Map here.
Morning Drop-Off Reminders:
- Students must enter through the Entrance 3 Glass Breezeway (not the Braddock Road entrance) and go directly to the gym.
- Extended Care students and siblings (and other morning activities, i.e. orchestra and math) will enter through Entrance 8 – directly into the gym.
- Please give yourself enough margin in the morning to allow for delays. You may drop off no earlier than 8:00 a.m. (unless enrolled in Extended Care). School starts promptly at 8:20 a.m., so please plan on arriving by 8:15 a.m.
- Please remember to drive slowly and do not pass other vehicles during carpool.
Afternoon Pick-Up Reminders:
- Every family will have their own carpool number. Each family will get 2 large numbers (to be used in cars) and 4 business card numbers (to be used inside in Narthex for walk in pick-up).
If you need more than 2 copies contact Diane Carnahan.
- Please remember your carpool number and have it visible on your passenger-side visor. The numbers will be issued the first day of school. Students will be dismissed by name the first day of school.
- Those wishing to walk inside to pick up their carpool must park and enter through the Braddock Road church entrance (Entrance #1) and wait in the Narthex. Please bring your carpool number to show ICS staff.
- Please follow the directions and instructions of the faculty members on duty.
- Pick up students by 3:30 p.m.
Interested in getting more involved in your child's classroom? Join a Parent Service Team.
- Get to know the students, teachers and families.
- For moms and/or dads who would like to work on a team with other parents to provide and coordinate volunteer support in each classroom.
- Use your gifts and abilities at ICS.
- Email Jill Rummel, Parent Service Team Coordinator, and let her know if you are interested or if you would like more information. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
Clinic Medication Policies
The school nurse stocks the following over the counter medications in the school clinic:
- Acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) Ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin or Advil)
- Antibiotic Ointment for cuts (e.g. Neosporin)
- Hydrocortisone Cream (for minor rash/bug bites)
- Antacids (e.g. Tums)
- Cough Drops (non-medicated)
THESE MEDICATIONS CAN ONLY BE ADMINSITERED BY A SCHOOL NURSE and ONLY IF A PARENT HAS APPROVED THE ADMINISTRATION OF EACH MEDICATION IN ADVANCE.
You may approve these medications by checking “Yes” in the appropriate area of the Emergency Care & Medical Information Form. This form can be found on ParentsWeb by choosing
Web Forms, Back to School Updates and Authorizations, and Student Medical Information near the bottom of the page. Parents are notified by the school nurse via email or phone when medicine has
been dispensed. Students may not have any medicine in their possession while at school except in the case of Emergency medication, in which case physician approval to self-carry is required. Please refer to the Parent-Student Handbook (found on the ICS website and ParentsWeb), or contact the school nurse for policies, instructions and authorization forms for other medications. Please contact Cindy Houttekier, RN or Andrea VanHorn, RN at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Summer Class Playdates
Join us for a grade level playdate on the ICS playground to meet future classmates and parents!
- Kindergarten: August 11 from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Kindergarten: August 15 from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m
- 2nd Grade: August 17 from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- 3rd & 4th Grade: August 18 from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team this fall. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Student applicants are welcome but must be at least 16 years of age. Please email Allison Masson, our Extended Care Director, for more information.
Fall 2016 After School Club Information
We are excited to offer After School Clubs again this year! Fall 2016 clubs will include Choir Club, Chess Club, Art Club, Lego Club, Martial Arts, Aviation Club and a new STEM offering that is ALL about Minecraft! Students love this after school fun with their friends and parents love the convenience of classes being offered right here at ICS. No extra driving required! Please click here to see the ICS website for registration information and fees for all classes. Most of the clubs will have representatives available to answer your questions at the ICS Resource Fair on the first day of school. Come check out their tables!
Summer Office Hours
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
2016-2017 School Calendar
Click here for the complete 2016-2017 calendar.
School’s OUT, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those box tops over the summer, and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education. This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these collection sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning for the school year. We fell a little short of our goal this year. Let’s prepare the next school year for a great start!
- Contest for the Fall:The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
JV Boys and JV Girls Soccer Coaches Needed
The commitment is a maximum 3 days a week for 2 hours (no weekends or holidays). This is a great way to get involved in the ICS family, and show our children how to honor God in all areas of life. Contact Travis Briggs if you have questions.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Women’s Ministry – Immanuel Bible Church: Sweet Sundae, August 28 at 6:30 p.m. in the Atrium.
A new ministry year is just around the corner. Join us for sundaes, worship, learn about Bible studies for the Fall and enjoy Kathy Holley speaking on Savoring the Sweet Love of Jesus. Register online.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|