Summer Edition: July 14, 2016
Summer Edition: July 14, 2016
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
Summer Office Hours
Tuesday – Thursday (closed Mondays and Fridays), 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. through August 12.
Spread the Word About ICS
Continue to spread the word about ICS as you see people over the summer, at the pool, camp, etc. If you have a friend who may be interested in enrolling their children at ICS, please encourage them to contact email@example.com to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. There are spots still available for the 2016-2017 school year! Apply here. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives!
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing him/her directly. Tutors are listed by experience content expertise.
- Kate Alvarado: Grades 5-8: Science & Math(K8alvarado@gmail.com or 970.227.3964)
- Sarah Calhoun: Grades K-8, Math/Reading/Language Arts(firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Donna Christophersen: Grades 6-12, Math through Pre-Calculus (email@example.com 703.405.8331)
- Nate Fox (high school senior): Grades K-8: Math, Science, Language Arts ( Natefox7@gmail.comor 571.242.6200
- Danielle Gleason: Grades K-3, Math, Reading, and Language Arts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lindsey Hardenbergh: Grades 6-12, English and Spanish (Lahardenberg@fcps.eduor 571.265.9203)
- Kathy Holley: Reading, Language Arts through 8thgrade & Math through 5th grade, background in learning disabilities (email@example.com or 703.371.8447)
- Calla Nyboer: 3-6thMath, Language Arts, Social Studies (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Faculty Update 2016-2017
At the end of the school year, we said farewell to Billy Robinson. Katie Deering will be moving to 8th
grade as the 8B homeroom teacher and 8th grade Social Studies and Bible Teacher. We are in the process of finalizing all open positions for faculty and staff.
New Family Sponsor Program
New Family Sponsor Program
Remember what it was like to be the “new kid on the block”? Having a new friend before school starts can make all the difference! Would you like to help sponsor a new student and his or her family this summer? Let us know the name and grade of each child who would like to participate. This is not only a student commitment, but each student must be assisted by parents too. Click here to view the guidelines and student expectations. Please contact Lauren Gessner, Enrollment Manager, to volunteer or ask questions.
Important Information for New Families
Welcome to ICS! In order to be ready to begin the school year, please complete the following tasks:
- Submit all 2015-2016 report cards and testing results.
- Summer reading is required for grades 1-8. The required books for grades 3-8 are available in the school office. See Summer Reading List. Other books should be obtained elsewhere or borrowed at a local library.
- New students in 7th & 8th grades, pick up a Spanish study packet in the office.
- ParentsWeb is the parent portal to the ICS database. Here you will be able to access directories, forms, update information, etc. Be sure to set up your ParentsWeb account and password now so that you can complete the Web Forms online prior to the beginning of school. District Code is ics-va.
Forms to be completed for ALL FAMILIES
Please complete the Back to School Information and update Web Forms on ParentsWeb (District Code is ics-va). Some forms are required to be completed BEFORE you receive your child’s class assignment, noted with an * below. The deadline to complete forms is August 19, so you can receive your class placement on August 22. Click “save” at the end of each form.
- Verify Parent Information
- Verify Student Information and provide medical information*, email address* (Grade 5-8), and t-shirt size
- Grandparent Information which will be used for our Grandparents’ Day invitation in December.
- Emergency Contact Information*
- Annual Forms
o Parent Agreement*
o Responsible Use Policy*
o Field Trip Authorization*
o Volunteer Driver Application*
Must be updated annually. Signature required if you do NOT plan to drive or completed and signed if you plan to drive for a field trip during the year. For individuals other than parents, hard copies are available in Reception on the school website under Resource Documents.
- Extended Care Web forms for all new AND returning families
Download the following documents found under Resource Documents on ParentsWeb or the school website under the Parent > Resource Documents:
- 2016-2017 School Calendar
- Supply Lists:
- School Uniform List (Grades 1-8)
- Summer Reading List (Grades 1-8)
- 2016-2017 Zip Code List (ParentsWeb only)
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team this fall. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Student applicants are welcome but must be at least 16 years of age. Please email Allison Masson, our Extended Care Director, for more information.
Students will have opportunities to learn basic foundations of music for good performance skills. To register, please complete the Web Form on ParentsWeb. Private lesson registration is also available now.
Beginning Strings – Monday & Tuesday: $325
Concert (Intermediate and Strings) – Monday & Wednesday: $325
Percussion Ensemble – Monday afternoon: $220
Instrumental Web Forms:
- 2016-2017 Orchestra and Band Pre-Registration
- 2016-2017 Private Music Lesson Pre-Registration
Directory in ParentsWeb Unavailable for the Summer
The online directory in ParentsWeb will not be available during the summer. However there is a copy of the directory with all phone numbers and email addresses on ParentsWeb under Resource Documents. Please contact the school office for assistance if you are unable to find what you need.
Immunizations – Rising 6th Graders and New Families
- Rising 6th Graders: Virginia immunization requirements state that all rising 6th graders are required to submit documentation that a tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) booster administered after 2009. This documentation is required for your child to start the 2016-17 school year, and must be turned into the school office by August 1, 2016.
- New Families: Please remember to turn in your child’s physical and immunization record to the office prior to August 1.
Class Assignments 2016-2017 in Mid-August
Class assignments for the school year have not been finalized. The admission process for new students continues throughout the summer and will affect the final placement lists. In order to allow the administration the opportunity to finalize class lists, they will not be ready until mid-August. Remember, all online Web Forms must be completed prior to receiving your child’s class assignment.
School Uniforms: Order at Lands' End (#900143637)
Lands’ End is our official school uniform provider. Please check the School Uniform List before purchasing new items for the 2016-2017 school year. For any NEW uniform needs, purchase from Lands’ End, either online or from any Sears Store that carries Lands’ End clothing. To order click here. Be sure to sign up to get promotions, such as free logos, free shipping, and discounts.
New Uniform Sweaters and Fleece Options from Lands’ End 2016-2017
- Upper School Boys (grades 5-8)– Performance Drifter Zip-Front Cardigan in Classic Navy. ICS logo is optional.
- Lower School and Upper School Boys (grades 1-8)– Micro fleece Half-zip option in Classic Navy. ICS logo is optional.
- Lower School Girls (grades 1-4)– Performance drifter sweater with full zipper in Classic Navy. The fine gauge sweater will continue to be offered. ICS logo is optional.
Back to School Picnic 2016: Mark Your Calendar for Friday, September 9
ICS’s 21st Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Friday, September 9, from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie). Mark your calendar and plan on attending this year’s picnic. Note: Rain date is September 16.
Fall Uniform Giveaway
Parents, if you missed our Spring Used Uniform Giveaway, please save your used Lands’ End uniforms for the Giveaway at the Back to School Picnic, which is Friday, September 9. You will be able to bring them in a few days before the Picnic. More information will be coming later this summer about this.
Bike Donations for Nicaragua
Bike donations for Nicabikes will be collected again this year at our ICS Back to School Picnic, Friday, September 9. Please save those bikes, any size or condition and bring them to the picnic, to help the needy people of Nicaragua. For more information on Nicabikes, please click on the following links:
School’s OUT, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those box tops over the summer, and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education. This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these collection sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning for the school year. We fell a little short of our goal this year. Let’s prepare the next school year for a great start!
- Contest for the Fall:The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Join a Parent Service Team for 2016-2017
Interested in getting more involved in your child’s classroom next year? Consider joining a Parent Service Team. It’s a great way to get to know the students, teachers and families. We are looking for moms and dads who would like to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom. This is a wonderful opportunity to serve and use your gifts and abilities at ICS. Please email Jill Rummel, Parent Service Team Coordinator, and let her know if you are interested in serving on a Parent Service Team or if you would like more information. If you have multiple children at the school, please list your order of preference for the grade you would like to assist. We will do our best to place you where you would like to serve as we balance the support for each class. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
Summer Grade Level Gatherings
Several parents have expressed interest in getting classes together over the summer. This is a great way to provide time with school friends who don’t live “in the neighborhood” to meet new students and in general stay in touch over the summer. If you would be interested in organizing a one-time event, please let us know. If you would like to meet on campus, we will need to reserve the space for you (even the playground area must be reserved). This is not organized by the Parent Service Team so anyone can plan an event. It could be a bowling afternoon, going to the movies, lunch on the playground, kickball on the field, dinner at Chick-Fil-A, etc. Parents would need to chaperone their own event. Diane Carnahan can help by providing the email addresses and other contact information for you. Let us know how we can help!
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Follow ICS on Social Media
Did you know that ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn! If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. Also, check out our Alumni group on Facebook. We’d love to hear about your summer adventures!
Immanuel Bible Church Hope Ministry – Donations Needed
Immanuel’s Hope Ministry is low on donations. Take some time and clean out a closet or dresser to help this ministry that helps so many in our community. Drop off donations at the white building on the far side of the ICS Athletic Fields on Wednesday from noon to 4:00 p.m. or Sunday from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. Thanks!!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|