June 9, 2016
June 9, 2016
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
God has blessed our 2015-2016 school year.
Enjoy your summer!
Schedule for last few days of school
- Friday, 10: No School/Teacher Workday
- Monday-Wednesday, June 13-15: Noon Dismissal (Monday no Hallway Dismissal)
- Tuesday, June 14: Graduation & Awards Ceremony, 7:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 15: Last Day of School – Aloha Day
No Hallway Pick-up on Monday, June 13
Due to a funeral on the church side on Monday we will not be offering hallway pick-up at Noon. Please use the carpool system to pick up your student.
Attendance during the Last Week of School
The last day of school for students is Wednesday, June 15 with a NOON DISMISSAL. If your child will be absent June 13-15, please email the teacher by tomorrow, June 10. Classroom materials belonging to your child should be picked up in the school office after you return.
Spread the Word About ICS!
Do you have a friend who is interested in enrolling their children at ICS for the 2016-2017 school year? Now is the time to apply! Click here to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives!
Graduation and Awards (Grades 3-8) – June 14 at 7:15 p.m.
The Graduation and Awards Program is scheduled for Tuesday, June 14, at 7:15 p.m. Students in grades 3-7 should report to their classrooms at 6:45 p.m. in order to proceed into the Worship Center as a class.
- Graduating 8th grade students should report to their classrooms no later than 6:30 p.m.
- Please Note: Kindergarten-2nd grade students do not participate in graduation; however, they may attend and sit with their parents.
- Graduation dress code: Students are expected to dress up and follow dress code standards detailed in the “Parent Student Handbook.”
All-School Dress Down Days
All students will have dress down days on June 13, 14, and 15. The last day of school, June 15, is Aloha Day. Students are encouraged to wear colorful shorts and shirts, sunglasses, leis, anything that reflects Hawaii on the last day of school. Please note: Dress down code applies (shorts must be no shorter than 3” above the knees, no tank tops, etc.) Please see the Parent Student Handbook for information on appropriate dress down attire.
Extended Care Reminders for End of Year
Please watch your email – January through June 2016 Extended Care receipts are coming soon! Extended Care hours for the last two weeks of school are listed below:
- June 10: Teacher Work Day Extended Care from 8:00 a.m. -4:00 p.m. for parents who have already signed up their children for additional days.
- June 13: Last day of Extended Care for kindergarten ONLY, K-8 has Extended Care until 6:00 p.m.
- June 14: Last day of Extended Care for Grades 1-7. (no kindergarten Extended Care)
- June 13-15: Morning care as usual
Extended Care 2016-2017
Enrollment for Extended Care 2016-2017 is now open. If you plan on enrolling your child(ren) in Extended Care, but have not submitted the contract and had the fees added to your account, please do so by June 12. We are working on budget and staffing needs that are dependent on Extended Care enrollment. The 2016-2017 contract is available as a Web Form only in ParentsWeb. Fees will be added to your FACTS payment plan.
Faculty/Staff Updates for 2016-17
Each year, we say farewell to faculty members. Some are retiring or taking a leave of absence or moving onto other ventures. We want to thank the following employees for their years of faithful service to students, parents, co-workers and above all, the Lord: Sue Agazzi, Linda Bethke, Carol Beall, Jenny Britton, Donna Christophersen, Monika Cohen, Susan Colletti, Sharon Dotson, Christy Kruger, Ann Marsh, Gail Morris, Daniel Padilla, Kristen Ries, Lori Slattery, Judith Smith and Shelley Spradling.
The following people are changing positions:
- Kelli Harris will transition to teach 3rd grade
- Jerylen Daniels will transition to teach 1st grade
- Cindy Wade will teach grades K-6th Music
- Lisa Fisher will teach K-2nd P.E. in addition to 3rd-8th P.E.
- Heidi Joye will be the new orchestra director
- Erika McKellop will move to be the Upper School Librarian
- Joyce Wallen will become the Educational Resources Coordinator
In spite of all these changes, God has already provided outstanding candidates to fill most of these positions. Currently, we are busy interviewing and finalizing decisions about new candidates for these openings and look forward to welcoming another group of highly qualified, spiritually mature men and women whom the Lord will add to the ICS faculty and staff.
ICS Basketball Camp – June 20-24
ICS basketball camp will be Monday – Friday, June 20-24. Camp will be held in the ICS Gym from 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Camp is limited to both boys and girls entering 4th – 9th grades. Click here to register.
COST: $225. Two or more campers per family: $175.00 for each additional camper. A non-refundable $50.00 deposit is due at time of registration and the balance is due the first day of camp. Campers will need to bring a lunch each day.
2016-2017 School Supply Online Ordering: Deadline July 1
Our partnership with Cornerstone Office Solutions will continue to provide parents and students with an easy-to-order supply kit for next school year. Each kit includes the required supplies for every grade level. Just place the order online and the kits will be delivered to your child’s classroom in time for the ICS Meet & Greet in August – no need to store supply kits at home over the summer. Best of all, a portion of the purchase price will go to ICS! Flyers have gone home with your child that includes the specific grade level username and password. Click here to order.
Parents in Prayer
We wish to express a heartfelt thanks to the group of parents who faithfully came each week to pray for Immanuel Christian School throughout the school year. Please consider joining the prayer team for the 2016-2017 school year. This is a vitally important ministry within our school family! Parent Service Hours may be earned for this as well.
Summer Office Hours
Please note our summer office hours begin Thursday, June 16. Our hours will be 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Beginning Monday, June 27 the office will be open Tuesday – Thursday through the summer (closed Mondays and Fridays).
ICS Chick-Fil-A Fundraiser: Tuesday, June 28, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Join the ICS family at Chick-Fil-A, Springfield location, Backlick Shopping Center, 6681a Backlick Rd, Springfield, VA 22150 on Tuesday, June 28 from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. We look forward to seeing you there as we raise funds for the PTF.
Thank You Parent Volunteers
We could not be as efficient or creative without our parent volunteers. Thank you for partnering with us and for your hard work and support throughout the school year. Special thanks to the parents who volunteered to listen to Bible verses this year. We had a great response to our request for listeners and having many volunteers helped the recitation time go more smoothly. We appreciate you!
Summer Reading Requirements
All students in grades 1-7 are required to participate in the summer reading program. Students will be given the summer reading program guidelines with their report card. Rising 3rd-8th graders will be given their required book for summer reading on the last day of school.
Results of Standardized Testing
Student annual standardized test results for grades 3-8 will be included in report card envelopes on June 15.
Class Placement for 2016-2017
Teachers and administrators take class placement very seriously. Teachers of each grade level meet together and pray for wisdom as they recommend class placements for the upcoming school year. Many aspects are discussed ranging from balancing academics, gender, class size and classroom dynamics. As a new school year approaches, we encourage parents to remember the following:
- Any specific requests from parents about a child’s learning style and educational needs may be communicated to your child’s teacher no later than June 17. These requests should be submitted in writing and will be given due consideration. In the end, parents are encouraged to prayerfully support the faculty and administration in final placement decisions.
- The administration reserves the right to make all final placement decisions based on careful educational and organizational input from teachers and team leaders.
- Due to on-going changes during the summer admissions process, class placement will be given to parents late in August after all Web Forms are completed on ParentsWeb.
Summer Mailings & Data Changes
“In the Loop” enewsletters will come out by email in July and August. Watch your inbox! Please continue to update your contact information on ParentsWeb or contact the school office at 703.941.1220. The Updated Family Directory will be available over the summer on ParentsWeb.
Join a Parent Service Team for 2016-2017
Interested in getting more involved in your child’s classroom next year? Consider joining a Parent Service Team. It’s a great way to get to know the students, teachers and families. We are looking for moms and dads who would like to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom. This is a wonderful opportunity to serve and use your gifts and abilities at ICS. Please email Jill Rummel, Parent Service Team Coordinator, and let her know if you are interested in serving on a Parent Service Team or if you would like more information. If you have multiple children at the school, please list your order of preference for the grade you would like to assist. We will do our best to place you where you would like to serve as we balance the support for each class. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
New Family Sponsor Program
Remember what it was like to be the “new kid on the block”? Having a new friend before school starts can make all the difference! Would you like to help sponsor a new student and his or her family this summer? Let us know the name and grade of each child who would like to participate. This is not only a student commitment, but each student must be assisted by parents too. Click here to view the guidelines and student expectations. Please contact Lauren Umble to volunteer or ask questions.
Grade Level Gatherings over the Summer
Several parents have expressed interest in getting classes together over the summer. This is a great way to provide time with school friends who don’t live “in the neighborhood” to meet new students and stay in touch over the summer. If you would be interested in organizing a one time event, please let us know. If you would like to meet on campus we will need to reserve the space for you (even the playground area must be reserved). This is not organized by the Parent Service Team so anyone can plan an event! It could be a bowling afternoon, going to the movies, lunch on the playground, kickball on the field, dinner at Chick-Fil-A, etc. Parents would need to chaperone their own event. Diane Carnahan can help by providing the email addresses and other contact information for you. Let us know how we can help!
ICS Library Book Fair
The library staff thanks you for your support during the ICS Book Fair. Our short fair was definitely sweet! Keep reading this summer and we’ll see you in the fall.
Fall Uniform Give-Away
Parents, if you missed our Spring Used Uniform Exchange recently, please save your used Lands’ End uniforms for the Exchange at the Back-to-School Picnic, which is Friday, September 9. You will be able to bring them in a few days before the picnic. More information will be coming later this summer about this.
New Uniform Sweaters and Fleece Options from Lands’ End for 2016-17
- Upper School Boys (grades 5-8) – Performance Drifter Zip-Front Cardigan in Classic Navy. ICS logo is optional.
- Lower School and Upper School Boys (grades 1-8) – Micro fleece Half-zip option in Classic Navy. ICS logo is optional.
- Lower School Girls (grades 1-4) – Performance drifter sweater with full zipper in Classic Navy. The fine gauge sweater will continue to be offered. ICS logo is optional.
School Uniforms: Order at Lands' End (#900143637)
Lands’ End is our official school uniform provider. Please check the School Uniform List before purchasing new items for the 2016-2017 school year. For any NEW uniform needs, purchase from Lands’ End, either online or from any Sears Store that carries Lands’ End clothing. To order click here.
ICS Spirit Wear now available!
ICS Spirit Wear now available through My Locker! Click here to access our “locker” (locker door number is ar202). Use the promo code (W5BPK7TJ) at check out to receive $10 off through June 11, 2016. ICS Spirit Wear is not part of the school uniform, but it may be worn on dress down days and outside during recess.
Notes from Clinic
- Pick Up Medications: Please remember to pick up all medications you have had on file in the clinic. All medications must be picked up no later than Wednesday, June 15 or they will be discarded. New medication/allergy/asthma forms are needed each year, so please keep this in mind if you visit the doctor this summer.
- Forms for siblings new to ICS next year: If your current student has a sibling who will be joining ICS next year, please remember to provide a current physical and a record of all immunizations prior to August 1, 2016. If you have any questions about what is required, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing him/her directly. Tutors are listed by experience.
- Kate Alvarado: Grades 5-8: Science & Math. K8alvarado@gmail.com or 970.227.3964
- Sarah Calhoun: Grades K-8, Math/Reading/Language Arts, email@example.com
- Donna Christophersen: Grades 6-12, Math through Pre-Calculus, firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.405.8331
- Nate Fox (high school senior): Grades K-8: Math, Science, Language Arts. Natefox7@gmail.com or 571.242.6200
- Danielle Gleason: Grades K-3, Math, Reading, and Language Arts, email@example.com
- Lindsey Hardenbergh: Grades 6-12, English and Spanish, Lahardenberg@fcps.edu or 571.265.9203
- Kathy Holley: Reading, Language Arts through 8th grade & Math through 5th grade, background in learning disabilities. firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.371.8447
- Calla Nyboer: 3-6th Math, Language Arts, Social Studies, email@example.com
School Calendar for 2016-2017
- First Day of School: Wednesday, August 31, 2016
- Parent Teacher Conferences: Friday, November 11; Monday, November 14 after 1:45 p.m. & Friday, Nov. 18
- Thanksgiving Break: Wednesday – Friday, November 23-25
- Christmas Program/Grandparents’ Day: Friday, December 16
- Christmas Break: Monday, December 19 – Monday, January 2
- Classes Resume: Tuesday, January 3
- Easter Break: Monday, April 10 – Monday, April 17
- Last Day of School: Wednesday, June 14
Full school calendar is available here to download.
Employment Openings for 2016-2017
We are accepting applications for the following positions: Lunchroom Supervisor (part-time) and coaches for JV Girls Soccer, JV Boys Soccer, JV Boys Basketball, Varsity Girls Lacrosse, Varsity Girls Softball, and Varsity Boys Softball. Click here for more details and to apply.
Scholastic Chess Tournament
Dr. B and “Your Best Chess” are putting on a Scholastic Chess Tournament on Friday, June 17. All students are welcome—no requirement to be in a current chess class. Check out flyer and sign up fast—only 60 entrants will be accepted and slots are filling quickly! Contact Monika Cohen (3A Teacher/Chess Liaison) for details/questions.
School’s Out, but General Mills Box Tops are IN!
- Keep clipping and saving those box tops over the summer, and turn them in when you head back to school in the fall. Use these activity sheets to help your children save Box Tops for Education! This summer, look for Box Tops products as you prepare for picnics, reunions and celebrations. Tape or glue clipped Box Tops to these collection sheets and send them to school in the fall to get a head start on earning for the school year! We fell a little short of our goal this year. Let’s prepare the next school year for a great start!
- Contest for the Fall: The class with the most Box Tops submitted by the end of September earns a Dress Down Day!
Please contact Jennifer de Vallance with any questions or to help with our fall Box Top clipping and counting drive.
Follow ICS on Social Media – Share your Summer Fun
Did you know that ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn? If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. Also, check out our Alumni group on Facebook. We’d love to hear about your summer adventures!
Vacation Bible School at IBC: June 27-July 1
Mark your calendars for June 27 – July 1 for the week of Vacation Bible School.
- AM Program – 9:30 a.m. – Noon (4 years old by 9/30/16 – entering 3rdgrade)
- PM Program – 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (entering 4th– entering 6th grades)
Registration is now open. $20 per child. Click here to register. Hope to see you there!
FCA Summer Camps
Thanks to scholarships available, FCA Leadership Camp is available for $65 (normally a $200+ value). This camp is for 6-12 graders, and adult coaches, who want to sharpen their Leadership skills in a Christian environment. There are 2 ways for students to sign up. One as Huddle Leaders, meaning they want to lead an FCA student group “huddle” on their campus, or as Team Captains, meaning they want to be a better leader on their sports team. To get the $65 price please sign up by May 20th! Please click here to check out our summer camps!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|