May 26, 2016
May 26, 2016
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
No School Monday, May 30: Happy Memorial Day
Enjoy your day. Classes resume Tuesday, May 31.
Spread the Word About ICS!
If you have a friend who is interested in enrolling their children at ICS for the 2016-2017 school year, now is the time to apply! Please encourage them to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives!
School Calendar for 2016-2017
- First Day of School: Wednesday, August 31, 2016
- Parent Teacher Conferences: Friday, Nov. 11; Mon., Nov. 14 after 1:45 p.m.; & Friday, Nov. 18
- Thanksgiving Break: Wednesday – Friday, November 23-25
- Christmas Program/Grandparents’ Day: Friday, December 16
- Christmas Break: Monday, December 19 – Monday, January 2
- Classes Resume: Tuesday, January 3
- Easter Break: Monday, April 10 – Monday, April 17
- Last Day of School: Wednesday, June 14
Employment Openings for 2016-2017
We are accepting applications for the following positions: Part-time Financial Assistant (Accounts Payable), Lunchroom Supervisor (part-time), Instrumental Band & Percussion (part time) and Strings Instructor (part-time). Click here for more details and to apply.
Retirement Tributes Needed for Mrs. Beall and Mrs. Marsh: Deadline June 1
We will be celebrating the retirements of two of our librarians, Carol Beall and Ann Marsh, in June. We welcome your tributes for their faithful service! Please click here to send your words of appreciation by June 1.
Graduation and Awards – June 14 at 7:15 p.m.
The Graduation and Awards Program is scheduled for Tuesday, June 14, at 7:15 p.m. Students in grades 3-7 should report to their classrooms no later than 7:00 p.m. in order to proceed into the Worship Center as a class.
- Graduating 8th grade students should report to their classrooms no later than 6:30 p.m. Watch for more details concerning graduation in the next newsletter.
- Please Note: Kindergarten-2nd grade students do not participate in graduation; however, they may attend with their parents.
- Graduation dress code: Students are expected to dress up and follow dress code standards detailed in the “Parent Student Handbook.“
Last Fun Lunch: June 1 & Last Smart Lunch: June 3
- Wednesday, June 1 is the last Fun Lunch of the school year. Thank you to Lori Slattery, Fun Lunch Coordinator, for heading up the program. We couldn’t have this program without her and the great help from our volunteer parents!
- Last Smart Lunch is June 3
Last Day of ICS Book Fair Today
Come enjoy a time to “Paws to Read” at the ICS Book Fair. Held in the school library from 8:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Uniform Exchange Ends Tomorrow
The Uniform Exchange is this week in the breezeway. ONLY Lands’ End uniform items will be offered for the Exchange, with the following exception: plaid kilts and jumpers from Flynn & O’Hara.
End of Quarter Verse Recitation - June 2 & 3
- Grades 1-4
- 4th Quarter: Thursday, June 2 (1st try) & Friday, June 3 (retry)
- 1st – 3rd Quarters: Tuesday, June 7 (1st try) & Wednesday, June 8 (retry)
- Upper School: 3rd – 4th Quarters: Thursday, June 2 (1st try) & Friday, June 3 (retry)
100 Verses Recitation
Grades 1 – 8: Monday, June 6 (1st try) & Tuesday, June 7 (retry)
Upper School Exam Schedule
Tuesday, June 7
8:45 – 10:10 a.m.
7th & 8th Grade Language Arts Exams
6th Grade Math Exam
Wednesday, June 8
8:45 – 10:10 a.m.
8th Grade Math Exam
10:20 – 11:45 a.m.
7th Grade Math Exam
10:30 – 12:00 p.m.
8th Grade Graduation Practice
*Please note that June 7 and 8 are 12:00 p.m. dismissal days for all 6th-8th grade students. NO INSIDE HALLWAY PICKUP.
Sports Day and Hot Dog Lunch: June 9 - Parent Help Needed
This is one of the students’ favorite days of the school year! It takes many volunteers to pull together this day of fun, camaraderie and fitness for our students. Help to make this day special.
- Sign up to volunteer: Click here for grades 3-8. Grades 1 & 2 parents, click here.
- For questions contact Lisa Fisher (grades 3-8) or Cindy Wade (grades 1 & 2).
- A hot dog lunch will be served to students, volunteers, siblings, alumni and teachers.
- Help Needed Serving Lunch. Please contact Lori Slattery.
- Volunteers may use this time for Parent Service Hours.
- Faculty vs. 8th grade volleyball game will be in the gym at 1:30 p.m.
We look forward to seeing you June 9!
Alumni Event: Thursday, June 9
ICS Alumni are invited back to campus to join us for lunch starting at 11:45 a.m. and then compete in the annual “Alumni vs. current 8th graders” volleyball game on Sports Day, June 9. Please RSVP here.
2016-2017 School Supply Online Ordering
ICS’s partnership with Cornerstone Office Solutions will continue to provide parents and students with an easy-to-order supply kit for next school year. Each kit includes the required supplies for every grade level. Just place the order online and the kits will be delivered to your child’s classroom in time for the ICS Meet & Greet in August – no need to store supply kits at home over the summer. Best of all, a portion of the purchase price will go to ICS! Flyers will come home with your child this week which will include the specific grade level username and password. Click here to order.
ICS Chick-Fil-A Fundraiser: Tuesday, May 31
Join the ICS family at Chick-Fil-A, Springfield location, Backlick Shopping Center, 6681a Backlick Rd, Springfield, VA 22150. Throughout the day, if you mention ICS during your purchase ICS will receive a portion of the day’s receipts. We look forward to seeing you there!
ICS Basketball Camp – June 20-24
ICS basketball camp will be Monday – Friday, June 20-24. Camp will be held in the ICS Gym from 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Camp is limited to both boys and girls entering 4th – 9th grades. Click here to register.
COST: $200.00 if registered by May 13nd, $225 after that date. Two or more campers per family: $175.00 for each additional camper. A non-refundable $50.00 deposit is due at time of registration and the balance is due the first day of camp. Campers will need to bring a lunch each day.
ICS Spirit Wear now available!
ICS Spirit Wear now available through My Locker! Click here to access our “locker” (locker door number is ar202). Use the promo code (W5BPK7TJ) at check out to receive $10 off through June 11, 2016. ICS Spirit Wear is not part of the school uniform, but it may be worn on dress down days and outside during recess.
Note from Clinic: Pick Up Medications
Please remember to pick up all medications you have had on file in the clinic. All medications must be picked up no later than Wednesday, June 15 or they will be discarded.
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing him/her directly. Tutors are listed by experience.
- Kate Alvarado: Grades 5-8th: Science & Math. K8alvarado@gmail.com (970)227-3964
- Sarah Calhoun: Grades K-8, Math/Reading/Language Arts, email@example.com
- Donna Christophersen: Grades 6-12, Math through Pre-Calculus, firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.405.8331
- Danielle Gleason: Grades K-3, Math, Reading, and Language Arts, email@example.com
- Lindsey Hardenbergh: Grades 6-12, English and Spanish, Lahardenberg@fcps.edu or 571.265.9203
- Kathy Holley (background in Learning Disabilities): Language Arts through 8th grade & Math through 5th grade, firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.371.8447
- Calla Nyboer: 3-6th Math, L.A., Social Studies, email@example.com
Scholastic Chess Tournament
Dr. B and “Your Best Chess” are putting on a Scholastic Chess Tournament on Friday, June 17. All students are welcome—no requirement to be in a current chess class. Check out flyer to see details and sign up here—only 60 entrants will be accepted and slots are filling quickly! Contact Monika Cohen (3A Teacher/Chess Liaison) for details/questions.
Vacation Bible School at IBC: June 27-July 1
Mark your calendars for June 27 – July 1 for the week of Vacation Bible School.
- AM Program – 9:30 a.m. – Noon (4 years old by 9/30/16 – entering 3rdgrade)
- PM Program – 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (entering 4th– entering 6th grades)
Registration is now open. $20 per child. Click here to register. Hope to see you there!
FCA Summer Camps
Thanks to scholarships available, FCA Leadership Camp is available for $65 (normally a $200+ value). This camp is for 6-12 graders, and adult coaches, who want to sharpen their Leadership skills in a Christian environment. There are 2 ways for students to sign up. One as Huddle Leaders, meaning they want to lead an FCA student group “huddle” on their campus, or as Team Captains, meaning they want to be a better leader on their sports team. To get the $65 price please sign up by May 20th! Please click here to check out our summer camps!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|