September 17, 2015
September 17, 2015
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
All-School Dress Down Day Tomorrow!
Please wear picnic friendly attire! Jeans are permitted.
Back to School Picnic Re-scheduled for Tomorrow, Sept. 18. Picnic and movie!
ICS’s 20th Annual Back to School Picnic will be held Friday, September 18, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 8:00 – 9:30 p.m. (outdoor movie). During the picnic, vendors will be offering parents the opportunity to shop for crafts, scrap booking items, jewelry, services, etc. Click here to read more information.
Bike Donations for Nicaragua - Bring to ICS Picnic
Bike donations will still be accepted this Friday, September 18 from 6pm -8pm at the ICS Picnic!
Immanuel Bible Church collected 126 bikes this past weekend! Let’s see how many more bikes ICS can add to the total this Friday!
For more information on Nicabikes please click on the following links.
Back to School Nights: Mark your calendars!
Educational Resources: Thursday, September 17, 7:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Lower School (Grades K-4): Tuesday, September 22, 7:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Back-to-School Night is an opportunity to:
- Learn about expectations for the year from your child’s teacher
- Meet class Parent Service Team members and learn about volunteer opportunities
- Meet the parents of your child’s classmates
- Due to space limitations, this is for parents only
See You at The Pole for Grades 5-8/Wednesday, Sept. 23
Upper School students (grades 5-8) are invited to participate in SEE YOU AT THE POLE on Wednesday, September 23 at 7:45 a.m. We will gather on the sidewalk next to the ICS flagpole near the main school entrance.
All around the globe, in every time zone, students will be gathering at their flagpoles, praying for their school, communities and nation. SEE YOU AT THE POLE is a day committed to global unity in Christ and prayer for your generation. We hope you will join us!
First Look Friday Open Houses
We have eight First Look Fridays scheduled this school year. Help us spread the word about ICS by inviting friends, coworkers and acquaintances to visit ICS for a tour and to hear more about our mission to inspire students for purposeful lives! The 1st First Look Friday of the year is October 23. Click here for more information and to RSVP. Questions? Contact the Advancement Team.
ICS Family Night at Nats Park – Saturday, September 26. Order Now!
Come join the ICS family to watch the Washington Nationals play baseball against the Philadelphia Phillies at Nats Park on Saturday, September 26th at 4:05 p.m. We have reserved seats in sections 303/304. Tickets are $26 each. This fun night is designed for parents to take their son/daughter to the event. We will all meet at Nats Park and have a great time cheering on the Nats. Please place your order and pay for your tickets at the school office. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Pinkley. All ticket orders must be received by Friday, September 18. Order your tickets today!
Serve-A-Thon 2015 Kick Off
We are excited to kick off the annual “season of service” with our ICS family! Serve-A-Thon information was given to parents at the Upper School Back to School night on Tuesday and Lower School parents will receive their packet at their Back to School night next Tuesday. Here’s what you can do to help Serve-A-Thon be successful:
- Mark your calendars for Serve-A-Thon service month: October 5-23. Click here for the service schedule.
- Sign up to help!! Join us in community service by working with your student as they complete their class service project. You can sign up through your child’s class “SignUpGenius” page.
- Contact friends and family. Search for your team (class) here and email your team fundraising page or mail postcards and raise support for students as they serve in the community. Additional postcards are available in the school office.
- Donate online or mail donations to the school office. Last day for donations to count towards team prizes is Friday, November 6.
- Click here for more information about Serve-A-Thon 2015.
The ICS carpool runs for 20 minutes at the end of each school day. (Mondays 1:30 – 1:50 p.m., Tuesdays – Fridays, 3:15 -3:35 p.m.) It is very important that all students are picked up by the end of this time period. We appreciate the promptness that many of you have shown in picking up your students on time. Also, please remember to have your carpool number visible on your front passenger visor until your student(s) are in your car so we can call your carpool number in a timely manner.
Fun Lunch Begins Next Week
The first Fun Lunch begins Wednesday, September 23. Only those who have pre-ordered will receive a Fun Lunch. Contact Lori Slattery, Fun Lunch Coordinator, or call 703.338.8828 if you have questions.
Long-Term Recess Supervisor Substitute Needed
ICS is currently seeking an interim Recess Supervisor. The Recess Supervisor is responsible for establishing and maintaining a safe and positive play environment for ICS students, grades 1-8. Applicants must be able to handle disciplinary situations appropriately, direct parent volunteers capably, and communicate with school faculty and administration effectively. Candidates must be available to work 11:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. For an application, please go to our website and apply on-line. For more information about the position or salary, please contact Dale Pinkley, Assistant Head of School.
Free Money Programs: Help ICS - It's time to Designate ICS for Grocery Stores
Every year you can designate ICS with your grocery store’s Bonus Club/Discount Card program. Giant and Safeway stores (and others) will donate part of your store purchase if you designate ICS as your fundraising choice by adding our school code to your shopping card. Information is listed below for easy access to store websites:
- Giant Bonus Card: Sign up at any Giant store or by going to www.giantfood.com/aplus. Our school code is 02077. Credit for your purchases made between October and April goes directly to ICS. Please renew now to avoid a lapse in participation.
- Safeway Club Card: In order to participate using your Safeway Club Card, you must designate your donation to ICS each year by using Safeway’s website www.escrip.com. The ICS identification number is 6518952.
- Harris Teeter: As you check out, ask the cashier to link your VIC card to our school or register online at www.harristeeter.com. Our school ID number is 5117.
- Target: Using your Target Visa or Red Card, you can designate ICS as your school of choice. Our school ID is 23735.
- Office Depot: Use the ICS school code 70104941 at check out to donate.
Combined Federal Campaign
In addition to the programs above, federal employees can contribute to ICS through payroll deductions using ID #74453.
ICS's 40th Anniversary Gala and Auction Needs Your Help! Meeting Sept. 23
Come join our team! The Advancement Team is gearing up to plan Immanuel’s 40th Anniversary Gala and Auction celebration on Saturday evening, April 16. Can you help? We need all kinds of talented event volunteers to join our growing team. Please come for coffee in the library Wednesday morning, September 23 at 8:30 a.m. For more information, contact Allison Masson.
Website Calendar: New Filters NOW AVAILABLE
You can now filter the website calendar to customize it for grade level events for the students in your family.
- Go to the “Categories” in the top left corner of the calendar
- Select “All School”
- Select additional calendars for the grade levels you desire
- Include the more general events in which you are interested such as Dress Down Days, After School Events, Chapel, Athletics, etc.
- When you return to the website from your device the same selections should still be seen
- If you download and sync the calendar to your Outlook or Gmail or other electronic calendar, you will need to re-subscribe
- Go to the bottom right to the “Subscribe” button and follow the instructions
- Once you subscribe, the filtering option will not be available
Parents in Prayer Ministry
You are invited to join other parents every Tuesday morning from 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. in Room B201 to pray for our students, teachers and staff.
- This is a vital ministry that benefits all of us here at ICS. Our ICS Prayer Guide is sent to every family via email, approximately every 3 weeks during the school year. Please take advantage of this guide and pray for the needs that are outlined there, even if you cannot come to Parents in Prayer each week.
- We also encourage you to share your prayer requests with us. Your requests are shared with the coordinator of our Parents in Prayer Ministry and the coordinator on staff who manages our monthly Prayer Guide. You will have the option of indicating if you would like your requests to remain confidential. Click here to send a request. Contact Mary Sue Smith if you have any questions.
Bonus Verse Wristband Replacements — Now Only $1.00
There is one free wristband for every ICS student who memorizes and recites a Bonus Verse to Mr. Danish. After the initial free wristband, lost or broken wristbands can be replaced for $1 at the school office. Students needing a wristband replacement should bring exact change to the office, and must be able to recite the verse in order to purchase a replacement.
We Collect Box Tops
Bring your Box Tops in a Ziploc bag labeled with your child(s) name and grade to Reception and make sure you check the dates on the Box Tops as expired dates will not be counted in the totals. Remember to sign up and support ICS here. Once you register, you will have access to coupons for box top products and have the opportunity to play fun games and earn eBox Tops for our school. If you have questions, please contact our coordinator, Jennifer deVallance.
Immanuel Christian School is accepting applications for substitute teachers (a bachelor’s degree is required). Find the application here. Please send your cover letter, resume and application to Eleane McCoy, Lower School Principal (K-Grade 4) or Erin Smith, Upper School Principal (Grades 5-8).
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Follow ICS on Social Media
ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn! If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. Also, check out our Alumni group on Facebook. We’d love to hear from you!
Lunch and Recess Help Needed
Parent volunteers are needed to help in the lunch room and at recess from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily (K-4: 11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m. and grades 5-8: 12:45 p.m. -1:30 p.m.). While you help, you can eat lunch with your child, see them interact at recess, and get to know fellow parents and your child’s classmates. We are in need of regular volunteers to help one day a week or every other week. Your help gives our teachers a little break in the middle of their day to enjoy their lunch. To help with lunch, contact Daniel Padilla, Lunchroom Coordinator and to help with recess contact Dale Pinkley.
Trail Life USA
Trail Life is a Christian outdoor adventure program for young men ages 5 to 18 that strives to guide generations of courageous young me to honor God, lead with integrity, serve others and experience outdoor adventure. Please join us for weekly troop meetings on Mondays from 7:00-8:15 p.m. in the IBC Gymnasium. Through adventure and character and leadership development, this exciting program centers on outdoor experiences that build a young man’s skills and allow him to grow on a personal level and as a role model and leader for his peers. The biblically based, Christ-centered program was officially established on January 1, 2014, and IBC sponsors Troop VA-1115. Our troop currently has over 60 members, so please come and see what we are all about! For more information, check out our web page at
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|