Back-to-School Edition: September 3, 2015
Back-to-School Edition: September 3, 2015
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
Welcome Back - Have a GREAT First Week of School
We hope you enjoyed the summer and are ready for the 2015-2016 school year. We welcome new families, as well as our returning families, new faculty and staff. It was great to see parents and students at the Meet ‘n’ Greet Monday evening. Don’t forget this weekend is a long weekend for Labor Day. NO SCHOOL Monday, September 7.
Back-to-School Nights: Mark your calendars!
Upper School (Grades 5-8): Tuesday, September 15, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Educational Resources: Thursday, September 17, 7:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Lower School (Grades K-4): Tuesday, September 22, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Back-to-School Night is an opportunity to:
- Learn about expectations for the year from your child’s teacher
- Meet class Parent Service Team members and learn about volunteer opportunities
- Meet the parents of your child’s classmates
- Due to space limitations, this is for parents only.
RSVP for the Back-To-School Picnic 2015: Saturday, September 12
ICS’s 20th Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Saturday, September 12, from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie). During the picnic, vendors will be offering parents the opportunity to shop for crafts, scrap booking items, jewelry, services, etc. Donate your used bikes and help others! Click here to read more information and to RSVP. Rain Date is Friday, September 18.
Attention Crafters and Home Businesses
Here’s your chance to get the word out about your business and sell your products at the ICS Annual Back-to-School Picnic on Saturday, September 12, from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Click here to complete the online application and pay the vendor fee of $25. Contact Laura Tweed for questions. The deadline to reserve your spot is tomorrow! Don’t miss out to reserve your space!
Fall Uniform Giveaway
The Fall Uniform Giveaway will be held at the Back-to-School Picnic on Saturday, September 12. Please bring in your used Lands’ End uniforms that are in very good condition to the glass breezeway of the school, beginning Tuesday, September 8, continuing through Friday, September 11. ONLY Lands’ End items will be accepted. We will have a limit on the number of items per family that can be taken, but all items will be FREE! If you have questions, please contact Mary Sue Smith.
Wednesday Fun Lunch: Sign-Up by September 14th
First Semester Dates: September 23, 2015 – January 27, 2016
We serve Fun Lunch on Wednesdays during the school year starting September 23, 2015. Subway, Malek’s Pasta, Domino’s Pizza and Chick-Fil-A are brought in on a rotating basis. You have the flexibility to choose any or all meals, for each student, a semester at a time (NO weekly ordering). The first semester of meals must be pre-ordered online and paid for by September 14th. To sign-up click the link here which will take you to the Fun Lunch ordering site.
Fun Lunch Help Needed: Servers and Shoppers
Servers Needed: We are in need of 5 to 6 parents to serve Fun Lunch each week. It is a once a month commitment for about 2 ½ hours on Wednesdays between 11:15 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. It is a great way to satisfy your parent service hours. It is always a blessing to serve the ICS students, work as a team and fellowship with other parents. We’ll even treat you to lunch!
Shoppers Needed: We also need several shoppers this year. The duties include shopping for water bottles, snacks and other assorted items at Costco. Again, this is a once-a-month commitment with the added flexibility of shopping and delivering the goods to the Terrace Room (lunch room) during school hours. It is a great way to satisfy those parent service hours.
If you are interested in any of these opportunities to serve, please contact Lori Slattery or call her cell at 703.338.8828.
Smart Lunch: 5-Day Healthy and Flexible Lunch Option
ICS partners with Smart Lunches © to offer fresh and healthy lunch options, delivered daily for your convenience. You have the flexibility to choose how often you wish to order! Several hot or cold choices, as well as drinks and snacks are available. Fall ordering is now open! Deliveries start Tuesday, September 8th. Click here for more details and to order. Bonus: If you order by September 7 you will be entered to win $40 in free lunches!
Fall Picture Day
Splendid Portraits will be taking photographs of all ICS students and staff on Thursday, September 17. Wear your dress-up clothes (follow ICS dress code). No jeans are allowed on this day. These will be your yearbook pictures. Your student will bring home the picture order form this week. Separate order forms and checks are needed for each student, or you may pay with a credit card online before Picture Day (instructions are on the Splendid Order Form). Please turn in picture order forms and payment to your child’s homeroom teacher on or before Picture Day. A few parent volunteers are needed to help that day. Please contact Mary Sue Smith if you can help.
Parents in Prayer Ministry
You are invited to join other parents every Tuesday morning from 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. in Room B201 to pray for our students, teachers, and staff.
- This is a vital ministry that benefits all of us here at ICS. Our ICS Prayer Guide is sent to every family via email, approximately every 3 weeks during the school year. Please take advantage of this guide and pray for the needs that are outlined there, even if you cannot come to Parents in Prayer each week.
- We also encourage you to share your prayer requests with us. Your requests are shared with the coordinator of our Parents in Prayer Ministry and the coordinator on staff who manages our monthly Prayer Guide. You will have the option of indicating if you would like your requests to remain confidential. Click here to send a request. Contact Mary Sue Smith if you have any questions.
We Want Your First Day Photos
Upload your first day of school photos to our social media sites: www.Facebook.com/icsva and @icsva on Instagram. Remember to tag #b2sicsva.
New Website Calendar Filters NOW AVAILABLE
- You can now filter the website calendar to customize it for the grade level events for the students in your family.
- Go to the Categories in the top left corner of the calendar
- Select All School
- Hold down the Control Key to select additional calendars for the grade levels you desire
- Include the more general events in which you are interested such as Dress Down Days, After School Events, Chapel, Athletics, etc.
- When you return to the website from your device the same selections should still be seen
- If you download and synch the calendar to your Outlook or Gmail or other electronic calendar, you will need to re-subscribe
- Go to the bottom right to the Subscribe button and follow the instructions there
- Once you subscribe, the filtering option will not be available
Position Available: Upper School Math & Science Teaching Assistant (TA)
The Upper School Math & Science TA position is to support the Upper School Math and Science teachers. With the teachers, the TA will seek to promote classroom environments that encourage students’ academic growth and spiritual maturity. Daily responsibilities of the Math & Science TA may include assisting students in small groups, grading assignments, making copies of class materials, and helping teachers set up lab experiments. This 25-hour per week part-time position also qualifies for ICS student tuition discount. If you are interested, please fill out the application for Teaching Assistants found here. Please send your cover letter, resume and application to the Upper School Principal, Erin Smith.
ICS Family Night at Nats Park – Saturday, September 26
Come join the ICS family to watch the Washington Nationals play baseball against the Philadelphia Phillies at Nats Park on Saturday, September 26th at 4:05 p.m. We have reserved seats in sections 303/304. Tickets are $26 each. This fun night is designed for parents to take their son/daughter to the event. We will all meet at Nats Park and have a great time cheering on the Nats. Please place your order and pay for your tickets at the school office. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Pinkley. All ticket orders must be received by Friday, September 11. GO NATS! Order your tickets today!
Orchestra and Private Music Lesson News
Orchestra classes begin the week of September 14 before school at 8:00 a.m. on the following days:
- Beginning Strings: Monday and Tuesdays in the Prayer Room. Sarah Layman, Teacher
- Beginning Flute, Clarinet and Saxophone: Monday & Wednesday in the Worship Center. Sue Agazzi, Teacher
- Beginning Trumpet, Trombone and Euphonium: Monday & Wednesday in the Seminar Room. Dana Landis, Teacher
- Concert & Symphonic Orchestra Ensemble: Tuesday and Thursday in the Worship Center. Sue Agazzi, Teacher
- Symphonic Orchestra only: Friday in Seminar Room. Sue Agazzi, Teacher
Mrs. Agazzi will meet students in the gym the first week of class (use Entrance 8 behind the gym for drop-off.) To register, please use the Orchestra Web Form on ParentsWeb.
(Instrumental Web Forms: Even if you already have a private lesson arranged, please complete the form for our records.)
For more information, contact Sue Agazzi.
Use these web forms for Orchestra/Band Lessons:
- 2015-2016 Orchestra and Band Pre-Registration
- 2015-2016 Private Music Lesson Pre-Registration
School Uniforms: Order at Lands' End (#900143637)
Lands’ End is our official school uniform provider. Please check the School Uniform List before purchasing new items for the 2015-2016 school year. For any NEW uniform needs, purchase from Lands’ End, either online or from any Sears Store that carries Lands’ End clothing. To order click here.
Uniform Changes and Updates for 2015-16 School Year
- Upper School Girls (grades 5-8): We have added new skirt and skort options to our LANDS’ END School Uniform website. These new options have been enthusiastically endorsed by a group of our upper school girls! The kilt from LANDS’ END has been discontinued, but existing kilts from both LANDS’ END and Flynn & O’Hara will be allowed for grades 5-8.
- Lower School Girls (grades 1-4): There is a new knit jumper offered in Classic Navy. Our current plaid and navy jumper drop-waist options will continue to be available.
General Reminders: We have these rules set up for the safety of our students. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Carpool drop-off and pick-up will take place at Entrance #3.
- Enter and exit the campus with a right turn. Carpools should enter and leave heading either northbound on Backlick or eastbound on Braddock.
- Students should enter and exit the vehicle from the passenger side only.
- Please refrain from cell phone use during carpool. We need your full attention!
- If you need to pick up your student for an appointment, please do so BEFORE 3:00 p.m. After 3:00 p.m. students will be dismissed at regular time.
- See Carpool Map here.
Morning Drop-Off Reminders:
- Students must enter through the Entrance 3 Glass Breezeway (not the Braddock Road entrance) and go directly to the gym.
- Extended Care students and siblings (and other morning activities, i.e. orchestra and math) will enter through Entrance 8 – directly into the gym.
- Please give yourself enough margin in the morning to allow for delays. You may drop off no earlier than 8:00 a.m. (unless enrolled in Extended Care). School starts promptly at 8:20 a.m., so please plan on arriving by 8:15 a.m.
- Please remember to drive slowly and do not pass other vehicles during carpool.
Afternoon Pick-Up Reminders:
- Every family will have their own carpool number. Each family will get 4 large numbers (to be used in cars) and business card numbers (to be used inside in Narthex for walk in pick-up).
- Please remember your carpool number and have it visible on your passenger-side visor. The numbers will be issued the first day of school. Students will be dismissed by name the first day of school.
- Those wishing to walk inside to pick up their carpool must park and enter through the Braddock Road church entrance (Entrance #1) and wait in the Narthex. Please bring your carpool number to show ICS staff.
- Please follow the directions and instructions of the faculty members on duty.
- Pick up students by 3:30 p.m.
Clinic Medication Policies
The school nurse stocks the following over the counter medications in the school clinic:
- Acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) Ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin or Advil)
- Antibiotic Ointment for cuts (e.g. Neosporin)
- Hydrocortisone Cream (for minor rash/bug bites)
- Antacids (e.g. Tums)
- Cough Drops (non-medicated)
THESE MEDICATIONS CAN ONLY BE ADMINSITERED BY A SCHOOL NURSE and ONLY IF A PARENT HAS APPROVED THE ADMINISTRATION OF EACH MEDICATION IN ADVANCE.
You may approve these medications by checking “Yes” in the appropriate area of the Emergency Care & Medical Information Form. This form can be found on ParentsWeb by choosing
Web Forms, Back to School Updates and Authorizations, and Student Medical Information near the bottom of the page. Parents are notified by the school nurse via email or phone when medicine has been dispensed. Students may not have any medicine in their possession while at school except in the case of Emergency medication, in which case physician approval to self-carry is required. Please refer to the Parent-Student Handbook (found on the ICS website and ParentsWeb), or contact the school nurse for policies, instructions and authorization forms for other medications. Please contact Cindy Houttekier, RN or Susan Colletti, RN at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Extended Care available for Teacher Workdays and Parent-Teacher Conference days!
The Extended Care Program offers care for students on Teacher Workdays and Parent-Teacher Conference days from 8:00-4:00 p.m. Registration is on a first come, first served basis as space is limited. The contract is available on our website here. If interested, please fill out the contract and return to Allison Masson.
Fall 2015 After School Club Information
We are excited to offer After School Clubs again this year! Fall 2015 clubs will include Choir Club, Chess Club, Art Club, Dance Club, Chinese Club, Lego Club, Martial Arts, Percussion Ensemble and others are under consideration. Students love this after school fun with their friends and parents love the convenience of classes being offered right here at ICS. No extra driving required! Please click here to see the ICS website for registration information and fees for all classes.
ICS Children’s Choir
ICS Children’s Choir will begin Monday, September 14 at 1:30pm. All 3rd, 4th and 5th graders are invited to participate. No special talents or abilities are required. This fall’s program is entitled “ Jonah’s Druthers” a musical interpretation of the story of Jonah and the whale done in the “ Old, Old West”. The music is fun and the story line meaningful. Please check the After-School Programs on line for fee, schedule and registration. Hope to see y’all there!
Rocketry Club Mentor Needed
We are seeking an additional parent mentor with experience in building and flying model rockets, who could commit to meeting with Rocketry Club twice a month on Monday afternoons between October and April to guide and instruct students in the planning, simulation and building of a model rocket. Interested parents should also be available on the Saturdays in January-April when the club will fly their rockets at Great Meadows Park. This is part of Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC). If you would like to help students learn the exciting math, science and problem solving involved in rocketry, or would like more information on the program, please contact Mrs. Crabtree, the faculty advisor for Rocketry.
- Parent Teacher Conferences: November 4-6 (Wednesday – Friday)
- Thanksgiving Break: November 25-27 (Wednesday – Friday)
- Christmas Program/Grandparents’ Day: December 18 (Friday)
- Christmas Break: December 21-January 1
- Classes Resume: January 4 (Monday)
- Easter Break: March 21-28
- Classes Resume: March 29 (Tuesday)
- Last Day of School: June 15 (Wednesday)
Click here for the complete 2015-2016 calendar.
Fall Soccer Tryouts and Cross-Country Begins
- Soccer: Tryouts for JV Girls and JV Boys (5th & 6th grade) are Tuesday and Wednesday, September 8 and 9. Tryouts for the Varsity Girls and Varsity Boys (7th & 8th grade)are Thursday and Friday, September 10 and 11. All students will meet in the gym at 3:15 p.m. and be picked up on the soccer field at 5:00 p.m.
- Cross-Country: The cross-country team starts on Tuesday, September 8, and will meet in the gym at 3:15 p.m. and be picked up at 4:30 p.m. at the picnic tables next to the soccer field.
- All sports require a signed “Intent to Participate” Form and a signed Concussion Form which can be retrieved from the ICS website or in hard copy from the information rack located outside the main office. A copy of the fall sports schedule may also be pulled from the website or on the back of the hard copy “Intent to Participate” forms. These forms must be turned in to the Upper School Office (Room B211) by Friday, September 4th.
We Collect Box Tops
Bring your Box Tops in a Ziploc bag labeled with your child(s) name and grade to Reception and make sure you check the dates on the Box Tops as expired dates will not be counted in the totals. Remember to sign up and support ICS here. Once you register, you will have access to coupons for box top products and have the opportunity to play fun games and earn eBox Tops for our school. If you have questions, please contact our coordinator, Jennifer deVallance.
Immanuel Christian School is accepting applications for substitute teachers (a bachelor’s degree is required). Find the application here. Please send your cover letter, resume and application to Eleane McCoy, Lower School Principal (K-Grade 4) or Erin Smith, Upper School Principal (Grades 5-8).
Trail Life USA!
Trail Life is a Christian outdoor adventure program for young men ages 5 to 18 that strives to guide generations of courageous young me to honor God, lead with integrity, serve others, and experience outdoor adventure. Please join us for our first weekly troop meeting of the fall on Monday, September 14th from 7:00-8:15 p.m. in the IBC Gymnasium. Through adventure and character and leadership development, this exciting program centers on outdoor experiences that build a young man’s skills and allow him to grow on a personal level and as a role model and leader for his peers. The biblically based, Christ-centered program was officially established on January 1, 2014, and IBC sponsors Troop VA-1115. Our troop currently has over 60 members, so please come and see what we are all about! For more information, check out our web page or send email.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Follow ICS on Social Media
ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn! If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. Also, check out our Alumni group on Facebook. We’d love to hear from you!
Women’s Bible Studies at Immanuel Bible Church
Women of Immanuel desire to live by God’s Word. We can only do this if we know God’s Word. Immanuel offers a variety of women’s Bible study groups during the week that offer a place to study His Word together with a group of friends willing to encourage and support one another. Bible study groups will start the week of September 7 and meet right here at Immanuel, as well as in homes in the community. There are both morning and evening groups with childcare available for most groups that meet at Immanuel. Whether or not you call Immanuel Bible Church your home church, we would love to have you join us. To find out more about the many Bible study choices available and to register, click here. Come be a part of Women’s Bible Study group this Fall.
MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) at Immanuel Bible Church
Our first MOPS meeting will be on Monday, September 14, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. in Room A207. MOPS is for moms with kids from pregnancy through kindergarten who want to encourage, nurture, and refresh one another. We hope you’ll join us. More information found here.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|