Summer Edition: August 13, 2015
Summer Edition: August 13, 2015
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
See You on Campus in a Few Weeks
With the beginning of school three weeks away, we hope you are enjoying the remainder of the summer. Teachers and summer staff have been busy preparing for the new school year, and staff will be here soon for several days of training and planning. Please pray for our teachers and staff as they prepare for the new school year. The ICS Team is praying for you, the parents and students, as we enter this new school year.
First Day of School for 2015-2016: Wed., Sept. 2, 8:20 a.m.
We will begin the school year at 8:20 a.m. on Wednesday, September 2 with an assembly in the Worship Center. Please do not go to the classrooms first. Parents are welcome to attend the assembly. The first day of school will end at 1:30 p.m. for all students. Students will need to bring a lunch. We are looking forward to a great day and a great school year.
Mark Your Calendars for Upcoming Back-to-School Events
- Meet ‘n’ Greet: (K – 8th grades): Monday, August 31 from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. Bring school supplies and meet your child’s teacher.
- All 6th Grade and New 7th & 8th Grade Student/Parent Orientation: Monday, August 31. Students: 7:00 – 8:15 p.m. (Go to homeroom classroom prior to 6:30 p.m.) and parents 7:00 – 8:15 p.m.
- New Parent Orientation: Wednesday, September 2, 8:45 – 9:15 a.m.
- Information Fair: Wednesday, September 2, 8:45 a.m. in the Atrium
- Back-to-School Picnic: Saturday, September 12. Picnic – 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. & Movie – 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Class Assignments 2015-2016
Class assignments for the school year have not been finalized yet. The admission process for new students continues throughout the summer and will affect the final placement lists. Back-to-School Forms, available on ParentsWeb, must be completed before you receive your child’s class assignment. You will be notified by email of your child’s class assignment.
Wednesday Fun Lunch: Sign-Up by September 14th
We serve Fun Lunch on Wednesdays during the school year starting September 23, 2015. Subway, Malek’s Pasta, Domino’s Pizza, and Chick-Fil-A are brought in on a rotating basis. You have the flexibility to choose any or all meals, for each student, a semester at a time (NO weekly ordering). The first semester of meals must be pre-ordered online and paid for by September 14th. To sign-up click the link here which will take you to the Fun Lunch ordering site. First Semester Dates: September 23, 2015 – January 27, 2016
Smart Lunch: 5-Day Healthy and Flexible Lunch Option
ICS partners with Smart Lunches © to offer fresh and healthy lunch options, delivered daily for your convenience. You have the flexibility to choose how often you wish to order! Several hot or cold choices, as well as drinks and snacks are available. Fall ordering now open! Deliveries start Tuesday, September 8th. Click here for more details and to order.
Important Information for New Families
Welcome to ICS! In order to be ready for the start of school, please complete the following tasks:
- Submit all 2014-2015 report cards and testing results.
- Summer reading is required for grades 1-8. The required books are available in the school office for grades 3-8. See Summer Reading List. Other books should be obtained elsewhere or borrowed at a local library.
- New students in 7th & 8th grades, pick up a Spanish study packet in the office.
- ParentsWeb is the parent portal to the ICS database. Here you will be able to access directories, forms, update information, etc. Be sure to set up your ParentsWeb account and password now so that you can complete the Web Forms online prior to the beginning of school. Our District Code is ics-va.
NEW Forms to be completed for ALL FAMILIES
Please complete the following Web Forms on ParentsWeb. Be sure to click SAVE at the end of each form. Please update grandparent information, which will be used for our Grandparents’ Day program in December. These forms are required to be completed BEFORE you receive your student’s class assignment.
- Update Parent Information as needed.
- Update Parent Alert Preferences
- Sign Parent Agreement (Annually)*
- Sign Responsible Use Policy (Annually)*
- Update Emergency Contact Information*
- Student Medical Information*
- Field Trip Authorization* (Annually)
- Email Address for Upper School Students
- T-shirt size needed
*Indicates forms which must be completed before you receive your child’s class assignment.
Also, fill out the following Web Forms if applicable:
- 2015-2016 Carpool Registration (Update annually ONLY if you are in a carpool with another family)
- 2015-2016 Volunteer Driver Application (MUST be updated annually) Note: For individuals other than parents, hard copies are available in Reception or on the school website under Resource Documents.
- Orchestra and Music Lessons (see below)
View or download any of the following documents also found under Resource Documents on ParentsWeb or the school website under the Parent > Resource Documents:
- 2015-2016 School Calendar
- Supply Lists:
- Lower School (1-4)
- Upper School (5-8)
- School Uniform List (Grades 1-8)
- Summer Reading List (Grades 1-8)
- 2015-2016 Zip Code List (ParentsWeb only)
- Medical Forms for Daily Medication and Care Plans
BIG Update and changes for the Orchestra Program
Sue Agazzi, our NEW Orchestra Director, is offering a BIGGER instruction program by having students meet 2-3 times a week depending on the program. Students will have twice the opportunity to learn basic foundations of music with greater results for performance skills. Percussion is a new option too! To register, please complete the Web Form on ParentsWeb. Private lesson registration is also available there now.
Beginning Woodwinds/Strings/Brass – 2 days a week: $325
Concert (Intermediate and Strings) – 2 days a week: $325
Symphonic (Advanced) – 3 days a week: $450
Percussion Ensemble – 1 day a week: $200
Instrumental Web Forms: Even if you already have a private lesson arranged, please complete the form for our records.
- 2015-2016 Orchestra and Band Pre-Registration
- 2015-2016 Private Music Lesson Pre-Registration
Directory in ParentsWeb Unavailable for the Summer
The online directory feature in ParentsWeb will not be available during the summer. However there is a copy of the directory with all phone numbers and email addresses on ParentsWeb under Resource Documents. Please contact the school office if you are unable to find what you need.
Immunizations – Rising 6th Graders and New Families
- Rising 6th Graders: Virginia immunization requirements state that all rising 6th graders are required to submit documentation that a tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) booster was administered after 2009. This documentation is required for your child to start the 2015-16 school year, and must be turned in to the school office immediately.
- New Families: Please remember to turn in your child’s physical and immunization record to the office by tomorrow, August 14th.
Back-To-School Picnic 2015 on September 12
ICS’s 20th Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Saturday, September 12, from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie). During the picnic, vendors will be offering parents the opportunity to shop for crafts, scrap booking items, jewelry, services, etc. Mark your calendar and plan on attending this year’s picnic. Note: Our Rain Date is Friday, September 18.
Attention Crafters and Home Businesses
Here’s your chance to get the word out about your business and sell your products at ICS annual Back-to-School Picnic on Saturday, September 12, from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Click here to complete the online application and pay the vendor fee of $25. Contact Laura Tweed for questions. Hurry…first come, first served for vendor selection. Don’t miss out to reserve your space!
School Uniforms: Order at Lands' End (#900143637)
Lands’ End is our official school uniform provider. Please check the School Uniform List before purchasing new items for the 2015-2016 school year. For any NEW uniform needs, purchase from Lands’ End, either online or from any Sears Store that carries Lands’ End clothing. To order click here.
Need help with the sizing of your student’s uniform. See here.
Uniform Changes and Updates for 2015-16 School Year
- Upper School Girls (grades 5-8): We have added new skirt and skort options to our LANDS’ END School Uniform website. These new options have been enthusiastically endorsed by a group of our middle school girls! The current kilt from LANDS’ END has been discontinued, but existing kilts from both LANDS’ END and Flynn & O’Hara will be allowed for grades 5-8.
- Lower School Girls (grades 1-4): There will be a new knit jumper offered in Classic Navy. Our current plaid and navy jumper drop-waist options will continue to be available.
Fall Uniform Exchange
Parents, if you missed our Spring Used Uniform Exchange recently, please save your used Lands’ End uniforms for the Exchange at the Back-to-School Picnic, which is Saturday, September 12. You will be able to bring them to Reception a few days before the Picnic.
Please complete the carpool Web Form by August 15 ONLY IF YOU ARE IN A CARPOOL WITH ANOTHER FAMILY to aid us with setting up the dismissal procedures. Each family will have their own number, but it is helpful for us to know who you are carpooling with.
General Reminders: We have these rules set up for the safety of our students. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Carpool drop-off and pick-up will take place at Entrance #3.
- Enter and exit the campus with a right turn. Carpools should enter and leave heading either northbound on Backlick or eastbound on Braddock.
- Students should enter and exit the vehicle from the passenger side only.
- Please refrain from cell phone use during carpool. We need your full attention!
- If you need to pick up your student for an appointment, please do so BEFORE 3:00 p.m. After 3:00 p.m. students will be dismissed at regular time.
- See Carpool Map here.
Morning Drop-Off Reminders:
- Students must enter through the Entrance 3 Glass Breezeway (not the Braddock Road entrance) and go directly to the gym.
- Extended Care students and siblings (and other morning activities, i.e. orchestra and math) will enter through Entrance 8 – directly into the gym.
- Please give yourself enough margin in the morning to allow for delays. You may drop off no earlier than 8:00 a.m. (unless enrolled in Extended Care). School starts promptly at 8:20 a.m., so please plan on arriving by 8:15 a.m.
- Please remember to drive slowly and do not pass other vehicles during carpool.
Afternoon Pick-Up Reminders:
- Every family will have their own carpool number. Each family will get 4 large numbers (to be used in cars) and business card numbers (to be used inside in Narthex for walk in pick-up).
- Please remember your carpool number and have it visible on your passenger-side visor. The numbers will be issued the first day of school. Students will be dismissed by name the first day of school.
- Those wishing to walk inside to pick up their carpool must park and enter through the Braddock Road church entrance (Entrance #1) and wait in the Narthex. Please bring your carpool number to show ICS staff.
- Please follow the directions and instructions of the faculty members on duty.
- Pick up students by 3:30 p.m.
Consider joining a Parent Service Team.
- Get to know the students, teachers and families.
- For moms and/or dads who would like to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom.
- Use your gifts and abilities at ICS.
- Email Jill Rummel, Parent Service Team Coordinator, and let her know if you are interested or if you would like more information. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
Clinic Medication Policies
The school nurse stocks the following over the counter medications in the school clinic:
- Acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) Ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin or Advil)
- Antibiotic Ointment for cuts (e.g. Neosporin)
- Hydrocortisone Cream (for minor rash/bug bites)
- Antacids (e.g. Tums)
- Cough Drops (non-medicated)
THESE MEDICATIONS CAN ONLY BE ADMINSITERED BY A SCHOOL NURSE and ONLY IF A PARENT HAS APPROVED THE ADMINISTRATION OF EACH MEDICATION IN ADVANCE.
You may approve these medications by checking “Yes” in the appropriate area of the Emergency Care & Medical Information Form. This form can be found on ParentsWeb by choosing
Web Forms, Back to School Updates and Authorizations, and Student Medical Information near the bottom of the page. Parents are notified by the school nurse via email or phone when medicine has been dispensed. Students may not have any medicine in their possession while at school except in the case of Emergency medication, in which case physician approval to self-carry is required. Please refer to the Parent-Student Handbook (found on the ICS website and ParentsWeb), or contact the school nurse for policies, instructions and authorization forms for other medications. Please contact Cindy Houttekier, RN or Susan Colletti, RN at email@example.com if you have questions.
Join us for a grade level playdate on the ICS playground to meet future classmates and parents!
- Thursday, August 13 from 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Monday, August 17 from 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team this fall. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Student applicants are welcome but must be at least 16 years of age. Please email Allison Masson, our Extended Care Director, for more information.
Extended Care has a FEW spots left!
We have a few spots left for both Morning Care and After Care in this new school year. Morning Care is available at 7:00 a.m. Monday through Friday. After Care is available Mondays from 1:30 – 6:00 p.m. and Tuesdays through Fridays from 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. The contract is available on our website here. If interested, please fill out the contract and return to Allison Masson.
Extended Care for Teacher Workdays and Parent-Teacher Conference days
The Extended Care Program offers care for students on Teacher Workdays and Parent-Teacher Conference days from 8:00-4:00 p.m. Registration is on a first-come, first served basis because space is limited. The contract is available on our website here. If interested, please fill out the contract and return to Allison Masson.
Fall 2015 After School Club Information
We are excited to offer After School Clubs again this year! Fall 2015 clubs will include Choir Club, Chess Club, Art Club, Dance Club, Chinese Club, Lego Club, Martial Arts and others are under consideration. Students love this after school fun with their friends and parents love the convenience of classes being offered right here at ICS. No extra driving required! Please click here to see the ICS website for registration information and fees for all classes.
Rocketry Club Mentor Needed
We are seeking a parent mentor with experience in building and flying model rockets, who could also commit to meeting with the kids twice a month on Monday afternoons between October and April to lead our Rocketry Club. It would be helpful if this parent knows something about simulation software. If interested, please contact Mrs. Crabtree.
Summer Office Hours
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Spread the Word About ICS
Continue to spread the word about ICS as you see people over the summer, at the pool, camp, etc. If you have a friend who may be interested in enrolling their children at ICS, please encourage them to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. There are a few spots still available for the 2015-2016 school year! Apply here. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives! Feel free to come with them to ICS! You will receive a thank you gift if they enroll. Be sure to fill out the referral Web Form.
2015-2016 School Calendar
- Meet ‘n’ Greet: August 31 (Monday evening)
- First Day of School: September 2 (Wednesday)
- Parent Teacher Conferences: November 4-6 (Wednesday – Friday)
- Thanksgiving Break: November 25-27 (Wednesday – Friday)
- Christmas Program/Grandparents’ Day: December 18 (Friday)
- Christmas Break: December 21-January 1
- Classes Resume: January 4 (Monday)
- Easter Break: March 21-28
- Classes Resume: March 29 (Tuesday)
- Last Day of School: June 15 (Wednesday)
Click here for the complete 2015-2016 calendar.
Summer Selfies – Stay in touch with the ICS community!
We have two fun opportunities to stay in touch with the ICS community over the summer!
- Flat Pinkley is back again and is ready for more summer adventures – color and cut out your own FlatPinkley and bring him along on all your family outings. Take a photo with Flat Pinkley and upload to Instagram and Facebook, by tagging @icsva and use #FlatPinkley.
- New this year…FLIP 4 ICS! Every time you see an ICS car magnet, flip it upside down and take a quick selfie by the magnet. Share on Instagram @ icsva and tag us on Facebook. Use #flip4ICS – you never know where you’ll see those magnets show up!
ICS Family Night at Nats Park – Saturday, September 26
Come join the ICS family to watch the Washington Nationals play baseball against the Philadelphia Phillies at Nats Park on Saturday, September 26th at 4:05 p.m. We have reserved seats in sections 303/304. Tickets are $26 each. This fun night is designed for parents to take their son/daughter to the event. We will all meet at Nats Park and have a great time cheering on the Nats. Please place your order and pay for your tickets at the school office. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Pinkley. All ticket orders must be received by Friday, September 11. GO NATS!
We Collect Box Tops
Bring your Box Tops in a Ziploc bag labeled with your child(s) name and grade to Reception and make sure you check the dates on the Box Tops as expired dates will not be counted in the totals. Remember to sign up and support ICS here. Once you register, you will have access to coupons for box top products and have the opportunity to play fun games and earn eBox Tops for our school. If you have questions, please contact our coordinator, Jennifer deVallance.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Follow ICS on Social Media
ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn! If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. Also, check out our Alumni group on Facebook. We’d love to hear from you!
IBC Women's Ministry - Sweet Sunday, August 23 at 6:30 pm
Join us as we kick off a new ministry year with ice cream sundaes, worship together and registration for women’s Bible studies and other ministries. There is no cost. Join us! Register online!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|