Summer Edition: July 9, 2015
Summer Edition: July 9, 2015
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
Happy Summer 2015
We pray you are enjoying your summer and that God is refreshing you in many ways. We are busy at work here at ICS preparing for your arrival in early September.
Summer Office Hours
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Spread the Word About ICS
Continue to spread the word about ICS as you see people over the summer, at the pool, camp, etc. If you have a friend who may be interested in enrolling their children at ICS, please encourage them to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. There are a few spots still available for the 2015-2016 school year! Apply here. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives! Feel free to come with them to ICS! You will receive a thank you gift if they enroll. Be sure to fill out the referral Web Form.
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing her directly.
- Lindsay Anderson: Grades 5-8, Math, email@example.com or 571.334.4236
- Sarah Calhoun: Grades K-8, Math/Reading/Language Arts, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donna Christophersen, Grades 6 – 12, Math through Pre-Calculus and parent coaching on education topics including Learning Styles, Education Options and College Preparedness, email@example.com or 703.405.8331
- Lindsey Hardenbergh: Grades 6-12, English and Spanish, Lahardenberg@fcps.edu or 571.265.9203
- Calla Nyboer: 3-6th Math, L.A., Social Studies, firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment Openings for 2015–2016
Immanuel Christian School is now accepting applications for the following teaching positions: Lower School teaching assistant, Science/6th-8th grade Math teaching assistant (part time), and coaches (part time for JV Girls’ soccer, JV Girls’ basketball, lacrosse and Varsity Boys’ and Varsity Girls’ softball). All teaching positions require an education degree and classroom experience. Substitutes are also needed. Please download and complete the appropriate application from the school’s website and email to Immanuel Christian School at email@example.com, attention Principal.
Lunchroom Supervisor Needed for 2015-2016
We are looking for a Lunchroom Supervisor for next year. The work time at ICS is from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily. If you are interested, please contact Dale Pinkley.
Extended Care Employment Opportunities
Extended Care is growing our team this fall. If you need part-time work, love children and want a flexible schedule, please consider joining us. Extended Care runs every afternoon immediately following dismissal and on Teacher Workdays. It is a perfect job for someone who is interested in 10-20 hours a week, but still wants to be home by 6:00 p.m.! Student applicants are welcome but must be at least 16 years of age. Please email Allison Masson, our Extended Care Director, for more information.
2015-2016 School Calendar
- Meet ‘n’ Greet: August 31 (Monday evening)
- First Day of School: September 2 (Wednesday)
- Parent Teacher Conferences: November 4-6 (Wednesday – Friday)
- Thanksgiving Break: November 25-27 (Wednesday – Friday)
- Christmas Program/Grandparents’ Day: December 18 (Friday)
- Christmas Break: December 21-January 1
- Classes Resume: January 4 (Monday)
- Easter Break: March 21-28
- Classes Resume: March 29 (Tuesday)
- Last Day of School: June 15 (Wednesday)
New Family Sponsor Program
Remember what it was like to be the “new kid on the block”? Having a new friend before school starts can make all the difference! Would you like to help sponsor a new student and his or her family this summer? Let us know the name and grade of each child who would like to participate. This is not only a student commitment, but each student must be assisted by parents too. Click here to view the guidelines and student expectations. Please contact Diane Carnahan to volunteer or ask questions.
Summer Selfies – Stay in touch with the ICS community this summer!
We have two fun opportunities to stay in touch with the ICS community over the summer!
- Flat Pinkley is back again and is ready for more summer adventures – color and cut out your own FlatPinkley and bring him along on all your family outings. Take a photo with Flat Pinkley and upload to Instagram and Facebook, by tagging @icsva and use #FlatPinkley.
- New this year…FLIP 4 ICS! Every time you see an ICS car magnet, flip it upside down and take a quick
selfie by the magnet. Share on Instagram @ icsva and tag us on Facebook. Use #flip4ICS – you never know where you’ll see those magnets show up!
ICS Family Night at Nats Park – Saturday, September 26
Come join the ICS family to watch the Washington Nationals play baseball against the Philadelphia Phillies at Nats Park on Saturday, September 26th at 4:05 p.m. We have reserved seats in sections 303/304. Tickets are $26 each. This fun night is designed for parents to take their son/daughter to the event. We will all meet at Nats Park and have a great time cheering on the Nats. Please place your order and pay for your tickets at the school office. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Pinkley. GO NATS!
Important Information for New Families
Welcome to ICS! In order to be ready for the start of school, please complete the following tasks:
- Submit all 2014-2015 report cards and testing results.
- Summer reading is required for grades 1-8. The required books are available in the school office for grades 3-8. See Summer Reading List. Other books should be obtained elsewhere or borrowed at a local library.
- New students in 7th & 8th grades, pick up a Spanish study packet in the office.
- ParentsWeb is the parent portal to the ICS database. Here you will be able to access directories, forms, update information, etc. Be sure to set up your ParentsWeb account and password now so that you can complete the Web Forms online prior to the beginning of school. District Code is ics-va.
NEW Forms to be Completed for ALL FAMILIES
Please complete the following Web Forms on ParentsWeb. Notice the forms that are required to be completed BEFORE you receive your student’s class assignment. Be sure to click SAVE at the end of each form. Please update grandparent information, which will be used for our Grandparents’ Day program in December.
- Update Parent Information as needed.
- Update Parent Alert Preferences
- Sign Parent Agreement (Annually)*
- Sign Responsible Use Policy (Annually)*
- Update Emergency Contact Information*
- Student Medical Information*
- Field Trip Authorization* (Annually)
- Email Address for Upper School Students
- T-shirt size needed
*Indicates forms which must be completed before you receive your child’s class assignment.
Also, fill out the following Web Forms if applicable:
- 2015-2016 Carpool Registration (Update annually ONLY if you are in a carpool with another family)
- 2015-2016 Volunteer Driver Application (MUST be updated annually) Note: For individuals other than parents, hard copies are available in Reception or on the school website under Resource Documents.
View or download any of the following documents also found under Resource Documents on ParentsWeb or the school website under the Parent > Resource Documents:
- 2015-2016 School Calendar
- Supply Lists:
- Lower School (1-4)
- Upper School (5-8)
- School Uniform List (Grades 1-8)
- Summer Reading List (Grades 1-8)
- 2015-2016 Zip Code List (ParentsWeb only)
- Medical Forms for Daily Medication and Care Plans
BIG Update and Changes for the Orchestra Program
Sue Agazzi, our NEW Orchestra Director, is offering a BIGGER instruction program by having students meet 2-3 times a week depending on the program. Students will have twice the opportunity to learn basic foundations of music with greater results for performance skills. Percussion is a new option too! To register, please complete the Web Form on ParentsWeb. Private lesson registration is also available now.
- Beginning Woodwinds/Strings/Brass – 2 days a week: $325
- Concert (Intermediate and Strings) – 2 days a week: $325
- Symphonic (Advanced) – 3 days a week: $450
- Percussion Ensemble – 1 day a week: $200
Instrumental Web Forms:
- 2015-2016 Orchestra and Band Pre-Registration
- 2015-2016 Private Music Lesson Pre-Registration
Directory in ParentsWeb Unavailable for the Summer
The online directory in ParentsWeb will not be available during the summer. However there is a copy of the directory with all phone numbers and email addresses on ParentsWeb under Resource Documents. Please contact the school office if you are unable to find what you need.
Immunizations – Rising 6th Graders and New Families
- Rising 6th Graders: Virginia immunization requirements state that all rising 6th graders are required to submit documentation that a tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) booster administered after 2009. This documentation is required for your child to start the 2015-16 school year, and must be turned into the school office by August 1, 2015.
- New Families: Please remember to turn in your child’s physical and immunization record to the office prior to August 1.
Class Assignments 2015-2016 in Mid-August
Class assignments for the school year have not been finalized yet. The admission process for new students continues throughout the summer and will affect the final placement lists. In order to allow the administration the opportunity to finalize class lists, they will not be ready until mid-August.
Monthly Tuition Payments Reminder
Please remember that your first tuition payment for the new school year was paid in March or at the time of initial enrollment. The second monthly payment was made through the FACTS Tuition Management plan in June or your first month after enrollment. Your tuition payments will continue monthly throughout the summer and school year. If you have any questions concerning your payment plan, please contact Mandy Croushore, Director of Finance.
School Uniforms: Order at Lands' End (#900143637)
Lands’ End is our official school uniform provider. Please check the School Uniform List before purchasing new items for the 2015-2016 school year. For any NEW uniform needs, purchase from Lands’ End, either online or from any Sears Store that carries Lands’ End clothing. To order click here.
Uniform Changes and Updates for 2015-16 School Year
Upper School Girls (grades 5-8): We have added new skirt and skort options to our LANDS’ END School Uniform website. These new options have been enthusiastically endorsed by a group of middle school girls! The current kilt from LANDS’ END has been discontinued, but existing kilts from both LANDS’ END and Flynn & O’Hara will be allowed for grades 5-8.
Lower School Girls (grades 1-4): There will be a new knit jumper offered in Classic Navy. Our current plaid and navy jumper drop-waist options will continue to be available.
Back-To-School Picnic 2015: Mark Your Calendar for September 12
ICS’s 20th Annual Back-to-School Picnic will be held Saturday, September 12, from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. (food, fun and fellowship) and 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (outdoor movie). During the picnic, vendors will be offering parents the opportunity to shop for crafts, scrap booking items, jewelry, services, etc. and support fellow ICS families. Mark your calendar and plan on attending this year’s picnic. Note: Rain date September 18.
Promote Your Business - Sponsor the Movie
Would you like to get your business information out to the families of ICS? Here’s your chance! ICS is looking for a sponsor for the Back-to-School Picnic movie. We’ll include your business card and contact information on all our flyers and announcements for the picnic. Plus, we’ll provide a full-color ad that will be shown on the 21-foot movie screen at the beginning of the movie. If you are interested in promoting your business and helping ICS defray the cost of this fun family event, please contact Laura Tweed, Advancement Director, by July 31 for details.
Attention Crafters and Home Businesses
Here’s your chance to get the word out about your business and sell your products at ICS annual Back-to-School Picnic on Saturday, September 12, from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Click here to complete the online application and pay the vendor fee of $25. Contact Laura Tweed for questions. Hurry…first come, first served for vendor’s selection. Don’t miss out to reserve your space!
Fall Uniform Exchange
Parents, if you missed our Spring Used Uniform Exchange recently, please save your used Lands’ End uniforms for the Exchange at the Back-to-School Picnic, which is Saturday, September 12. You will be able to bring them in a few days before the Picnic. More information will be coming later this summer about this.
We Collect Box Tops
Bring your Box Tops in a Ziploc bag labeled with your child(s) name and grade to Reception and make sure you check the dates on the Box Tops as expired dates will not be counted in the totals. Remember to sign up and support ICS here. Once you register, you will have access to coupons for box top products and have the opportunity to play fun games and earn eBox Tops for our school. If you have questions, please contact our coordinator, Jennifer deVallance.
Join a Parent Service Team for 2015-2016
Interested in getting more involved in your child’s classroom next year? Consider joining a Parent Service Team. It’s a great way to get to know the students, teachers and families. We are looking for moms and dads who would like to work on a team with other parents to provide volunteer support in each classroom. This is a wonderful opportunity to serve and use your gifts and abilities at ICS. Please email Jill Rummel, Parent Service Team Coordinator, and let her know if you are interested in serving on a Parent Service Team or if you would like more information. If you have multiple children at the school, please list your order of preference for the grade you would like to assist. We will do our best to place you where you would like to serve as we balance the support for each class. We are so thankful for the many parents who volunteer their time and talents for our children each year. We couldn’t do it without you!
Summer Grade Level Gatherings
Several parents have expressed interest in getting classes together over the summer. This is a great way to provide time with school friends who don’t live “in the neighborhood” to meet new students and in general stay in touch over the summer. If you would be interested in organizing a onetime event, please let us know. If you would like to meet on campus, we will need to reserve the space for you (even the playground area must be reserved). This is not organized by the Parent Service Team so anyone can plan an event. It could be a bowling afternoon, going to the movies, lunch on the playground, kickball on the field, dinner at Chick-Fil-A, etc. Parents would need to chaperone their own event. Diane Carnahan can help by providing the email addresses and other contact information for you. Let us know how we can help!
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
Follow ICS on Social Media
ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn! If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. Also, check out our Alumni group on Facebook. We’d love to hear from you!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|