May 21, 2015
May 21, 2015
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
No School Monday, May 25: Happy Memorial Day
Enjoy your day. Classes resume Tuesday, May 26.
Spread the Word About ICS
If you have a friend who is interested in enrolling their children at ICS, please encourage them to contact email@example.com to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. There are a few spots still available for the 2015-2016 school year! Apply here. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives!
Retirement Tributes Needed for Mrs. Copeland and Mr. Davis: Deadline May 27
We will be celebrating the retirements of Mary Jo Copeland and Wayne Davis in June. We welcome your tributes for their faithful service. The deadline for these tributes is May 27th. Please click here to send your words of appreciation to be presented to them in a book.
All-School Graduation and Awards
The Graduation and Awards Program is scheduled for Tuesday, June 9, at 7:15 p.m. Students in grades 3-7 should report to their classrooms no later than 7:00 p.m. in order to proceed into the Worship Center as a class. Graduating 8th grade students should report to their classrooms no later than 6:30 p.m. Watch for more details concerning graduation in upcoming ”In the Loop”. Please Note: Kindergarten-2nd grade students do not participate in graduation; however, they may attend with their parents.
Graduation Dress Code
Graduation is a special event for all students in grades 3-8. Students are expected to dress up and follow dress code standards detailed in the “Parent Student Handbook.”
Last Fun Lunch: May 27
Wednesday, May 27 is the last Fun Lunch of the school year. Thank you to Lori Slattery, Fun Lunch Coordinator, for heading up the program. We couldn’t have this program without her and the great help from our volunteer parents!
Sports Day, June 4 - Parent Help Needed
Sports Day is coming! It is one of the students’ favorite days of the school year.
- Helpers Needed: It takes many volunteers to pull together this day of fun, camaraderie and fitness for our students. We need your help to make this day special. To volunteer for grades 3-8 please click here. 1st and 2nd grade parents please click here.
- Grades 1 & 2 will enjoy coordinated activities by Cindy Wade, while grades 3-8 will continue the usual Sports Day activities with Lisa Fisher.
- Students and teachers will wear their Serve-A-Thon t-shirts from the Fall.
- Hot dog lunch will be served to students, volunteers, siblings and teachers.
- Faculty/8th grade volleyball game will be in the gym at 1:45 p.m.(Alumni please RSVP here.)We look forward to seeing you June 4!
Help Needed Serving Sports Day Lunch
We need helpers to serve lunch on Sports Day, Thursday, June 4. Helpers are needed throughout the day – for an hour or for the day! Please contact Lori Slattery if you can help! Thank you in advance for your service. You may use this time for Parent Service Hours.
End of Quarter Verse Recitation May 28 & 29
- 4th Quarter: Thursday, May 28 (1st try) & Friday, May 29 (retry)
- 1st – 3rd Quarters: Tuesday, June 2 (1st try) & Wednesday, June 3 (retry)
- 1st – 4th Quarters: Thursday, May 28 (1st try) & Friday, May 29 (retry)
- Grades 1 – 8: Monday, June 1 (1st try) & Tuesday, June 2 (retry)
Middle School Exam Schedule
Tuesday, June 2: NOON DISMISSAL (6-8th Grades ONLY)
8:45-10:10 a.m.7th & 8th grade Language Arts Exam in classrooms & 6th Grade Math Exam
Wednesday, June 3: NOON DISMISSAL (6th – 8th Grades ONLY)
8:45-10:10 a.m. 8th grade Math Exam, 10:20-11:45 a.m. in classrooms 7th Grade Math Exam, 10:30-12:00 p.m. 8th Grade Graduation Practice, 8:45 a.m.-12:00 p.m. 6th grade in classroom finishing up presentations
Extended Care Reminders
- Extended care hours for the last two weeks of school are listed here.
Extended care for kindergarten ends on the last day of kindergarten, Wednesday, June 3.
2015-2016 School Supply Online Ordering
ICS’s partnership with Cornerstone Office Solutions is now expanding to provide parents and students an easy-to-order supply kit for the new school year. This year each kit includes even more of the required supplies for every grade level. Just place your order online and the kits will be delivered to your child’s classroom in time for the ICS Meet ‘n’ Greet in August – no need to store supply kits at home over the summer. Best of all, a portion of the purchase price will go to ICS! Order here.
Talent Show Highlights
Congratulations and thank you to all who participated in the Talent Show and all who made it happen – on and off the stage! We are amazed at the creativity and gifts of all our students. Click here to enjoy a small sampling of the many acts of the talent show. (Original rap by 6th grader Alex and original spoken word poetry by 7th grader Anna.) Enjoy!
Uniform Changes and Updates for 2015-16 School Year
Upper School Girls (grades 5-8): We will be adding new skirt and skort options to our LANDS’ END School Uniform website. These new options have been enthusiastically endorsed by a group of middle school girls! The current kilt from LANDS’ END has been discontinued, but existing kilts from both LANDS’ END and Flynn & O’Hara will be allowed for grades 5-8.
Lower School Girls (grades 1-4): There will be a new knit jumper offered, in Classic Navy. Our current plaid and navy jumper drop-waist options will continue to be available.
ICS Used Book Sale May 27-29
Best Book Sale Ever! Prices begin at 25 cents and the sale even includes some new books at 75% off retail. Book Sale dates are Wednesday – Friday, May 27-29 from 8:30 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. in the school library (Room C202). The sale features children’s and young adult fiction, adult fiction and all ages non-fiction. Contact ICS Library staff by email or call 703.941.1220 for more details. Thank you for your support!
Notes from Clinic
- Pick Up Medications: Please remember to pick up all medications you have had on file in the clinic. All medications must be picked up no later than Wednesday, June 10 or they will be discarded.
- Immunizations for Rising 6th Graders: Virginia immunization requirements state that all rising 6th graders are required to submit documentation that a tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) booster was administered after 2009. This documentation is required for your child to start the 2014-2015 school year, and must be turned in to the school office before August 2015.
Upcoming Alumni Events – June 4
Current High School Students: ICS Classes of 2011-2014 are invited back to campus to join us for lunch starting at 11:00 a.m. and then compete in the annual Alumni vs. 8thGrade Volleyball Game on Sports Day, June 4. Please RSVP here.
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing him/her directly. Tutors are listed by experience.
- Lindsay Anderson: Grades 5-8, Math, firstname.lastname@example.org or 571.334.4236
- Sarah Calhoun: Grades K-8, Math/Reading/Language Arts, email@example.com
- Lindsey Hardenbergh: Grades 6-12, English and Spanish, Lahardenberg@fcps.edu or 571.265.9203
- Calla Nyboer: 3-6th Math, L.A., Social Studies, firstname.lastname@example.org
2015 – 2016 School Calendar
- First Day of School: Wednesday, September 2, 2015
- Parent Teacher Conferences: – Friday, November 4-6
- Thanksgiving Break: – Wednesday – Friday, November 25-27
- Christmas Chapel/Grandparents’ Day: Friday, December 18
- Christmas Break: Monday, December 21 – Friday, January 1
- Classes Resume: Monday, January 4
- Easter Break: Monday, March 21 – Monday, March 28
- Last Day of School: Wednesday, June 15
Faculty Positions for 2015–2016
Immanuel Christian School is now accepting applications for the following teaching positions: Middle School Math (full-time), 5th-8th Spanish. These positions require an education degree and classroom experience. An orchestra director and coaches are also needed. Visit the school’s website for the application. Return by mail c/o Mary Jo Copeland or email here.
ICS Basketball Camp: June 15-19
Mark your calendars! ICS will again host a summer basketball camp from Monday – Friday, June 15-19. Camp will be held in the ICS Gym from 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Camp is for both boys and girls entering 4th – 9th grades. Fill out form here and return to Reception along with payment. Sign up before May 22 and save $25!
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to our school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
We Collect Box Tops
Bring your Box Tops in a Ziploc bag labeled with your child(s) name and grade to Reception and make sure you check the dates on the Box Tops as expired dates will not be counted in the totals. Remember to sign up and support ICS here. Once you register, you will have access to coupons for box top products and have the opportunity to play fun games and earn eBox Tops for our school. If you have questions, please contact our coordinator, Sophia Edwards.
Follow ICS on Social Media
Did you know that ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn? If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. Also, check out our Alumni group on Facebook. We’d love to hear from you!
Immanuel Christian School is now accepting applications for substitute teachers (a college degree is required). Click here to download the application. Mail applications to Mary Jo Copeland at 6915 Braddock Road, Springfield, VA 22151.
Lunch and Recess Help Still Needed
Parent volunteers are needed to help in the lunch room and at recess from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily (K-4: 11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m. and grades 5-8: 12:45 p.m. -1:30 p.m.). While you help, you can eat lunch with your child, see them interact at recess and get to know fellow parents and your child’s classmates. We need regular volunteers to help one day a week or every other week. Your help gives our teachers a little break in the middle of their day to enjoy their lunch. Please contact Art Merkel, Lunchroom Supervisor or Todd Westfall, Recess Supervisor, to volunteer.
Vacation Bible School at IBC: June 22-26
Mark your calendars for June 22- 26 for the week of Vacation Bible School.
- AM Program – “The King of the Jungle”: 4 years old by 9/30/15 – entering 3rdgrade
- PM Program – “My Heart Radio”: entering 4th– entering 7th grades
To register click here. Invite your friends and neighbors! Hope to see you there.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|