April 9, 2015
April 9, 2015
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
School in Session Monday, April 13, 8:20 a.m. – 3:20 p.m.
This is our last snow makeup day! Note: Dismissal at 3:20 p.m., not the usual 1:30 p.m. dismissal. Morning option kindergarten will be dismissed at 1:30 p.m. There will be no clubs after school. As always, students who will miss school on these previously scheduled holidays should notify their teacher in advance. Thank you for your flexibility and understanding.
After School Clubs: Snow Make-Up Days Schedule
Please click here for important information regarding schedule changes.
Financial Aid Applications due April 17
Applications for tuition assistance are processed online by FACTS. All required documentation is due by April 17. There is a processing fee of $30 for this service. Families who are currently receiving aid should have received information in their re-enrollment packet. Please remember that a new online application must be completed each year you request tuition assistance. Details are available on our website under Tuition and Financial Aid.
Faculty Positions for 2015–2016
Immanuel Christian School is now accepting applications for the following teaching positions: 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 5th grade, Elementary Science (grades 3-6), Middle School Math, Middle School Language Arts, 5th-8th Spanish and Athletic Director/Boys’ P.E. All positions, except Spanish, are full-time and require an education degree and classroom experience. Visit the school’s website for the application. Return by mail c/o Mary Jo Copeland or email here.
Invite Friends to Visiting Day - 4/17: RSVP Needed Tomorrow
Do you know of a family who is considering a change to private Christian school? Perhaps they have considered Immanuel but feel they need more information? We are offering a great opportunity to show what ICS is all about. 3rd through 7th grade students are encouraged to invite a friend to school on Friday, April 17th, from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. All visitors will leave before lunch. This event is intended for serious admissions considerations only. Limited space is available – families must register tomorrow. For more information and to RSVP click here. Questions? Please contact Lauren Umble.
Spring Picture Day – April 15
- Spring pictures are scheduled for ICS students on Wednesday, April 15. This is an optional picture day. Only the students who order pictures will have their picture taken on this day.
- All students, even those not ordering pictures, may dress down. Dress down rules apply: Clothing should not be too tight, too short, or oversized. For girls, dress and skirt length should be within 3 inches of the knee. Shorts must be walking shorts (also known as Bermuda shorts) that reach to the end of their fingertips when their arms are placed by their side and fully extended. Spandex shorts are not permitted alone, but may be worn underneath a pair of shorts or skirt. Cut-off shorts, tank tops, and midriff tops are not permitted.
- If the weather is nice, students will have their pictures taken outside.
- Order forms will be coming home this week. Pay with a check or fill in your credit card information on the form.
- Two parent volunteers are also needed to help that day. Volunteering on Picture Day counts towards Parent Service hours and you will earn $15 off your child’s pictures. Contact Mary Sue Smith to help.
TerraNova Annual Student Achievement Testing: April 24 - May 1
Students in grades 3-8 will participate in the annual TerraNova Testing April 24 – May 1. There is no preparation needed except for a good breakfast, a good night’s rest and two No. 2 pencils. It is extremely important that you arrive on time and do NOT arrange doctor appointments for this week. Students with unexcused absences will be retested for a fee of at least $25 per student. Please see the Parent/Student Handbook for absentee information.
Financial Planning Workshop for Private Education – April 22, 7:30 p.m.
Do you have friends who are interested in sending their children to ICS and would like financial tools to help make it possible? Invite them to a workshop, Setting Your Financial Course: Planning for Private Education, on Wednesday, April 22 from 7:30-9:00 p.m. in the ICS Library. This workshop, taught by ICS parent, John Griffin, will offer practical financial tools based on principles found in Scripture to help set priorities and chart a course for families. Current ICS families are also invited to attend this workshop! Click to RSVP. Childcare is available for $10 per child and advanced reservations by April 15 are required.
Capital Athletic Conference Track Meet: Monday, April 27
The annual Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) track meet will be held again this year at Langley School on Monday, April 27. We need lots of parent volunteers to be timers, ribbon writers, and help getting the kids to the right events. No training is required and you will receive Parent Service Hours for volunteering. We will depart ICS at 11:00 a.m. and be at Langley School from noon to approximately 5:30 p.m. You may volunteer for the day or any amount of time that you are available. Please contact Wayne Davis, our Athletic Director, as soon as possible. It is a premier event for the CAC and is lots of fun for the kids and adult volunteers.
Retirement Tributes Needed for Mrs. Copeland and Mr. Davis: Deadline May 27
We will be celebrating the retirements of Mary Jo Copeland and Wayne Davis in June. We welcome your tributes for their faithful service. The deadline for these tributes is May 27th. Please click here to send your words of appreciation.
100 Verse Recitation
There is an opportunity at the end of the 4th quarter for students to quote additional verses to total 100 verses for the year. A special Bible, which the student selects, is awarded for this achievement. Your student’s Bible teacher will provide information to the student about the 100 verses recitation. Please note that all additional verses must be printed and submitted to the Bible teacher by May 13. Students who want to recite 100 verses must complete them by June 1 for all grades. Please contact your student’s Bible teacher for additional information.
ICS Talent Show: May 1 - All Welcome
All are welcome to attend the 4th Annual ICS Talent Show. There will be an all-school assembly on Friday, May 1 from 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. in the Worship Center to see performances from students in grades 4-8. You may even see some staff show off their skills! Parents, family members and friends from all grade levels are welcome to attend what is sure to be an exciting time. Please contact Lauren Umble if you have questions.
NVMTA Spring Music Festival: ICS Piano Students Participated
The following ICS piano students of Kathleen McDonald participated in the NVMTA Spring Music Festival, March 27, 28 & 29. Congratulations to these students:
- Christian Kim – Superior Rating (Four Consecutive Years)
- Spencer Adams – Superior Rating (Five Consecutive Years)
- Fei Hung Hsu – Superior Rating (Two Consecutive Years)
- Madelyn Taliaferro – Superior Rating (Three Consecutive Years) Will be awarded her first Gold Cup trophy this year.
- Eliana Lafleur – Superior Rating (Three Consecutive Years) Will be awarded her first Gold Cup trophy this year.
Used Book Sale: May 27-29
The ICS Library will hold a Used Book Sale on Wednesday, May 27- Friday, May 29 in the school library during school hours. Hundreds of children’s books, DVDs, young adult and adult Christian fiction will be available! Tell your friends and come browse, buy & save!
Used Book Donations Needed for Used Book Sale
The ICS Library is now accepting donations of used books for the Used Book Sale. Children’s books (Grades K-9), DVDs, coffee table books and adult Christian fiction in good condition are welcome. Let’s recycle those “gently used” books on your shelves! Please bring items to the ICS Library (Room C202) by May 22. For questions please contact Library staff: Call 703.941.1220 or email at email@example.com.
ICS Basketball Camp: June 15-19
Mark your calendars! ICS will again host a summer basketball camp from Monday – Friday, June 15-19. Camp will be held in the ICS Gym from 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Camp is limited to the first 100 campers, both boys and girls entering 4th – 9th grades. Fill out basketball camp 2015 registration form and return to Reception along with payment.
Upcoming Alumni Events – May 21 & June 4
- College and Career Alumni: Join us for an evening of BBQ and backyard games at Phil, Diane, Jessie and Jackie Bond’s house, May 21stat 6:00 p.m. The cost is $10 and those who RSVP here by May 8th will receive an ICS alumni t-shirt!
- Attention current high school students: ICS Classes of 2011-2014 are invited back to campus to join us for lunch starting at 11:00 a.m. and then compete in the annual alumni vs. 8thgrade volleyball game on Sports Day, June 4. Please RSVP here.
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
We Collect Box Tops
Please keep the Box Tops coming. Bring your Box Tops in a Ziploc bag labeled with your child(s) name and grade to Reception and make sure you check the dates on the Box Tops as expired dates will not be counted in the totals. Remember to sign up and support ICS here. Once you register, you will have access to coupons for box top products and have the opportunity to play fun games and earn eBox Tops for our school. If you have questions, please contact our coordinator, Sophia Edwards.
Follow ICS on Social Media
Did you know that ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn? If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. Also, check out our Alumni group on Facebook. We’d love to hear from you!
Immanuel Christian School is now accepting applications for substitute teachers (a college degree is required). Click here to download the application. Mail applications to Mary Jo Copeland at 6915 Braddock Road, Springfield, VA 22151.
Lunch and Recess Help Still Needed
Parent volunteers are needed to help in the lunch room and at recess from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily (K-4: 11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m. and grades 5-8: 12:45 p.m. -1:30 p.m.). While you help, you can eat lunch with your child, see them interact at recess and get to know fellow parents and your child’s classmates. We need regular volunteers to help one day a week or every other week. Your help gives our teachers a little break in the middle of their day to enjoy their lunch. Please contact Art Merkel, Lunchroom Supervisor or Todd Westfall, Recess Supervisor, to volunteer.
Vacation Bible School at IBC: June 22-26
Mark your calendars for June 22- 26 for the week of Vacation Bible School.
- AM Program – “The King of the Jungle”: 4 years old by 9/30/15 – entering 3rdgrade
- PM Program – “My Heart Radio”: entering 4th– entering 7th grades
Registration begins May 1st. For more information, click here. Invite your friends and neighbors! Hope to see you there.
College of William & Mary’s Center for Gifted Education will be conducting its annual Summer Enrichment Program (SEP) in July. Two sessions will be offered from July 6-10 and July 13-17 with morning and afternoon course offerings. The event will be held at the College of William & Mary and consists of various enrichment courses for gifted students in grades K-12. Click here for more information.
Summer Programs at Thomas Jefferson Students should register for programs based on the grade they are in during the current 2014-15 school year. Details on each program are as follows:
- Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Summer Technology Institute – The Institute will be held July 13-August 7 at Woodson High School. Students currently in grades 7 and 8 will be introduced to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) through week-long sessions that allow them to explore a STEM topic of interest.
- Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Academic Summer School This program will be held July 6-August 6 at Woodson High School. Current TJHSST students and incoming freshmen choose from a variety of courses for academic credit.
Click here for registration information.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|