March 26, 2015
March 26, 2015
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
Happy Easter! He is Risen!
He is Risen Indeed!
Easter Break Dates: No School - Monday, March 30 - Friday, April 3
Snow Make-Up Days: School in Session April 6 & 13
- Classes Resume: Monday, April 6 (snow make up day – 8:20 a.m. – 3:20 p.m. Note: Dismissal at 3:20 p.m., not the usual 1:30 p.m. dismissal. Morning option Kindergarten will be dismissed at 1:30 p.m.
- Regular school day Monday, April 13 (snow make up day – 8:20 a.m. – 3:20 p.m. Note: Dismissal at 3:20 p.m., not the usual 1:30 p.m. dismissal. Morning option Kindergarten will be dismissed at 1:30 p.m.
As always, students who will miss school on these previously scheduled holidays should notify their teacher in advance. Thank you for your flexibility and understanding.
After School Clubs: Snow Make-Up Day Schedule
Please click here for important information regarding schedule changes.
Financial Aid Applications due April 17
Applications for tuition assistance are processed online by FACTS. All required documentation is due by April 17. There is a processing fee of $30 for this service. Families who are currently receiving aid should have received information in their re-enrollment packet. Please remember that a new online application must be completed each year you request tuition assistance. Details are available on our website under Tuition and Financial Aid.
Faculty Positions Available for 2015–2016
Immanuel Christian School is now accepting applications for the following teaching positions: 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 5th grade, Middle School Math, Middle School Language Arts, 5th-8th Spanish and Athletic Director/Boys’ P.E. All positions, except Spanish, are full-time and require an education degree and classroom experience. Visit the school’s website for the application. Return by mail c/o Mary Jo Copeland or email here.
Invite Friends to Visiting Day - 4/17: RSVP Needed
Do you know of a family who is considering a change to private Christian school? Perhaps they have considered Immanuel but feel they need more information? We are offering a great opportunity to show what ICS is all about! 3rd through 7th grade students are encouraged to invite a friend to school on Friday, April 17th, from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. All visitors will leave before lunch. This event is intended for serious admissions considerations only. Limited space is available – families must register by April 10th. For more information and to RSVP click here. Questions? Please contact Lauren Umble.
Spring Picture Day – Wednesday, April 15
- Spring pictures are scheduled for ICS students on Wednesday, April 15. This is an optional picture day. Only students who order pictures will have their picture taken on this day.
- All students, even if you are not ordering pictures, may dress down. Dress down rules apply: Clothing should not be too tight, too short, or oversized. For girls, dress and skirt length should be within 3 inches of the knee. Shorts must be walking shorts (also known as Bermuda shorts) that reach to the end of their fingertips when their arms are placed by their side and fully extended. Spandex shorts are not permitted alone, but may be worn underneath a pair of shorts or skirt. Cut-off shorts, tank tops, and midriff tops are not permitted.
- If the weather is nice, students will have their pictures taken outside.
- Order forms will be coming home the week following Easter break. Pay with a check or fill in your credit card information on the form.
- Two parent volunteers are also needed to help that day. Volunteering on Picture Day counts towards Parent Service Hours and you will receive $15 off your child’s pictures. Contact Mary Sue Smith to help.
TerraNova Student Achievement Testing: April 24 - May 1
Students in grades 3-8 will participate in the annual TerraNova Testing April 24 – May 1. There is no preparation needed except for a good breakfast, a good night’s rest and two No. 2 pencils. It is extremely important that you arrive on time and do NOT arrange doctor appointments for this week. Students with unexcused absences will be retested for a fee of at least $25 per student. Please see the Parent/Student Handbook for absentee information.
Financial Planning Workshop for Private Education - 4/22,
Do you have friends who are interested in sending their children to ICS and would like financial tools to help make it possible? Invite them to a workshop, Setting Your Financial Course: Planning for Private Education, on Wednesday, April 22 from 7:30-9:00 p.m. in the ICS Library. This workshop, taught by ICS parent, John Griffin, will offer practical financial tools based on principles found in Scripture to help set priorities and chart a course for families. Current ICS families are also invited to attend this workshop! Click to RSVP. Childcare is available for $10 per child and advanced reservations by April 15 are required.
Verse Recitation for 3rd Quarter: Grades 1-8, April 9 & 10
All students in grades 1-8 will be reciting quarter verses soon.
- Elementary: Grades 1-5
- 1st& 2nd Quarters: Thursday, April 9 (1st try) & Friday, April 10 (retry)
- Middle School: Grades 6-8
- 1st-3rdQuarters: Thursday, April 9 (1st try) & Friday, April 10 (retry)
100 Verse Recitation
There is an opportunity at the end of the 4th quarter for students who wish to quote additional verses to total 100 verses for the year. A special Bible, which the student selects, is awarded for this achievement. Your student’s Bible teacher will provide information to the student about the 100 verses recitation. Please note that all additional verses must be printed and submitted to the Bible teacher by May 13. Students who want to recite 100 verses must complete them by June 1 for all grades. Please contact your student’s Bible teacher for additional information.
Retirement Tributes Needed for Mrs. Copeland & Mr. Davis: Deadline May 27
We will be celebrating the retirements of Mary Jo Copeland and Wayne Davis in June. We welcome your tributes for their faithful service. The deadline for these tributes is May 27th. Please click here to send your words of appreciation.
ICS Talent Show - May 1: All Welcome
All are welcome to attend the 4th Annual ICS Talent Show. There will be an all-school assembly on Friday, May 1st from 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. in the Worship Center to see performances from students in grades 4-8. You may even see some staff show off their skills! Parents, family members, and friends from all grade levels are welcome to attend what is sure to be an exciting time. Please contact Lauren Umble if you have questions.
Math Olympics 2015
The ACSI Math Olympics were held at ICS on Monday, March 23. Congratulations to the following students for their selection to participate in the Math Olympics: Harper Alvarado, Megan Liow, Grace Boutz, Alex Routsis, Sean Kelly, Blen Hailu, Kyubin Oh, Anna Booth. The students listed below received special recognition for their excellent performance in the following events.
Mrs. Pate and Mrs. Ferrell were impressed with each student’s performance and with the warm welcome that our students, faculty, staff, and families extended to our many guests that came to ICS for this event.
Used Book Donations Needed for Used Book Sale
The ICS Library is now accepting donations of used books for the Used Book Sale. Children’s books (Grades K-9), DVDs, coffee table books and adult Christian fiction in good condition are welcome. Let’s recycle those “gently used” books on your shelves! Please bring items to the ICS Library (Room C202) during school hours. For questions please contact Library staff: Call 703.941.1220 or email at email@example.com.
ICS Basketball Camp: June 15-19 - Mark your Calendar!
Mark your calendars! ICS will again host a summer basketball camp from Monday – Friday, June 15-19. Camp will be held in the ICS Gym from 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Camp is limited to the first 100 campers, both boys and girls entering 4th – 9th grades. Flyers will go out soon!
Upcoming Alumni Events - May 21 & June 4
- Attention current high school students: ICS Classes of 2011-2014are invited back to campus to join us for lunch and to compete in the annual alumni versus 8th grade volleyball game on Sports Day, June 4 starting at 11:00 a.m. Please RSVP here.
- College and Career Alumni: Join us for an evening of BBQ and backyard games at Phil, Diane, Jessie and Jackie Bond’s house, May 21ststarting at 6:00 p.m. The cost is $10 and those who RSVP here by May 8th will receive an ICS alumni t-shirt!
Amazon Smile Orders Benefit ICS
Did you know that shopping on Amazon through Amazon Smile directly benefits ICS? Bookmark this link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1025245 and 0.5% of your eligible purchases will be donated back to school! Thanks for supporting the work of ICS through Amazon Smile.
We Collect Box Tops
Please keep the Box Tops coming. Bring your Box Tops in a Ziploc bag labeled with your child(s) name and grade to Reception and make sure you check the dates on the Box Tops as expired dates will not be counted in the totals. Remember to sign up and support ICS here. Once you register, you will have access to coupons for box top products and have the opportunity to play fun games and earn eBox Tops for our school. If you have questions, please contact our coordinator, Sophia Edwards.
Follow ICS on Social Media
Did you know that ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn? If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. Also, check out our Alumni group on Facebook. We’d love to hear from you!
Lunch and Recess Help Still Needed
Parent volunteers are needed to help in the lunch room and at recess from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily (K-4: 11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m. and grades 5-8: 12:45 p.m. -1:30 p.m.). While you help, you can eat lunch with your child, see them interact at recess and get to know fellow parents and your child’s classmates. We need regular volunteers to help one day a week or every other week. Your help gives our teachers a little break in the middle of their day to enjoy their lunch. Please contact Art Merkel, Lunchroom Supervisor or Todd Westfall, Recess Supervisor, to volunteer.
Vacation Bible School at IBC: June 22-26
Mark your calendars for June 22- 26 for the week of Vacation Bible School.
- AM Program – “The King of the Jungle”: 4 years old by 9/30/15 – entering 3rdgrade
- PM Program – “My Heart Radio”: entering 4th– entering 5th grades
Registration begins May 1st. For more information, click here. Invite your friends and neighbors! Hope to see you there.
The Gospel of John Presented at Immanuel Bible Church
Talk about a Bonus Verse! Bring your whole family on Saturday evening, March 28 at 6:00 pm. to Immanuel Bible Church. IBC is hosting The Gospel of John, presented by Marquis Laughlin. Marquis will do a word-for-word performance of the passion story, from John, Chapter 11 through the end of the book. This will be an outstanding event, both inspiring and evangelical. Tickets are only $7 per person. Purchase tickets online or at the IBC Bookstore.
William & Mary’s Center for Gifted Education will be conducting its annual Summer Enrichment Program (SEP) in July. Two sessions will be offered from July 6-10 and July 13-17 with morning and afternoon course offerings. The event will be held at The College of William & Mary and consists of various enrichment courses for gifted students in grades K-12. Click here for more information.
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Summer Technology Institute and the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Academic Summer School. Students should register for programs based on the grade they are in during the current 2014-15 school year. Details on each program are as follows:
- Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Summer Technology Institute – The Institute will be held July 13-August 7 at Woodson High School. Students currently in grades 7 and 8 will be introduced to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) through week-long sessions that allow them to explore a STEM topic of interest.
- Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Academic Summer School This program will be held July 6-August 6 at Woodson High School. Current TJHSST students and incoming freshmen choose from a variety of courses for academic credit.
Click here for registration information.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|