February 26, 2015
February 26, 2015
If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
Re-Enrollment for 2015-2016 - Deadline February 27
Important re-enrollment information was sent home on February 10. Please review it carefully. You MUST notify the school by February 27, 2015 if you do NOT want to be automatically re-enrolled, otherwise your re-enrollment deposit will be automatically collected through FACTS on March 20. If you are not re-enrolling or your plans are uncertain, complete the re-enrollment opt-out/withdrawal Web Form on ParentsWeb. If you have questions, please contact Lauren Umble.
New Tuition Rates for 2015-2016
The ICS School Board has approved the new Tuition Rates for 2015-2016.
2015-2016 Sibling Enrollment Online
Last call for 2015-2016 kindergarten applications. ICS families should NOW complete applications for new siblings. Click here to apply. You may add this information to your current online account or create a new one if you have not done so in the past. You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for all grades. Contact Lauren Umble, Enrollment Manager, if you have questions.
Applications for tuition assistance are processed online by FACTS. All required documentation is due by April 17. There is a processing fee of $30 for this service. Families who are currently receiving aid should have received information in their re-enrollment packet. Please remember that a new online application must be completed each year you request tuition assistance. Details are available on our website under Tuition and Financial Aid.
Kindergarten Readiness Seminar
Join ICS and IBC on Tuesday, March 17 from 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. in the ICS Library for a Kindergarten Readiness Seminar. This is a great opportunity to learn more about different educational philosophies, what kindergarten teachers look for on the first day of school and activities to do at home to prepare for kindergarten. Limited childcare available. RSVP by March 9.
Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week: March 9 - 13
At ICS, we celebrate this week at a different time than Hallmark Cards and other schools, who usually do it in late spring. The Parent Teacher Fellowship (PTF) is preparing to honor all of our teachers and staff at a special luncheon to be held in the Atrium on Tuesday, March 10.
- Gift Basket Raffle: At the luncheon, the PTF will again offer the ever-popular gift basket raffle, a favorite tradition which the faculty and staff look forward to each year. Theme baskets are put together by the creative efforts and generous donations of ICS parents and classes. Our honorees are given free raffle tickets to “bid” on their theme basket of choice.
- Donations: We are currently accepting donations of all kinds to go into the themed gift baskets. Donations may be large or small, creative or simple, but many are needed — and all are appreciated. Parents (or classes) may provide items and gift cards to go into the gift baskets or they may use their own creativity and talents to put together a complete theme basket. Certificates for services and gift certificates from your work or personal business are also very much appreciated. (And remember that any gift cards purchased directly from ICS also benefits the school.)
- Sign Up to Help: Please take a look at the SignUpGenius we have set up and let us know how you might help. Deadline for item donations is Friday, February 27.
- Complete theme baskets may be dropped off during the week of March 2 – 6.
Please know that participation is completely optional and we appreciate any help you can provide with this effort. With your help, we can show the teachers and staff our tremendous gratitude for their daily work in our children’s lives and send them all home with something fun and memorable. Items and complete theme baskets may be left with the Receptionists marked “PTF Teacher/Staff Appreciation Basket Raffle”. If you have any questions or want to assist with this effort, please email Sharon at email@example.com or call at (703) 573-9054.
ICS Talent Show - Immanuel’s Got Talent!
It’s time for the 4th annual ICS Talent Show…Immanuel’s Got Talent! We are excited to see what new talent this year brings! We are looking for a variety of acts from 4th through 8th grade students to be showcased during an all-school assembly on Friday, May 1st (1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.). Acts may be individual or group, and should be no longer than 4 minutes in length. Students must sign up in their homeroom and return the signed permission form by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 6th in order to audition. No exceptions! All acts may not be chosen, due to time restrictions. Auditions will be held during lunch/recess on Tuesday, March 17th and Thursday, March 19th. If you have any questions, please contact Lauren Umble.
Tributes Needed for Faculty and Staff 20th Anniversaries and Retirements
We encourage you to send a word of appreciation for the following faculty and staff members for their faithful service to Immanuel Christian School. Your message can include memorable moments, photos, as well as expressions of gratitude.
- 20th Anniversary Tributes for Mrs. Carnahan, Mr. Davis, Mrs. Marsh and Mrs. Wallis Help us honor Diane Carnahan, Wayne Davis, Ann Marsh, and Ronda Wallis for their 20 years of faithful service to Immanuel Christian School. Click here to write a tribute to them. Please submit these to us by March 23. There will be an assembly the morning of April 20th for students and parents to recognize their service. Memory albums with your messages will be presented at this assembly. Watch for further details about the assembly in the weeks to come.
- Retirement Tributes for Mrs. Copeland and Mr. Davis We will also be celebrating the retirements of Mary Jo Copeland and Wayne Davis in June. We welcome your tributes for their faithful service. The deadline for these tributes is May 27. Please click here to send your words of appreciation.
X-STEM Symposium – March 3
In conjunction with the US Science and Engineering Festival and X-STEM Symposium, ICS is pleased to host Dr. Tristan Hubsch, from Howard University, on Tuesday, March 3 from 12:00 – 12:45 p.m. in the Seminar Room at Immanuel Bible Church. Dr. Hubsch, faculty member of the Howard University Departments of Physics & Astronomy and Mathematics, will speak to the 6th, 7th, and 8th graders on “Physics and the Theory of Everything.” His presentation will focus on the motivations and inspirations for pursuing the so-called “high-energy physics,” which is also known as “elementary particle physics,” and in particular the so-called “Theory of Everything.” He will discuss the quest for understanding how nature works at its most fundamental level, at the level of the basic ingredients as we now know them.
Note from Clinic
We are seeing a large number of students at school with fevers, sore throats and upset stomachs. If your child is complaining about any of the above symptoms, please be sure to take their temperature before going to school. Your child is not allowed to come to school if they have vomited or had diarrhea within the last 24 hours. They must also stay home if they have had a fever of 100 degrees (or higher) within the last 24 hours. They may return to school after being fever-free for 24 hours without being on fever reducing medication (Tylenol or Motrin). Thank you in advance for doing your part in keeping our kids from spreading illness.
Meetings for Rising 9th Graders
Orientation and curriculum nights are taking place in the public high schools. These are important meetings for upcoming freshmen and parents to attend. Please call your local high school to get the date for your high school’s orientation for rising freshmen or the general curriculum orientation.
Spring Sports Begin in March
Spring sports for varsity boys’ and girls’ softball and varsity boys’ and girls’ lacrosse will begin in March. Varsity sports in the spring includes 6th through 8th graders only. Please don’t hesitate to contact Coach Davis, our Athletic Director, with any questions you may have concerning the upcoming spring season.
Elementary Spring Choir Begins Next Week - March 2
The ICS Children’s Choir will begin the Spring Session on Monday, March 2nd at 1:30 p.m. This is open to grades 3-5 only. Come and “Make a Joyful Noise Unto The Lord.” Register here and click on Extended Care Programs. Hope to see you there!
ICS Library News - Used Book Sale
- Used Book Sale is Coming! The ICS Library will hold a Used Book Sale on Wednesday, May 27- Friday, May 29 in the school library during school hours. Hundreds of children’s books, DVDs, young adult and adult Christian fiction will be available with most items priced at 25 cents! Tell your friends then come browse, buy & save!
- The ICS Library is now accepting donations of used books for the Used Book sale. Children’s books (Grade K-9), DVDs, coffee table books, and adult Christian fiction in good condition are welcome. Let’s recycle those “gently used” books on your shelves! Please bring items to the ICS library (Room C202) during school hours. For questions please contact Library staff: (703)941-1220/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Yearbook Photos and Videos Needed ASAP
We are in need of photos for the yearbook. We need photos of class events and field trips for 4th grade through 7th grade. We are also interested in collecting video clips of different class events, field trips, sports games, etc. you may have taken this year for our end-of-the-year video project. Please email Erika McKellop, Yearbook Coordinator, with your photos and videos by March 6th.
Gift Card Fundraiser Coming to a Close
ICS will not be taking future orders for gift cards; however, we still have a large supply of gift cards available in the school office including Giant, iTunes, Starbucks, Panera and several other restaurants and retailers. Come by the main school office and support ICS by purchasing these cards before they are gone.
Box Tops - Top 3 Submission Winners
Thanks to all those that submitted Box Tops to support ICS. In the 2nd quarter, 935 Box Tops were submitted which totaled $93.50. So far this school year, you have raised $808.20 for the school.
- The top three Box Top submissions for the second quarter are Eliana LaFleur (4th grade): 214 Box Tops, Gracie Spradling (3rd grade): 212 Box Tops and Clayton Miller (1st grade): 201 Box Tops. Congratulations and prizes to be delivered!!! A huge thanks to Jennifer de Vallance (Hayden/Jackson’s mom) for helping with the count this quarter!
- Keep the Box Tops coming for third quarter prizes! Please bring your Box Tops in a Ziploc bag labeled with your child(s) name and grade to the front office. Please make sure you check the expiration dates on the Box Tops because expired Box Tops will not be counted in the totals.
- Don’t forget to sign up and support ICS here. Once you register, you will have access to coupons for box top products and have the opportunity to play fun games and earn eBox Tops for our school.
If you have questions, please contact our coordinator, Sophia Edwards.
Stay in the know with Social Media
Did you know that ICS is on Facebook, Instagram (@icsva) and LinkedIn? If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram and connect with us on LinkedIn. Also, check out our Alumni group on Facebook. We’d love to hear from you!
Immanuel Christian School is now accepting applications for substitute teachers (a college degree is required). Click here to download the application. Mail applications to Mary Jo Copeland at 6915 Braddock Road, Springfield, VA 22151.
Lunch and Recess Help Needed
Parent volunteers are needed to help in the lunch room and at recess from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily (K-4: 11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m. and grades 5-8: 12:45 p.m. -1:30 p.m.). While you help, you can eat lunch with your child, see them interact at recess and get to know fellow parents and your child’s classmates. We are in need of regular volunteers to help one day a week or every other week. Your help gives our teachers a little break in the middle of their day to enjoy their lunch. Please contact Art Merkel, Lunchroom Supervisor or Todd Westfall, Recess Supervisor, if you would like to volunteer.
The Gospel of John Presented at Immanuel Bible Church
Talk about a Bonus Verse! Bring your whole family on Saturday evening, March 28 at 6:00 pm. to Immanuel Bible Church. IBC is hosting The Gospel of John, presented by Marquis Laughlin. Marquis will do a word for word performance of the passion story, from John, Chapter 11 through the end of the book. This will be an outstanding event, both inspiring and evangelical. Tickets are only $5 per person through February. After that the price goes up to $7 a person. Tickets may be purchased on the Immanuel webpage or in the Immanuel Christian Bookstore. To register online, and for more information on Marquis Laughlin, please navigate to the Immanuel Bible Church web page.
IBC Women's Ministry: MOPS/EMOMS/Women's Retreat
- MOPS: All mothers of preschoolers are welcome to attend the March 16 meeting from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. in Room A207/209. Kelly White will be speaking on “Raising Kids Who Can Face Fears.” We’d love to have you join us.
- EMOMS: The next meeting for mothers of elementary-aged children will be Wednesday, March 4 from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. in room A207/209. The topic will be “Painting on a Good Face: Embracing who God made us to be” with Sherry Johansen speaking. Join us! For more information, click here.
- Women’s Retreat: March 6-8, 2015: Mark your calendar for the Women’s Spring Retreat. The theme is “Splash the Living Water: Knowing Him and Making Him Known.” The retreat will be at the Westin Dulles Hotel in Herndon, Virginia. Click here for additional details.
Vacation Bible School at Immanuel Bible Church
Mark your calendars for June 22- 26 for the week of Vacation Bible School.
- AM Program – “The King of the Jungle”: 4 years old by 9/30/15 – entering 3rd grade
- PM Program – “My Heart Radio”: entering 4th – entering 7th grades
Registration begins May 1st. For more information, click here. Invite your friends and neighbors! Hope to see you there.
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|