If you wish to read more information under a title, simply click the title to expand details. We hope this newsletter helps you stay in the loop with news and information at ICS!
No School Monday, May 29: Happy Memorial Day!
Enjoy your day. Classes resume Tuesday, May 30.
Spread the Word About ICS!
If you have a friend who is interested in enrolling their children at ICS for the 2017-2018 school year, now is the time to apply! Please encourage them to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour and receive an information packet. Thank you for helping us continue to inspire purposeful lives!
Used Uniform Giveaway Ends Tomorrow
The Uniform Giveaway takes place this week, May 24-26.
Fiesta Update: Thank you for your support!
Parents, thank you so much for supporting our spring fundraiser “Fiesta”! Our hearts were touched by your generosity, your donations and your volunteer support. Each class donated a beautiful basket and we could not have done it without the fantastic Immanuel families. The bidding on Handbid was a big hit. We raised $122,325 for ICS and it couldn’t have been done without you! The proceeds from “Fiesta” are essential funds for the budget this year and will be used to support the students and faculty of our school. Muchas Gracias!
You are invited to attend Immanuel’s Got Talent on June 2!
Join us for the 6th annual Immanuel’s Got Talent talent show! There will be an all-school assembly on Friday, June 2 at 1:30 p.m. in the Worship Center to see performances from students in grades 5-8. You may even see some ICS staff show off their skills! Parents, family members and friends from all grade levels are invited to attend what is always an awesome event! Please contact Lauren Gessner if you have questions.
2017-2018 School Supply Online Ordering: Deadline June 9
ICS’s partnership with Cornerstone Office Solutions will continue to provide parents and students with an easy-to-order supply kit for next school year. Each kit includes the required supplies for every grade level. Just place the order online and the kits will be delivered to your child’s classroom in time for the ICS Meet & Greet in August – no need to store supply kits at home over the summer. Best of all, a portion of the purchase price will go to ICS! Flyers went home with your child earlier this week. Click here to order. The deadline is June 9.
ICS Chick-fil-A Fundraiser: Tuesday, June 6, 5:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Join the ICS family at Chick-fil-A, Springfield location, Backlick Shopping Center, 6681a Backlick Rd., Springfield, VA 22150 on Tuesday, June 6 from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. Simply mention “Spirit Night for ICS” as you order. We look forward to seeing you there as we raise funds for ICS.
Graduation and Awards: June 13 at 7:15 p.m.
- 8th grade students should report to their classrooms no later than 6:30 p.m.
- Grades 3-7 should report to their classrooms no later than 7:00 p.m. in order to proceed to the Worship Center as a class.
- Please Note: Kindergarten-2nd grade students do not participate in graduation; however, they may attend with their parents.
- Graduation dress code: Students are expected to dress up and follow dress code standards detailed in the “Parent Student Handbook.”
Last Fun Lunch - May 31 & Last Smart Lunch - June 2
- Wednesday, May 31 is the last Fun Lunch of the school year. Thank you to Donna Melendez, Fun Lunch Coordinator, for heading up the program. We couldn’t have this program without her and the great help from our volunteer parents!
- Last Smart Lunch is Friday, June 2
Tommy Hilfiger Uniforms coming to ICS!
- Very soon we will adding Tommy Hilfiger School Uniforms as an option for students, in addition to Lands’ End. Families may find one brand easier on the budget, depending on sales.
- There will be separate links on our ICS website for the particular ICS uniforms from Tommy Hilfiger and Land’s End. Most uniform items are available from both companies except for a few select items. Tommy Hilfiger will offer free logos for 2 weeks in the summer – dates TBA.
- Contact Mary Sue Smith if you have questions.
2017-2018 School Calendar
Click here for the upcoming school year calendar.
Goodbye Mrs. Bradley – Note of appreciation deadline June 1
Immanuel Christian School is blessed with dedicated, talented and loving faculty and staff who serve our parents and students. We are sad when we have to say goodbye to those who are retiring. This summer we will say farewell to Mrs. Donna Bradley. Please take this opportunity to complete this online form by June 1.
ICS Used Book Sale Wednesday, May 31 and Thursday, June 1
Best Book Sale Ever!
- Prices begin at 25 cents. Includes some new books at 75% off retail.
- Book Sale Hours: May 31 and June 1 (Wednesday-Thursday) 8:30 a.m. -3:45 p.m. in the school library (Room C202).
- Featuring fiction and non-fiction books for all ages.
Contact ICS Library staff or 703.941.1220 for more details. Thank you for your support!
End of Quarter Verse Recitation
Thursday, June 1 (retry June 2)
- Grade 1 & 3-8: 3rd & 4th Quarters
Tuesday, June 6 (retry June 7)
- Grade 1: 1st & 2nd Quarters
- Grade 2-4: 3rd & 4th Quarters
Grades 1 – 8: Monday, June 5 (1st try) & Tuesday, June 6 (retry)
Upper School (Grades 6-8) Exam Schedule & Noon Dismissal for Grades 6-8
Tuesday, June 6
7th & 8th grade Language Arts Exam in classrooms
6th grade Math Exam
Wednesday, June 7
8:45 – 10:10 a.m.
8th grade Math Exam
10:20 – 11:45 a.m.
7th grade Math Exam
10:30 – 12:00 p.m.
8th grade Graduation Practice
Immunizations – Rising 6th Graders
Virginia immunization requirements state that all rising 6th graders are required to submit documentation that a tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) booster administered within the last 5 years. This documentation is required for your child to start the 2017-18 school year, and must be turned into the school office by August 1, 2017.
Physical Forms needed for siblings new to ICS next year
If your current student has a sibling who will be joining ICS next year, please remember to provide a current physical and a record of all immunizations prior to August 1, 2017. If you have any questions about what is required, please contact email@example.com.
Sports Day is Thursday, June 8 – Parent Help Needed
Sports Day is coming! This is one of the students’ favorite days of the school year! It takes many volunteers to pull together this day of fun, camaraderie and fitness for our students. We need your help to make this day special.
- To volunteer for events and lunch see the ParentSquare post.
- Grades 1 & 2 will enjoy activities coordinated by Lisa Fisher
- Grades 3-8 participate in activities coordinated by Travis Briggs.
- Students and teachers will wear their Serve-A-Thon/CIA t-shirts.
- A hot dog lunch will be served to students, volunteers, siblings, alumni and teachers. Volunteers may use this time for Parent Service Hours.
- Don’t forget sunscreen!
- Faculty vs. 8th grade volleyball game will be in the gym at 1:30 p.m.
We look forward to seeing you June 8!
Alumni Invited back to ICS on Sports Day, June 8
ICS Alumni are invited back to campus to join us for lunch starting at 11:45 a.m. and then compete in the annual Alumni vs. 8th grade volleyball game on Sports Day, Thursday, June 8. Please RSVP here.
Lost and Found on display June 6-8
Please stop by the display tables in the Breezeway to check for items your student may have lost. Items that have a name in them will be returned to their owner. All items not claimed by June 8 will be donated to Immanuel’s Hope Ministry.
Job Openings for 2017-2018
ICS is now accepting applications for Lower School Teachers, Upper School Teachers, Educational Technology Coordinator, Speech Therapist (part-time), Art Teacher (part-time) and Orchestra Director. Teaching positions are full-time and require an education degree and classroom experience. Visit www.icsva.org/employment for more details and to apply.
Need a Tutor for the Summer?
Looking for an opportunity to keep up with your reading and math skills? The following people will be tutoring this summer in many different subjects. You may contact the tutor by calling or emailing him/her directly.
- Kate Alvarado: Grades 5-8: Science & Math. K8alvarado@gmail.com (970)227-3964
- Sarah Calhoun: Grades K-8, Math/Reading/Language Arts, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Danielle Gleason: Grades K-3, Math, Reading, and Language Arts, email@example.com
- Lindsey Hardenbergh: Grades 6-12, English and Spanish, Lahardenberg@fcps.edu or 571.265.9203
- Jennifer Lubenec: Middle School Math and Writing and ESL (any grade), firstname.lastname@example.org (703)261-3717 or (703)934-8550
- Calla Nyboer: 3-6th Math, L.A., Social Studies, email@example.com
Immanuel Christian School is accepting applications for substitute teachers (a bachelor’s degree is required). Find the application here. Please send your cover letter, resume and application to Eleane McCoy, Lower School Principal (K-Grade 4) or Rachel Reno, Upper School Principal (Grades 5-8).
Lunch and Recess Help Needed
Parent volunteers are needed to help in the lunch room and at recess from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. daily (K-4: 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and grades 5-8: 12:45 – 1:30 p.m.). While you help, you can eat lunch with your child, see them interact at recess and get to know fellow parents and your child’s classmates. We are in need of regular volunteers to help one day a week or every other week. Your help gives our teachers a little break in the middle of their day to enjoy their lunch. To help with lunch, contact Lola Hollenbeck, Lunchroom Coordinator, and to help with recess, contact Julie Neville.
ICS Basketball Camp is June 19-23
ICS will again host its annual ‘funtastic’ basketball camp from Monday – Friday, June 19-23. Camp will be held in the ICS Gym from 8:30 a.m.– 3:00 p.m. Basketball camp is for both boys and girls entering 4th – 9th grades. Click here for registration form.
Vacation Bible School at IBC: June 26-30
Mark your calendars for June 26-30 for the week of Vacation Bible School.
- AM Program: 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (4 years old by 9/30/17 – entering 3rd grade)
- PM Program: 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (entering 4th – entering 6th grades)
Click here to register. $20 per child. Hope to see you there!
|Quick Links:||FACTS||Bonus Verse & Family Lessons||ParentsWeb||Donate Online|